J Box behind mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

The difference between a cabinet and a mirror is that even if the cab installer forgets to cut the access in the back of it - you or someone could still cut one in with minimal damage. Not that it should be buried in the first place. If the mirror installer has it in his head to bury the thing - the method of getting to the box is a hammer, or a glass guy removing the mirror - which still may require replacement of the mirror due to damage. In either case, the box should be accessible. IMO most HO won't care if there is a blank cover in the back of a cabinet, but surely will if there is one smack dab in the middle of a mirror. You could even put a 16X16" box access in the back of a cab, and few would care - it would still be a cabinet, and function as one. The same in a mirror - no longer functions as a mirror per se. I'm sure a few are and have said you can cut an access in a mirror - but the question to those is - "Are you gonna cut it in there?" - if you can not or would not cut the access in there - who will? Is it accessible 'to you' the electrician? Or is it accessible to the glass guy? If buried behind a cabinet - is it accessible 'to you' the electrician? Or a carpenter?

Whats funny about this arguement is that most of us would have a hissy fit if a sheet-rocker buried a box - which is often simpler to find and open than a cabinet or mirror.

JFletcher

Is a junction box installed behind a mirror which is secured by screws and clips a Code violation ?

I would say yes, it is. Besides what others have mentioned, imo the minute a screw comes out of the wall the finish of the building is damaged. Minor damage, but damaged all the same. Ditto with glued on. If it were hanging on wire and clips or sliding mirrored doors like a medicine cabinet, then it would be okay.

What if the j-box were behind something like this:

mirror2.jpg

I'd consider those mirrors permanent and part of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.