Zinsco Arcing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfrishof

I have a client that while inspecting the condo with a Zinsco panel, arcing and failed breakers were noted. Scary stuff. Now the seller is arguing upgrade vs replacement. Besides Dan Friedmans site, I am trying to locate actual case history of failures which resulted in fires, or any direct information from NFPA or CPSC. I'll keep searching but could use any help available.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I've seen a few personally, But in my opinion if there are no damaged breakers now It would be a upgrade. Yes it should be changed I hate them. New modern residential breakers do a much better job of cutting the circuit.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Go to Home Depot, pull one of the "new" zinsco brekers they have and see of there is a UL mark on it. Connecticut UBI Type Z breakers are UL tested according to the cut sheet on them. Perhaps just replacing the breakers could alleviate some concern.

One of my suppliers carries these breakers too. They wouldn't unless there was insurance and guarantee behind it.

steveng

Jfrishof said:
I have a client that while inspecting the condo with a Zinsco panel, arcing and failed breakers were noted. Scary stuff. Now the seller is arguing upgrade vs replacement. Besides Dan Friedmans site, I am trying to locate actual case history of failures which resulted in fires, or any direct information from NFPA or CPSC. I'll keep searching but could use any help available.

you better replace it for your own and there own safety, it's not worth the risk to let it go.;)

mdshunk

If the breakers are burned up, the bus bars are also. The Zinsco bus bars are not available as a replacement part unless you have them specially made, so the only reasonable repair option is a panel changeout. Whether or not you also do a service upgrade at the same time is for you and the customer to hash out.

quogueelectric

steveng said:
thanks for that link, i got one more of those fpe to replace, got rid of a zinsco, and fpe friday, whew, what a load off. ;)
The worst burn I ever got was off a 15a fpe breaker no blow style. Burned the crap out of my wrist from copper splatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.