Zinsco Panels and Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

Energy-Miser said:
greetings,
There has been some comments on usefulness of thermal imaging in checking out this particular panel. I looked online and these devices seem to be pretty pricy. Is there a place that might rent them out for a day or two?
E/M.

Electrorents, and a few others I rent fro (Just can't think of their names right now.

Electrorents 1-800 GE RENTS (guess who use to own them) 1 800 437 3687

Renting ani't all that cheap. Often cheaper to hire a EC that has the equipment.

Energy-Miser

brian john said:
Electrorents, and a few others I rent fro (Just can't think of their names right now.

Electrorents 1-800 GE RENTS (guess who use to own them) 1 800 437 3687

Renting ani't all that cheap. Often cheaper to hire a EC that has the equipment.
Thanks Brian,
Checked them out online, they rent monthly, which will probably be too expensive for this small project of mine. Given test device prices, etc. it seems like panel change is the most viable option for our client. It is nice to know though about the Electrorent for future needs. Thanks for posting it. E/M.

Brady Electric

Zinsco Panels and Breakers

I remember back in the day the Power Company used to give out Meter Base Combo Panel which were Zinsco if your house was total electric.
I always hated the thinn breakers because they took such a small screwdriver, a small thinn Ideal screwdriver used for outlet plates would break the breaker.
Never had much problem with them, just didn't like them and was glad when they got fazed out.
If the HO doesn't want to change the panel because of money or other reasons, why not just set a sub panel of your choice for adding circuits.
Again Marc's comments are good advice (MARC for President)
I guess I could just say on most post ditto on what Marc said but I know you guys would miss me. (Yea Right)
Semper Fi Buddy

Energy-Miser

Brady Electric said:
I remember back in the day the Power Company used to give out Meter Base Combo Panel which were Zinsco if your house was total electric.
I always hated the thinn breakers because they took such a small screwdriver, a small thinn Ideal screwdriver used for outlet plates would break the breaker.
Never had much problem with them, just didn't like them and was glad when they got fazed out.
If the HO doesn't want to change the panel because of money or other reasons, why not just set a sub panel of your choice for adding circuits.
Again Marc's comments are good advice (MARC for President)
I guess I could just say on most post ditto on what Marc said but I know you guys would miss me. (Yea Right)
Semper Fi Buddy
Yes thanks. I thought of the idea of adding subpanel, but am sure the cost of the Zinsco breaker to feed the sub will be substantial, specially added to the cost of the subpanel itself and all the new breakers that will have to go in it. Will need to look into it more closely though. I will know more on monday, but I believe that most of these Zinscos are themselves sub-panels, that are fed by disconnects in another room. BTW, are you leaving the forum? Sounded like you were saying goodbye in your post. E/M

Energy-Miser

brian john said:
These commercial panels are bolt in circuit breakers?

Often panels were Zinsco and the CB's were manufactured by other firms.

Have him (you or a sub) high-current test a a random lot of CB's and see if they pass.

Perform a visual inspectin and IR under load.

Megger the panels.

Perform an FOP across the panel from line lugs to load terminations with load on the CBs.
Hi Brian,
I had a chance to inspect the breakers in three of the panels today. The circuit breakers are plug in type. One 3-pole 100 amp has serious heat damage, and in bad need of replacement. The rest of the breakers seem to be in good shape. The panels are all subpanels, fed by 200 amp fused disconnects with 250 MCM phase conductors and neutral, inside a 2" EMT. The ground seems to be brought from the disconnects to these subpanels through the use of the 2" EMT as the ground conductor, and is bonded to the panel. The subpanels have inspection stickers dated 1973. In the subpanels the ground and neutral are bonded together. I am sure that I will need to separate the ground and neutral in these subpanels. Not sure if the inspector would want to see a new ground conductor drawn through the raceway. Please let me know what anyone thinks of the configuration. Thanks, E/M.

Status
Not open for further replies.