Power Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

That's not the caption on the photo of the flanged inlet. The photo is Exhibit 406.2 and is captioned "Flanged inlet device. (Courtesy of Pass & Seymour/Legrand?)". Exhibit 406.2 follows the opening sentence of 406.6 before both (A) and (B). The opening sentence and the title of the section include "Cord Connectors, and Flanged Surface Devices" in addition to Attachment Plugs.
I agree. In this case, they seem to be calling the plug the male part of the cord that they do not want energized unless connected. For cord powered stuff they show the inlet as a means to accomplish the task without pre-connection energized blades.
Regardless, whatever you call it, it does not have the conductors of a flexible cord connected to it, rather, in the case of the Power Bridge, a Chapter 3 wiring method is attached to the inlet.
Maybe. Is it an NEC installation or not? Is the cord and inlet/outlet part of the premise wiring or not?

Mr 3phase

The product is, after removing all the technicality of it, an extension cord. It is merely made of romex. If one is to consider installing this, then why not just install an outlet and connect it to the premisis wiring? Once this product is installed, it requires the use of an extension cord to power it, and I for one am a big proponent of 'limiting' the use of extension cords.

If one is that concerned about surge protection on a circuit, install protection at the panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What a lot of you are missing is that sometimes a flat screen is on the wall and the components are somewhere else in the house. I am doing a house now that the components are in a pantry in the middle of the house and there are TV's in 6 different locations. These things would come in handy.

mivey

What a lot of you are missing is that sometimes a flat screen is on the wall and the components are somewhere else in the house. I am doing a house now that the components are in a pantry in the middle of the house and there are TV's in 6 different locations. These things would come in handy.
???
I have 6 TV's and connect them with coax. Are you suggesting running extension cords along with the coax?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If one is to consider installing this, then why not just install an outlet and connect it to the premisis wiring?
If you are a renter, this product might not require permission from the landlord. After all it can easily be removed and the wall patched.

I would worry about the flexible cord portion any more than I do the jumbles of power cords behind my entertainment center and computer desk.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
???
I have 6 TV's and connect them with coax. Are you suggesting running extension cords along with the coax?

That is what this product is intended for. You have a surge protector in one location that protects all the TV's thru it via the nm thru the walls.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Regardless, whatever you call it, it does not have the conductors of a flexible cord connected to it, rather, in the case of the Power Bridge, a Chapter 3 wiring method is attached to the inlet.
I have said that since my first post.

Anyways, I say it's legal and with that said, I am going to leave it with you all to continue the debate.
icon12.png

Roger

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
An excellent example. Tying all the grounds together at the central location (note: I am not saying bond the neutral to the EGC) between the communication cables and the power cables that radiate out from the media hub will help to eliminate ground loops.

mivey

That is what this product is intended for. You have a surge protector in one location that protects all the TV's thru it via the nm thru the walls.
I just have surge protection at each location.

Anyways, I say it's legal and with that said, I am going to leave it with you all to continue the debate.
icon12.png
Chicken! :grin:

An excellent example. Tying all the grounds together at the central location (note: I am not saying bond the neutral to the EGC) between the communication cables and the power cables that radiate out from the media hub will help to eliminate ground loops.
I don't have any ground loop problems. That I know of.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Old school. I do not have an HDTV either.
How declasse'. :roll:

:cool:

Actually, I finally just stepped up from a converter, myself, when my good old Hitachi finally went "ph-f-f-t" and went dark. Twenty six years was a good amount of service.

normbac

where will the product line end ceiling fan boxes run to the corner and drop the ext. cord to closest recep

swiches for sconce light applications

back to back recep so you can plug into the bedroom from the liv room

Handy man heaven

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
OK, how does this device help me do that?

You obviously have to run a wire back to the main control area from each TV. Then you can share the surge protection.

Of course, you could just run all you feeds back to the control area receptacle but then you need individual protection at each unit. It is hard to do that with flat screen as some of them require the clock or display receptacles to mount properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.