zero level lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

The company I am working at has been rapidly gearing up training and enforcement of NFPA 70E which I am glad to see. My dilemma is a corporate edict of zero level lockout in a production environment. The electricians are very skilled and use common sense in breakdown situations, and work in live control panels, sometimes 480V being present. This is the way I have worked also due to necessity to test and troubleshoot controls. As a new contract supervisor, I am responsible for compliance with company safety policy, which some are taking to the extreme. What are your ideas for dealing with safety of workers not used to donning arc flash suits, etc. for routine testing and repair in panels? How can I cover the requirements without offending the skilled electricians or lengthening response and repair time on breakdowns? As far as I know, there are not sufficient flash suits available in convenient locations for quick access, and if they become available, how do I encourage the electricians to wear them for initial panel entry? Any ideas? The suits are bulky and a pain to get on, especially with production managers charging at you. Any ideas are welcome. Thanx!

batch

Re: zero level lockout

"The suits are bulky and a pain to get on, especially with production managers charging at you."

And it costs the company extra...

But then again they save lives. Whats that worth?

jtb

I agree with you Batch, let me rephrase the question:

How can I convince the electricians to wear them without forcing them? Old habits die hard.

batch

My experience with PPE is that once you get them used to wearing it they will continue wearing it. You need to explain the reasons to wear it. Show examples of what can happen, I prefer graphic examples. These are not always available or permissable. I do feel it is important that people realise accidents happen to anyone and everyone.

Then you have to institute a check policy. This is where YOU make sure that people are performing as required.

Enforcement is mandatory and should be a known consequence and be enorced at all times. Financial punishment in the form of fines or days off work. Also having the non-compliant person do a study and presentation on the failure to use PPE at your next safety meeting.

You just got to stay on them. Tell em its your job and you are going to do it! :)

rong111

a good friend of mine is no longer with us because he did not wear the suit. it is like the butcher that chops the meat without the metal glove because he has been doing it for 20 years and is 'skilled'. i hate to see this. accidents happen when least expected. i hope you can convince these people that it is not an insult but a life protector.

ron g.

Saferguy

Lately at my work place....we faced a similar situation as the one you described and they decided to equip us electricians, with fire retardant clothing. It's somewhat expensive...but confortable and saves lives...!
AND THAT'S WHAT'S ALL ABOUT...!!!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The type of PPE required is directly related to the fault current, as that determines the arc blast hazard. Installing current limiting fuses will vastly reduce the fault current. With low fault currents often PPE can be 600v gloves and fire retardant clothes and eye protecion. The best source of information on this is NFPA 70E Emplyoee Electrical Workplace Requirements. The 2004 edition is just out, its the best place to start. You could predetermine the hazard level ahead of time and post the requried PPE for each panel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.