Customer theft

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Customer theft

• Stolen from under the nose of current employer at the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stolen from former employer just as I left.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I would never do that.

Votes: 43 79.6%
  • Not telling.....

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

This came up elsewhere - figure it warrants it's own topic....

Say you're a Licensed Contractor - not big enough to go out on your own, or a JW looking to eventually go solo....

Anyone know of any specific law that says you can not solicit work from say an EC you are employed by???

Any specific to California?

Bigger question - how did to get your first job as an EC???? ;) Steal a client from a one-time boss?

mcclary's electrical

You're not gonna get anywhere back stabbing people. Remember Carma, if you're in a small town, it will catch up with you. Instead, tell the EC you're speaking of that you'll take all his "overflow" or crappy work that he doesn't wanna do. If you treat the first few people right that he sends you to,,he'll probably keep throwing you work (even if it's his rejects)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not proud to say that many of my contractors were gotten as a result of the ec I worked for. I never went after his clients- they always called me.

You will have to fond out calif. law for the rest.

e57

You're not gonna get anywhere back stabbing people. Remember Carma, if you're in a small town, it will catch up with you. Instead, tell the EC you're speaking of that you'll take all his "overflow" or crappy work that he doesn't wanna do. If you treat the first few people right that he sends you to,,he'll probably keep throwing you work (even if it's his rejects)
Topic has nothing to do with me.... I have not stolen or would steal clients - my Krama is clean.... This came up in another unrelated thread...

Wait - I did - a long long time ago - before I had a license....

Last edited:

Dolfan

I am proud to say that I did not steal one customer from any previous employers, but I will also say that I should have been keeping names and numbers.

e57

I am not proud to say that many of my contractors were gotten as a result of the ec I worked for. I never went after his clients- they always called me.
Come on - thats like cheating on your wife - then saying (like a congresman) "I fell...." {Boo Hoo} "Every week-end - on tax payer dollars..."

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am proud to say that I did not steal one customer from any previous employers, but I will also say that I should have been keeping names and numbers.
I have no problem with that. If you are referring to loyalty from a licensed employee then you need to have a contract. Or at least a understanding that you will ask the boss before you do work for a client of his. You cannot stop clients from using the phone.

e57

If any employee of mine attempted at all ever to steal one of my customers they would be fired immediately.
The question - beyond what you feel about it - is there any law against such.

And - IMO you may be putting yourself out there legaly by firing said employee unless there was written disiplenary grounds set in place IMO. In say the form of an MOU or other contract - if not, in an employee manual.

iwire

Staff member
How about this? No one 'owns' a customer, and if a customer is satisfied with their present EC they will have no reason to consider trying another EC. :)

nyerinfl

The question - beyond what you feel about it - is there any law against such.

And - IMO you may be putting yourself out there legaly by firing said employee unless there was written disiplenary grounds set in place IMO. In say the form of an MOU or other contract - if not, in an employee manual.

The real question is are you willing to put your job on the line to do this work and how would your boss react if you got caught?

ultramegabob

If you go out on your own and start a legit business, everyone is fair game. But I feel that if you are accepting a paycheck from someone and then turn around and try to take a customer away from them right under thier nose, it may be legal, but you are a scumbag....

e57

How about this? No one 'owns' a customer, and if a customer is satisfied with their present EC they will have no reason to consider trying another EC. :)
True... But I can not count how many times I have been asked to do side work for that 'customer' who is looking to get a lower rate for the same type of work. (A: "Our rates on Saturday are..", "Is this a seperate project billing?", "Is this an approved change order?")

Is there a law against saying 'yes'? Is there one for offering service to that client - while on the dime of your employer, or after your shift has ended?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
True... But I can not count how many times I have been asked to do side work for that 'customer' who is looking to get a lower rate for the same type of work. (A: "Our rates on Saturday are..", "Is this a seperate project billing?", "Is this an approved change order?")

Is there a law against saying 'yes'? Is there one for offering service to that client - while on the dime of your employer, or after your shift has ended?
I've done some looking and can't find anything specific. There may be some case law. I really don't know how to search that.

ohmhead

Well to me if you work for a electrical contractor then its his hour and not yours .

I do not have the funds or the corporate business smarts to take any of my companys contracts even the little ones .

Iam a old timer with some dignity and just have respect for my company i could never take that course. If i went into business iam going to go on my own 100 percent .

But that said ive seen many others thur the years try it dont know if they were all successful or still in business .

Just step up to the plate and go for it have a little pride in the fact that your company is yours and the work you do is yours .

Theres no law in florida if you have a masters our company says you dont do side jobs .

growler

If you are talking about doing a change order off the books then this is against the law. There is a permit for the job and unless you can find a way to permit the change order as a seperate item then it's unpermitted work. You are not allowed to work under another companies permit without their knowledge.

You would have to take this on a case by case basis but going on a permitted job and doing work may get you into trouble.

I really don't think a boss would have any trouble firing someone for running a seperate business while on his time. Talk to one customer while on the clock and he's got you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.