RGS vs. EMT Labor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Ok you have a 20' foot run of each on concrete and no bends. With the couplings and connectors(compression for the EMT) and straps(equal for both) which takes more labor to install. I think many would automatically assume RGS but I guess how many cut & threads is the determining factor???

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
If your a contractor and your asking questions like this, your going to go broke real fast.
Rigid takes longer to install than emt, and even cost more to buy

growler

Ok you have a 20' foot run of each on concrete and no bends. With the couplings and connectors(compression for the EMT) and straps(equal for both) which takes more labor to install. I think many would automatically assume RGS but I guess how many cut & threads is the determining factor???

Ok so it's 4 inch rigid and 4 inch EMT and you have to carry it a 1/4 mile from the truck and up 6 flights of stairs?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

My guess would be very little in the way of difference, with some edge to EMT. But it might be a little faster with RGS for some situations.

But you have created an artificial question that can't really be answered short of more specifics. A single run of either will probably involve more travel time and prep work than the actual installation time.

cdslotz

Did you enter each into your estimating software?
What did it tell you?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

i am assuming you mean mounted on a wall,
running horizontally. call it 5' off the floor.

let's pick a common size of conduit... say.... 4".
i can take a square washer, with a spring nut, set
it at the bottom of the pipe, slip half a strap on
the strut, and put a stick of 4" up there myself,
slide a second one into the coupling, put the three
top halfs of the straps on, tighten them, snug up
the coupling, and i'm good to go.

nevermind cutting and threading.

what i want YOU to do, is to stand there with
that single stick of 4" GRC on your shoulder for the
length of time it took me to type this, and then
see if you feel like putting it up on the wall.

and then, BY YOURSELF, spin the second
stick on to the first one.

THEN COME BACK AND TELL US WHAT YOU
DISCOVERED ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE IN TIME.

satcom

If your a contractor and your asking questions like this, your going to go broke real fast.
Rigid takes longer to install than emt, and even cost more to buy

You have that right, depending on the job conditions, and skill of your men, the time and material for Rigid will cost more, the last job we did in a hallway area the rigid run was 3 times the cost of a same run EMT 2 years prior in the same hallway

mstrlucky74

According to Means, the labor for installing RGS is just about double that of EMT.
db

NECA MLU normal, difficult & very difficult

Just the conduit...no fittings.... I think the fitting is what brings EMT labor higher and RGS.....

3/4"EMT- 5,6.2&7.5
3/4" RGS- 6,7.5&9

cdslotz

Sure.
You asked "how much labor does it take to install?"
My response was to enter it both ways into your system.
You did.
My opinion is, you answered your own question
Now, is this an actual install decision? Do you have a choice of GRC vs EMT?

SalixKetuur

Column 3 labour units

Column 3 labour units

NECA labour column 3 using Accubid: I have 8.31hrs for EMT and 17.06hrs for GRC, with database material fro GRC double that of EMT.

mstrlucky74

Sure.
You asked "how much labor does it take to install?"
My response was to enter it both ways into your system.
You did.
My opinion is, you answered your own question
Now, is this an actual install decision? Do you have a choice of GRC vs EMT?

Thanks. No its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.