PV Install with no UL Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

csully12

Has anybody run into an issue with PV installs with equipment that is not UL listed? I ran into an instance where the contractor is installing a non-metallic wireway which the contractor is calling a "cable management system" that is not UL listed. He is telling me because it is a "cable management system" that it doe not require a UL listing. My thought is that it is housing the PV source circuits which are covered by the NEC therefore the cable management system should be considered a non metallic wireway. Just seeing if anybody had any thoughts on this issue.

e57

IMO there many in the PV industry yet to catch up with the electrical world - and yet many electricians resistant take it from them.

Does this "cable management system" also serve as a rain gutter? :roll: Without specifics on the product I could not say one way or the other. It may be better than just stapling it to the side of the building as I have seen done - But I agree it should be a "Raceway" and listed.

csully12

It won't be used as a rain gutter. This will be installed on a large flat roof so stapling it would be out of the question anyways.

csully12

It will be installed on a flat rubber roof between multiple solar arrays. I didn't say it had to be metallic. The cable management system is made of PVC so my belief is it should be considered a non-metallic wireway and covered by the NEC.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
It will be installed on a flat rubber roof between multiple solar arrays. I didn't say it had to be metallic. The cable management system is made of PVC so my belief is it should be considered a non-metallic wireway and covered by the NEC.

Thanks on clearing up the bit about not needing to be a metallic raceway. My brain zoned out towards the end.

If all it's doing is keeping cables which are otherwise rated to be exposed from flopping around, I'm not sure why it has to be listed, UL or otherwise. I've seen plenty of MC cables wire-tied to racks, and I've yet to see a listed wire tie. Also haven't see UL listed nails or green screws.

iwire

Staff member
Has anybody run into an issue with PV installs with equipment that is not UL listed? I ran into an instance where the contractor is installing a non-metallic wireway which the contractor is calling a "cable management system" that is not UL listed. He is telling me because it is a "cable management system" that it doe not require a UL listing. My thought is that it is housing the PV source circuits which are covered by the NEC therefore the cable management system should be considered a non metallic wireway. Just seeing if anybody had any thoughts on this issue.

Are they using this where open single conductor USE would be allowed?

If so I see no requirement for a raceway and if the choose to use a 'cable management system' that would be OK where open USE could be used.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't see where you would need to install the cable in a raceway at all. I agree it may not be a raceway, but not everything that has wires in it is a raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.