Energy Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm bidding a new house in Mass. The builder told me to include the new energy codes that became effective as of July 1st. Anybody aware of what he is talking about?

mkgrady

OK, I'm going to answer my own question and ask for ideas. After searching the web I came up with a requirement.

Starting July 2010 50 % of lamps must be energy effecient. I assume this means flourescent or LED. Now I'd like to know ways to accomplish this. I can use flourescent in closets and cfl's in the basement keyless fixtures but most fixtures will be recess

Here are the problems I see.

LED recess from what I have seen are big and ugly. All I have seen are for 6" recess and I don't know anybody that likes the look of a 6" recess.

I have avoided CFLs in recess because they are ugly, don't dim, don't seem to throw as much light, aren't listed as an acceptable lamp and the light color is not good.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

cadpoint

Most of OH paddle fans come with 2 CFL's (corkscrew) as does low profile dining rooms lights which have small flat u-tubes.

Your accenting lighting should only be in the living, dining, and it depends on the size, the kitchen, and or a family room. The family room could also be mixed up with the usage.

I recommend Halogen spots 4" recessed and dimmable over any permanent fixtures, offset to TV location, or even have two on another switch to backlight the TV viewing area. 4" can also be used in front of built in structures like book cases, or owner desired accented walls.

Outside floors lights are built with corkscrew bulbs now, as are porch lights. Bathroom and even the combined light fan for a bath all come with CFL's

But the bigger headache, I'll say, is that these a not a stamped set of plans, if it was then you won't have to do this work! I'm guessing this is design build where everybody is behind the GC, and the bottom line (food chain) for client changes is not desired by the GC, and the wishes of the client is not always paramount.

I feel you can easily meet the requirements, but as soon as you understand that some additional lighting either desired by the owner or but the type of light used, that?s where you?re going to hit the wall. JMO!

mkgrady

I recommend Halogen spots 4" recessed and dimmable over any permanent fixtures, offset to TV location, or even have two on another switch to backlight the TV viewing area. 4" can also be used in front of built in structures like book cases, or owner desired accented walls.

I also like halogen recessed lights but they are not what is considered efficient. I normally use about 75% halogen recess and the rest are a mix of incandecent and flourescent. I need to get at least 50% efficient lamps to meet the new energy code. I'm not sure how to do that in a way the customer will like.

electricmanscott

This is a good question. I had heard a few things about this but as usual no info form any government agency. One thing I did hear was that you can no longer run romex through insulated stud bays horizontally.

I'll see if I can get more info.

mkgrady

Well let's all learn something is it 50% of wattage used or just 50% of the lights are energy effiecient? :cool:

Nothing I have seen in this new code gives any guidance beyond "50% of lamps need to be energy effecient". So it make me wonder... If I install a chandelier with 50 bulbs, and make them cfl type, and all other fixture bulbs total 50 more (for a grand total of 100 lamps) then I have met the 50% effecient lamp requirement?

mkgrady

This is a good question. I had heard a few things about this but as usual no info form any government agency. One thing I did hear was that you can no longer run romex through insulated stud bays horizontally.

I'll see if I can get more info.

Holy cow, that would add alot of romex footage to a job. If you do confirm that to be true I'd really like to know.

electricmanscott

Looks like the energy codes are based on the IEEC. If anybody has any info on those chime in please!

Also there is a stricter code cities and towns can adopt called the "Stretch energy codes"

It is important to know what towns those are before you bid a project. A quick look shows, big surprise, Cambridge, Lexington, Newton have all adopted said code.

Story from todays Herald..

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...?articleid=1267542&srvc=home&position=emailed

nhfire77

This is just another reason for me to hate Massachusetts. I think that it's a horrible idea, and I don't do residential, unless I have to.

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing I have seen in this new code gives any guidance beyond "50% of lamps need to be energy effecient". So it make me wonder... If I install a chandelier with 50 bulbs, and make them cfl type, and all other fixture bulbs total 50 more (for a grand total of 100 lamps) then I have met the 50% effecient lamp requirement?

So what is to keep you from installing "energy efficient" lamps in as many luminiares as possible that require 60 watt incandescant or less lamps and then throwing 200 and 300 watt incandescants in the other 50% of the luminaires?

Color temperature is horrible on many of the "efficient sources"

CFL's in the 2700 range are ok, but are a waste of $$ in a closet, pantry, storage room, or some place where they are normally on for short period of time. Number of starts kills the lamp before energy savings has even paid for the lamp.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
In CA, it has to be 50% of the installed wattage, which is based on the rating of the fixture, so if it can take a 100w bulb it doesn't matter if you install a 60w bulb, 50 watts must be high efficacy and screw in CFL's do not qualify. The high efficacy fixtures may not contain a medium base socket.

mkgrady

Looks like the energy codes are based on the IEEC. If anybody has any info on those chime in please!

Also there is a stricter code cities and towns can adopt called the "Stretch energy codes"

It is important to know what towns those are before you bid a project. A quick look shows, big surprise, Cambridge, Lexington, Newton have all adopted said code.

Story from todays Herald..

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...?articleid=1267542&srvc=home&position=emailed

That article says there are 26 communities that have adopted the stretch code. It would be nice if I could find out which 26 they are. The job I'm bidding is in Hingham and the builder says the stretch code does not apply.

It is very frustrating that all I can find is that 50% of lamps must be energy effecient. There must be more language somewhere that spells out the requirements.

mkgrady

In CA, it has to be 50% of the installed wattage, which is based on the rating of the fixture, so if it can take a 100w bulb it doesn't matter if you install a 60w bulb, 50 watts must be high efficacy and screw in CFL's do not qualify. The high efficacy fixtures may not contain a medium base socket.

At least you know what your states rules are. I can't find anything that spells out the requirements on Mass.

BTW, how the heck to you light a home in your state? I can see flourescents in closets and maybe hallways where you don't normally dim the light. What do you do everywhere else?

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
At least you know what your states rules are. I can't find anything that spells out the requirements on Mass.

BTW, how the heck to you light a home in your state? I can see flourescents in closets and maybe hallways where you don't normally dim the light. What do you do everywhere else?

The 50% rule in CA is for kitchens. You have to match every watt of low efficiency lighting with 1 watt of high efficiency light.

In other rooms you can have incandescent if it is either on a dimmer or "vacancy" sensor depending on what type of room.

mkgrady

The 50% rule in CA is for kitchens. You have to match every watt of low efficiency lighting with 1 watt of high efficiency light.

In other rooms you can have incandescent if it is either on a dimmer or "vacancy" sensor depending on what type of room.

What are you installing in the kitchen to get 50% of lamps to be effecient? Are you having to use LED (very expensive) or flourescent recess or something else?

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
What are you installing in the kitchen to get 50% of lamps to be effecient? Are you having to use LED (very expensive) or flourescent recess or something else?

Fluorescent. Over-cabinet, under-cabinet, recessed...

Whatever it takes.

You should see the look of consternation and disbelief on many customers faces when these requirements are explained to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.