Comfortable work boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

I'm getting ready to get me another pair of work boots. Thought I would ask what boots work best for some of you. I've tried the cheap brands and they have got me through, but I'm ready for some comfortable, durable, and waterproof boots. The cheap brand lasted pretty good, but they were too heavy for me. I've tried Red Wings years ago and wasn't too impressed. They didn't seem much different than the cheap ones. I'm thinking maybe of Rockport boots, Wolverines, or Timberland. Has anyone had sucess with these or others? Thanks for the imput. I was on an extension ladder yesterday, and with no tread on my old ones, it was pretty dangerous:(

By the way, I don't seem to work good with steel toes. When bending down to put in outlets, they seem to cut into my toes ( not comfortable ).

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Wolverines, or ... By the way, I don't seem to work good with steel toes. When bending down to put in outlets, they seem to cut into my toes ( not comfortable ).

IF THEY FIT ... and they don't fit my foot ... Wolverine Durashock are among the best. I loved them for 2 hours and friends swear by them.

I have a very broad toe-end, and have a problem in general, but especially with safety shoes ... the caps seem to be smaller that anywhere else. I found Rocky Boots MobiLite 6114 to be the most comfortable boots I ever owned. I even bought the non-safety version, 7114 to wear other times ... and they may be my very most comfortable shoes.

Not cheap, but not sky high either ... about $150 retail non safety, $155 safety. They go to 15 in wide, and to 16 in medium. They are not terribly hard to find on the internet, but my size 14W are ...

ASTM F2413-05 Electrical Hazard Standard
▪ASTM F2413-05 I/75 C/75 Protective Toe Classification
▪Guaranteed Rocky Waterproof construction
▪Oil resistant 3 part MobiLite outsole is lighter than standard outsoles
▪Polyurethane Footbed
▪Steel protective Toe
▪TPU Torsion stabilizer
▪Widest Toe box in the industry

cadpoint

"Wolverines" . . . have worked for me over the years...

Look for a shoe that can be re-souled, but in most cases shoes doesn't lend themselves to this application.

I just got my thermal's redone!

For me it's usually the type of surface that determines shoe life, and you get what you pay for...

Last edited:

johnmccoll

Just purchased a pair of Keen, Pittsburgh steel toed work boots. Have done the most comfortable boot I've owned. They also have non safety toed boots. Haven't had them long enough to know about durability, however I've owned Keen hiking boots that wear very well. They ar ent cheap, but when your working on your feet all day, I've never believed that boots is where you want to try to save money. In my experience, its worth it to splurge on your feet!

John120/240

I vote for Hy Test safety boots. Ones with a green stripe around the sole, You will wear out

the leather uppers before you wear out the soles. $145 or so. Hy Test is a part of Wolverine

I think. .02 FWIW

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I'm getting ready to get me another pair of work boots. Thought I would ask what boots work best for some of you. I've tried the cheap brands and they have got me through, but I'm ready for some comfortable, durable, and waterproof boots. The cheap brand lasted pretty good, but they were too heavy for me. I've tried Red Wings years ago and wasn't too impressed. They didn't seem much different than the cheap ones. I'm thinking maybe of Rockport boots, Wolverines, or Timberland. Has anyone had sucess with these or others? Thanks for the imput. I was on an extension ladder yesterday, and with no tread on my old ones, it was pretty dangerous:(

By the way, I don't seem to work good with steel toes. When bending down to put in outlets, they seem to cut into my toes ( not comfortable ).

I have found that these are the best boots out there for the money Red Wings 606...

00606redwing_thumb_png.png

Use this stuff to keep them clean and the oil protects the leather,,You can also use that on your tool belt as well..:thumbsup:

unnamed-9.jpg

wtucker

The thing about shoes is that they're all built on a form called a "last," which is a sort of a model of a foot. Companies make shoes on several different lasts, and you can often find out which last is the basis for which model shoe. So, if you find a shoe that fits you well, then any shoe made on the same last will fit you exactly the same.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The thing about shoes is that they're all built on a form called a "last," which is a sort of a model of a foot. Companies make shoes on several different lasts, and you can often find out which last is the basis for which model shoe. So, if you find a shoe that fits you well, then any shoe made on the same last will fit you exactly the same.
That sounds good.:thumbsup:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If you only want boots, I bought a pair of Outdoor Gear from Big-5 on sale they were like $45. I have worn them almost every day for a year and they are just now starting to get a little worn in the sole. I have a bad foot also and I can't break in shoes, they have to be comfortable when I first put them on and these were great.

Now I will admit that while I work in the same enviornment that you guys do, I don't do the same work you do, so I couldn't tell you if they would take the wear and tear of a job site.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Another thing to look for in boots, if you do a lot of residential, is do they scuff the floors. With some boots everytime you slide your foot, they leave a black mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.