How tough are your inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
On the west coast maybe...I hear there are some outstanding inspectors back east.:D

As long as they stay on their side of the Mississippi, we'll be good.:lol: I don't want anyone coming around and showing me up. I didn't say it would be hard, I said I didn't want them to.

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I would be impressed if a inspector around my area knew who Mike Holt was....
A fellow electrical contractor who I met in a (non-required) code update class years ago knew who MH is, went to grounding seminar or class "before MH got famous". But later he got local inspector job, man did he change, "I prefer such-and-such", "well it might be allowed by NEC but no good electrician would do that", etc.

I always passed his inspections, a few times he'd want something changed, if he was right I'd change it, if he was wrong I'd argue (and win, as I recall) and make the change or not according to circumstances.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
From an inspector view, I try to be complete, fair and honest. If I am unsure of what I am looking at I seek out the electrician to discuss the install. Contractors have their own way to deal with inspectors such as talking during the entire inspection in an attempt to distract or waiting until the last minute and acting like the inspector is holding up the job. I have always approached my inspections not as an enforcement but as an education. Sometimes I educate them and sometimes they educate me. For 23 years I have tried to do the best job that I can and not express my "desires" but code related issues with back-up code sections. It is amazing how the minimum codes are supposedly not enforced in the jurisdiction they just worked in supposedly. Of course that changes when you tell them you will call that jurisdiction to verify. Great site and great input. Thanks to everyone that participates.

Wilg

Well said 102. You're right about the education going both ways. In our county we see everything from ancient single wides that take a "team" effort just to put power on safely to cutting edge systems. We recently had a nuclear simulation testing facility built here...that was an education for our team for sure. Definitely had to have their guys guide us through some of what we were seeing.

RICK NAPIER

I agree with 102 but unfortunately you can do 100 good things out there as an inspector and it goes quietly unnoticed but one stupid thing done by an inspector who is either unqualified or full of attitude and it spreads like wild fire. Personally I have learned as much from electricians as they learned from me.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
From an inspector view, I try to be complete, fair and honest. If I am unsure of what I am looking at I seek out the electrician to discuss the install. Contractors have their own way to deal with inspectors such as talking during the entire inspection in an attempt to distract or waiting until the last minute and acting like the inspector is holding up the job. I have always approached my inspections not as an enforcement but as an education. Sometimes I educate them and sometimes they educate me. For 23 years I have tried to do the best job that I can and not express my "desires" but code related issues with back-up code sections. It is amazing how the minimum codes are supposedly not enforced in the jurisdiction they just worked in supposedly. Of course that changes when you tell them you will call that jurisdiction to verify. Great site and great input. Thanks to everyone that participates.

This is when we need a "like" button.

When he said 'our electrical inspectors here' - I think he probably was referring to the one that works in his district/territory or whatever they call it:happyyes:

I keep telling my BO that I'm the best electirical inspector in the city. He keep telling me that I'm the only one. Semantics.:D

kwired

Electron manager
This is when we need a "like" button.

I keep telling my BO that I'm the best electirical inspector in the city. He keep telling me that I'm the only one. Semantics.:D

If you take a vacation do all the electricians that work in your city also need to take one at same time?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.