GND Rod Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Kraemer

I normally use my roto hammer/demolition tool to drive GND rods.
This site is full of ROCKS, my above method isn't working to well.
I made a driver out of 2" black iron pipe, coupling & a pipe plug. Manged to drive it 1/2 way before it got dark & had to stop. It took almost an hour to get it that far.
I need some quick options or suggestions as I am getting the service inspected tomorrow morning.

kwired

Electron manager
250.53(G)

(G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. The electrode shall be installed such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact with the soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than 2.44 m (8 ft) except that, where rock bottom is encountered, the electrode shall be driven at an oblique angle not to exceed 45 degrees from the vertical or, where rock bottom is encountered at an angle up to 45 degrees, the electrode shall be permitted to be buried in a trench that is at least 750 mm (30 in.) deep. The upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground level unless the aboveground end and the grounding electrode conductor attachment are protected against physical damage as specified in 250.10.

Bob Kraemer

My plan B option is to drive another GND rod @ a 45* angle & pray it bends/skips off of the rocks & seeks it own path.
I'll post up some pictures of this rock filled site over the weekend.

ohmhead

Well
dep13png.jpg

It gos thur anything :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't even begin to tell me that you never ever used the hacksaw in situations like this.

Seriously, I hate ground rods. But you know the options so good luck.

I have learned to love the CEE, where possible, even if it means an extra trip to the site.

Bob Kraemer

I'll use a hack saw if necassary. :grin:
What is CEE?

Don't even begin to tell me that you never ever used the hacksaw in situations like this.

Seriously, I hate ground rods. But you know the options so good luck.

I have learned to love the CEE, where possible, even if it means an extra trip to the site.

danickstr

there is a seal at the stickin up end, don't cut that off. But the 45 degree idea is best, and let it bend along the boulders.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Maybe hit the freshly cut end with a hammer after you "trim it down" give it that driven in look. Lets the inspector know you care. :)

Cut 2" off the top of the rod...then cut off the rest. When the inspector shows up, show him that 2" piece and say, "I'm sorry, I could not get this piece even with grade."

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
CEE = Concrete Encased Electrode. 20' of #4 rebar in the footer or 20' of bare #4 copper in the footer. See 250.52(A)(3)
\

I've been asked to do this Wednesday. This is in lieu of a ground rod? Around here we drive a ground rod, then run the electrode to the meter socket. But I got the impression that he wanted me to terminate the #4 bare copper in the panel with the main disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.