Exam rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLA

517.2 ? patient bed location. The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area.

1.) I read this as three parts. Is that correct? And is this referring to general care area (exam area) as well as to critical care area?

2.)according to this definition,[or the bed]. This mean to me its referring to a exam bed or exam chair, is this right?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
517.2 ? patient bed location. The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area.

1.) I read this as three parts. Is that correct? And is this referring to general care area (exam area) as well as to critical care area?

2.)according to this definition,[or the bed]. This mean to me its referring to a exam bed or exam chair, is this right?

It means which ever is in athe particular Critical Care Area whether it's a bed or a procedure table.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
517.2 – patient bed location. The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area.

It would have been clearer if the code stated: "The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed of a critical care area, or the procedure table of a critical care area."

It does not apply to a bed that is not used for sleeping and is not in a critical care area.

A typical exam bed or table (like you would find in a typical doctors office) is not a patient bed location. However, it is a patient care area.

I forget what they call it, but its really confusing when a prepositional phrase is applied to more than one noun joined with and/or. Maybe Charlie B. knows what they call that??

Last edited:

JLA

It would have been clearer if the code stated: "The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed of a critical care area, or the procedure table of a critical care area."

It does not apply to a bed that is not used for sleeping and is not in a critical care area.

A typical exam bed or table (like you would find in a typical doctors office) is not a patient bed location. However, it is a patient care area.

I forget what they call it, but its really confusing when a prepositional phrase is applied to more than one noun joined with and/or. Maybe Charlie B. knows what they call that??

So do I have to use hospital grade outlets in a exam room. To me this means you do. I read it [or the bed] as it is a exam table or chair, in any area that a doctor will have on hands examination

raider1

Staff member
So do I have to use hospital grade outlets in a exam room. To me this means you do. I read it [or the bed] as it is a exam table or chair, in any area that a doctor will have on hands examination

In a General care areas only sleeping bed locations require hospital grade receptacles. An exam room in a general care area that does not have a sleeping bed does not require hospital grade receptacles.

In Critical care areas either sleeping bed locations or procedure table locations would required hospital grade receptacles.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

In a General Care area you only need to use HG outlets at the Patient Bed Location, see 517.18

In a Critical Care Area you would use them at the Bed or Proceedure Table, see 517.19

In an Anesthetizing Location see 517.61(C)(2)

Roger

JLA

In a General care areas only sleeping bed locations require hospital grade receptacles. An exam room in a general care area that does not have a sleeping bed does not require hospital grade receptacles.

In Critical care areas either sleeping bed locations or procedure table locations would required hospital grade receptacles.

Chris

yes you are right about sleeping beds and procedure table, but you are forgetting or the bed this is a exam table, that how I understand it.

JLA

In a General Care area you only need to use HG outlets at the Patient Bed Location, see 517.18

In a Critical Care Area you would use them at the Bed or Proceedure Table, see 517.19

In an Anesthetizing Location see 517.61(C)(2)

Roger

What?s a bed to the code? 517.18(B) Each patient Bed location?????., the definition of patient bed location. The location of a sleeping bed, or the bed, or procedure table of a critical care area. In a clinics office or dental office you are not sleeping there, or is it a critical area. There for is a bed (exam table/chair). These offices are general care areas.

raider1

Staff member
yes you are right about sleeping beds and procedure table, but you are forgetting or the bed this is a exam table, that how I understand it.

I believe you are mis-reading the definition of patient bed location.

The definition is broken down into 2 sections,

First section defines sleeping beds and applies to general care areas,

Second is the bed or procedure table of critical care areas.

Hope this helps.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What’s a bed to the code? 517.18(B) Each patient Bed location……………., the definition of patient bed location. The location of a sleeping bed, or the bed, or procedure table of a critical care area. In a clinics office or dental office you are not sleeping there, or is it a critical area. There for is a bed (exam table/chair). These offices are general care areas.
You're not reading or retyping it as it's writen, you are typing it as "The location of a sleeping bed, or the bed, or procedure table of a critical care area".

It is actually
"The location of a patient sleeping bed, or the bed or procedure table of a critical care area." there is no comma after "the bed" so, the definition of a Patient bed is a sleeping bed in a General Care Patient Area or if we are in a Critical Care Patient Area it can be a bed or a procedure table.

Roger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.