Zigzag Transformers for Islanding TOV on PV Projects

cyriousn

Occupation
EE & BIM
I'm trying to understand why grounding transformers are put on solar projects where the transformer is Yg-Yg. Is it due to the condition where the ground source is lost if the breaker at the local substation is tripped and the PV site is islanded with the distribution circuit until the PV site shuts down in 2 seconds or less due to islanding detection?

I'm working on a project where there is a zigzag transformer connected on the 600V side of the 23kv/600v Yg-Yg Transformer. The zigzag is fed from a 400A electronic breaker in a switchboard that shunt trips the 2500A MCB. Typically I see Yg - Delta grounding transformers on solar projects so this is a new one for me.

Wouldn't the grounding transformer, under steady state conditions, be a grounding source for the local distribution circuit for imbalances? The rating of the transformer is 867A continuous on the neutral. Is there an easy way to determine what conditions on the distribution circuit could trip the circuit breaker and dump the project?

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The effective grounding XFMR is not used under normal steady state operation, it is used when there is a L-G fault on the utility distribution system that causes it to be isolated at the substation. This removes the ground reference for the distribution system in the substation and now you have a PV system feeding an ungrounded distribution system with a L-G fault until the inverter realizes something is wrong and shuts down. During that period it could cause a TOV event on the distribution system that may damage other customer's electrical systems. The effective grounding transformer will limit the TOV voltage and prevent that damage. That's the short explanation.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Wouldn't the grounding transformer, under steady state conditions, be a grounding source for the local distribution circuit for imbalances? The rating of the transformer is 867A continuous on the neutral. Is there an easy way to determine what conditions on the distribution circuit could trip the circuit breaker and dump the project?
This is true and why it is an effective grounding transformer (EGT) and not a grounding transformer. EGTs are not designed to provide a solid ground like grounding transformers are. They are designed with specific impedances to limit TOV and at the same time limit ground fault current through them so the utility protection system is not desensitized.
The CB protecting the EGT is linked to the main CB so that if the EGT is isolated the PV system cannot back feed the utility distribution system. The CB for the EGT should not trip unless there is a fault on the EGT circuit. Sometimes the neutral current of the EGT is monitored by a relay and if ground fault current over a set point is detected the PV system main CB is opened to take the system offline.

cyriousn

Occupation
EE & BIM
This might be a stupid question but could the 400A breaker rating be too high for protecting the grounding transformer? Is there a condition where the 867A continuous neutral rating is violated from having more than 289A on each phase? We could dial down the breaker rating but I didn't know if we would be looking at any potential nuisance tripping of the solar site.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
This might be a stupid question but could the 400A breaker rating be too high for protecting the grounding transformer? Is there a condition where the 867A continuous neutral rating is violated from having more than 289A on each phase? We could dial down the breaker rating but I didn't know if we would be looking at any potential nuisance tripping of the solar site.
Phase currents do not add to make line current.