J Box behind mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Matt, at this discovery I would have tried to sell her on : make each oultet in that series a gfi outlet, not downstream fed from any other gfi in the series, but rather all wiring pigtailed and placed into line side of each gfi outlet. That way when she trips any gfi- only that one would be affected.:cool:
Good idea. Maybe not every one, though; I'd be happy with all the baths on one GFCI.

Separating the garage from the bath with a new circuit would be an even better idea.

220/221

So, if screws are the determining fact as far as being a permanent finish and it would mean removing part of the building, then any j boxes above the "screwed" in place access panel below are inaccessible right?

As would screws on a jbox cover :D

M. D.

I this any different than Gus's mirror ? I'd rather take this down .

2871049571_8f2a77eeb5.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I this any different than Gus's mirror ? I'd rather take this down .

There is no reason to bury a box behind a wooden cabinet because you can always cut an access into the back of the cabinet. You, obviously, cannot do this with a mirror on the wall.

M. D.

There is no reason to bury a box behind a wooden cabinet because you can always cut an access into the back of the cabinet. You, obviously, cannot do this with a mirror on the wall.

Perhaps there is no reason but I am not obligated to give one whether it is a wooden cabinet or a mirror ,...and mirrors are cut all the time.

Jim W in Tampa

You can cut the mirror. We can not make an exception just because of looks. If it is behind a mirror then it was poor planning. I learned it best to leave romex extra long by making a loop so that after the cabinet is in place you can better find the center. Put box in but easy fix if plan changes by a few inches. NEC does not care what it will cost or how it looks.

macmikeman

Actually if we are to follow the logic of this argument to the letter- then this item is building finish just like a mirror, and is held on by screw(s) and limits access to the wiring in the box as well. So its not code......
Attachment.SubType=THUMB

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Actually if we are to follow the logic of this argument to the letter- then this item is building finish just like a mirror, and is held on by screw(s) and limits access to the wiring in the box as well. So its not code......
Attachment.SubType=THUMB

I don't know about you, but I can't even get to the wires when the device is installed, let alone the plate.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry, the flashing in the picture is very annouying.
Jerry, two things:

1. Welcome to the forum! :)

2. Get over it. :cool: (Just kidding.)

If I change it now, I'll have to conform to the change in the avatar size rule.

Everyone here knows I'm a non-conformist. ;)

Besides, you should be able to scroll it out of your screen, up or down.

Jim W in Tampa

Jerry, two things:

1. Welcome to the forum! :)

2. Get over it. :cool: (Just kidding.)

If I change it now, I'll have to conform to the change in the avatar size rule.

Everyone here knows I'm a non-conformist. ;)

Besides, you should be able to scroll it out of your screen, up or down.

i like it , just wish it had sound with it.

rbwsparky

We install receptacles behind Sub-Zero Refrigerators,Blank face GFIs behind drawers for Undercabinet Task Strips and receptacles behind other kitchen gadgets that are NOT easily removed.I would rather remove that mirror anytime

iwire

Staff member
You know what I love about this site???,.. Last week ,.an attachment plug behind a fridge or gas stove was deemed in-accessible , by some ,.. and therefore could not be used as a disconnecting means for said appliances ,.. fast forward,... today a splice behind a mirror or upper kitchen cabinet is good to go,.. cuz it just requires the removal of a few screws... ???

Different accessibles apply for disconnects vs splices:grin:

iwire

Staff member
Yeah,.. if you say so:roll:

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? :confused:

I am not making anything up, :roll: you can find the difference in Article 100

422.33(A) requires a cord and plug disconnecting means to be accessible.

That would be Accessible as applied to equipment.

On the other hand a j-box must be accessible as applied to wiring methods.

growler

The contractor was on site at inspection and rerouted the romex eliminating the "hidden" box. (There was an open ground that had to be addressed. The reroute took less time than taking the mirror down.)
He conceded it was a bad install but was of the opinion it was not a violation.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

I think that a hidden J-box behind a mirror like that would be enough of a gray area, not clearly defined so that the inspector would have to make a judgment call.

I think you made the right decision based on the fact that it was not time or cost prohibitive to change the location of the box. If it's was going to cost two grand and take two days the code allows for a different judgment call.

The NEC is great but common sense should still play some part in the work we do.

It is a violation because the AHJ has the authority to make said judgment calls and it was called to be a violation. If he was not satisfied with the violation call then he does have the option of going to a higher authority.

This happens a lot when dealing with the law. A person may be found guilty in a lower court but have the decision overturned by a higher court with a different opinion but they are still guilty until the ruling in overturned.

Status
Not open for further replies.