Kitchen Island outlet location issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordohio

New construction, flat top kitchen island, 3 sides with greater than 6 in overhang--4th side has lower cabinets/doors --can we put the required receptacle in the side with cabinet doors --say in a 4 inch filler panel between doors?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes you can and you can use these recep. made by sillite. They also com in whire and are TR. This one is shown with a plastic insert overt the recep.

Gallery12.jpg

480sparky

That looks like a safety hazzard to me , if cord is over the edge of the door and it gets pulled open , could pull hot fry pan on someone :confused:

Got a better idea? Sometimes, that's the only way to satisfy the Code and the Inspector.

HO's don't appreciate cords hanging down from the ceiling. :cool:

jwjrw

That looks like a safety hazzard to me , if cord is over the edge of the door and it gets pulled open , could pull hot fry pan on someone :confused:

Those look like fake doors to me. Usually the sides of an island do not have any doors I have seen a few but most open from the front and the sides are for decoration. I see no safety issue. :cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most of the times those island/peninsula recep. never get used. These blend in much better than a standard duplex. They are UL listed and they even make them listed for the floor. Notice how small they are-- 3 3/4" diameter.
frabwoodclosed.jpg

jetlag

Got a better idea? Sometimes, that's the only way to satisfy the Code and the Inspector.

HO's don't appreciate cords hanging down from the ceiling. :cool:

Move it up as high as possible and reverse the doors so the the recep is between 2 hinge sides of doors. Cords will slide off doors that way . I also have cut a hole in c top for cords to go to recep inside cabinet, they make trim with rubber punch outs to dress up the opening , but a recep there will not count as a required outlet . If it was my countertop I would reduce the overhang to 6 '' on at least one of the narrow ends , and put the receps there .

480sparky

Move it up as high as possible and reverse the doors so the the recep is between 2 hinge sides of doors. Cords will slide off doors that way . I also have cut a hole in c top for cords to go to recep inside cabinet, they make trim with rubber punch outs to dress up the opening , but a recep there will not count as a required outlet . If it was my countertop I would reduce the overhang to 6 '' on at least one of the narrow ends , and put the receps there .

All fine suggestions, but there's no requirement that you must do it that way. HOs and designers can get pretty anal about little things like which way a door swings or whether the receptacle is visible from the dining room.

jetlag

Those look like fake doors to me. Usually the sides of an island do not have any doors I have seen a few but most open from the front and the sides are for decoration. I see no safety issue. :cool:

A small child wont see a safety issue either untill hot grease comes down on them from opening the cabinet . If the doors are fake, then that is different but I would still keep the recep high as possible.

electricmanscott

A small child wont see a safety issue either untill hot grease comes down on them from opening the cabinet . If the doors are fake, then that is different but I would still keep the recep high as possible.

Who are all these people with hot pans of grease on their islands? This always seems to be the argument.

ANY receptacle installed on the side of a cabinet is a safety hazard regardless of where it is installed if there is a hot grease cauldron plugged into it.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Yes you can and you can use these recep. made by sillite. They also com in whire and are TR. This one is shown with a plastic insert overt the recep.

Gallery12.jpg

Sounds good to me.

So how is this any different than any recpt. below a countertop?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Who are all these people with hot pans of grease on their islands? This always seems to be the argument.

ANY receptacle installed on the side of a cabinet is a safety hazard regardless of where it is installed if there is a hot grease cauldron plugged into it.

I have an island recept and a fry daddy. I will also have people in and out of my house throughout the holiday season. Some of them will be kids.

I gonna plug the fry daddy in and leave it to New Years. I'll report back with any occurrences of spilled hot grease as they happen.

jetlag

I have an island recept and a fry daddy. I will also have people in and out of my house throughout the holiday season. Some of them will be kids.

I gonna plug the fry daddy in and leave it to New Years. I'll report back with any occurrences of spilled hot grease as they happen.

Send the report to parents who have kids that are scared for life , tell them they should not have used that recep for grease because coffee maker would not have burned as badly .

nhfire77

If you want my opinion, and you may not, I think any outlets, below countertops, on islands or similar areas are a safety hazard.

Ok, I gotta ask, based on what facts?

Your opinion is fine, and maybe even right, but what evidence to you back that up with? (I am not asking for a code reference.)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Ok, I gotta ask, based on what facts?

Your opinion is fine, and maybe even right, but what evidence to you back that up with? (I am not asking for a code reference.)

Evidence none. Using my limited common sense I think that anything that a small child or pet for that matter could grab is a safety hazard.

I do not believe that island 'outlets' meet 90.1(A).

Again just my opinion. And thank God my opinion is not enforceable.

"Low cords should be placed out of reach so children cannot drag appliances off counters and hurt themselves or damage the appliances."

Read more: Appliance Safety for Kids | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5858618_appliance-safety-kids.html#ixzz163ZOOKZw

"Don't let cords dangle over the side of a counter top or tabletop. Keep appliances unplugged except when in use"

http://www.modernmom.com/article/safety-tips-for-children-in-the-kitchen

I could probably find another 100,000 sites on Google but we all understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.