Use a 200 amp panel for 100 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Is ther any reason I can't use a 200 amp main breaker panel on a 100 amp service if I remove the main breaker and install a 100 amp breaker on the buss do I need to lock down the 100 amp breaker any advice apriciated this is single phase residential

templdl

Is ther any reason I can't use a 200 amp main breaker panel on a 100 amp service if I remove the main breaker and install a 100 amp breaker on the buss do I need to lock down the 100 amp breaker any advice apriciated this is single phase residential

I can't see an issue with what you are proposing to do. I would be concerned about the UL listing though even though both of us would see no other issues in doing so. You may want to dot you "I"s and cross your "T"s to assure that you can maintain the service entrance listing. It may be up to the AHJ. It wouldn't be a lot of fun if you were shot down on a technicality.
What size conduit do you have coming into the panel? Is it being feed with AL or CU? If the run isn't all that far is it possible to replace the cable from the meter to the panel with CU sized for 150A? This would be dependent upon what the actual service drop is which may be 200a.

I made that mistake when I changed a 100a 20ckt Sylvania panel to a 100a 30ckt C-H panel and still had to add a subpanel anyway. It was after the fact that I realized that with the 1-1/4" conduit from the meter to the panel I could have used CU that would have allowed for 150a knowing that the standard service drop was 200a anyway. I too wanted a 42 ckt panel with a 100a breaker but the style main breaker wasn't available with a 100a rating. So much for 20/20 hind sight.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

IF I understand you could you backfeed a 100 AMP breaker on the buss? Yes. I do not know why you would be forced to remove the 200 AMP main.

Jerseydaze

I just think it might cause confusion if I leave the 200 amp in also I know cuttler hammer has a plastic piece that holds in 100 amp breaker is that something for code?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

only objection i could see is if you could later change the breaker back to 200 amp,
and overload the service entrance conductors... i'd say if you sized the SE conducors
for the maximum buss amperage, there isn't anything anyone could say....

i'm just wondering *why*...... :dunce:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would you remove the main breaker? Just make sure this is a tie down kit so that the new main can be properly mounted in the panel. 408.36(D)

rt66electric

been ther done that

been ther done that

I have used a 200 30ckt panel and fed it with a 100 amp side fed w/the little plastic hold down.
An advantage it is larger and covers a bigger hole , and room to splice wires if needed.
Save the 200amp breaker for another job.

I Simply screwed a1900 blank over the 200 amp empty panel cover hole.
Inspector said "it looks fine"

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
As long as the new panel maintains its "suitable for use as service equipment" rating, I don't see why not.

I've used 200 amp panels fed from a 100 amp feeder just for more spaces. But I've never used one on a service that way.

John120/240

Enlighten/educate me

Enlighten/educate me

I just don't see any adverse issue here. 100 amp in on line side of meter, 100 amp out

on load side of meter to panel. Omit the 100 amp buss mounted breaker.

What have I overlooked or missed ??

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
UL listing issue?
The panel was listed as 200Amps and you are replacing the 200Amp breaker with a 100Amp. Certainly not an overload issue but just listing issue.

kwired

Electron manager
IF I understand you could you backfeed a 100 AMP breaker on the buss? Yes. I do not know why you would be forced to remove the 200 AMP main.
Agreed, you could use it as a subfeed device - it's still limited by the actual main.

I just think it might cause confusion if I leave the 200 amp in also I know cuttler hammer has a plastic piece that holds in 100 amp breaker is that something for code?
That is what labeling is for. Your Backfed main needs labeling anyway.

UL listing issue?
The panel was listed as 200Amps and you are replacing the 200Amp breaker with a 100Amp. Certainly not an overload issue but just listing issue.
You are still transfering 100 amps max between the bus and the jaws of the breaker - does it really matter which one is the supply side?

If you properly backfeed a breaker and use a hold down device made by the panel manufacturer chances are it only works in certain spots designed for it, and the manufacturer likely has it listed for the application or they wouldn't even design it that way. I am mostly familar with the Square D panels, but their hold down kits generally only fit the spaces nearest the main lug/breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Breaker has to be listed for backfeed (essentially cannot have line/load markings).
Op is talking about a plug in style breaker. Line snaps to the buss bar and the load is the lugs on the breaker-- I have never seen this style marked line/load

kwired

Electron manager
Must have missed him saying snap-in...
Well he really did not say it was a snap-in, but did mention a hold down device - not much need for one of those with bolt on breakers, breakers with lugs on both ends usually are bolted in place also and need no additional device added for holding it. I think we all assumed we were talking plug in/on type breakers.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Well he really did not say it was a snap-in, but did mention a hold down device - not much need for one of those with bolt on breakers, breakers with lugs on both ends usually are bolted in place also and need no additional device added for holding it. I think we all assumed we were talking plug in/on type breakers.
I didn't miss mention of the hold-in device... :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.