Cutting and threading rigid

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Should you always measure exactly to the center of couplings, or should you - a 1/8 or 16th inch? Also same for LB's etc. should you measure exactly to the bottom or minus a 1/8 or 16th inch? Thank you for your help.

liquidtite

i like to give a 1/8 inch of play but thats just me also i know its more expensive but if you use compression couplings and connectors it can save time on threading if your runing alot of pipe

jusme123

Occupation
JW
i like to give a 1/8 inch of play but thats just me also i know its more expensive but if you use compression couplings and connectors it can save time on threading if your runing alot of pipe

make sure your specs allow rigid compression connectors, as some do not

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The quality of the conduit bodies is so poor that you cannot use a set amount of thread length. With the same die setting and the same brand of fittings the number of threads showing can vary from none to 3 or 4 when the conduit is made up wrench tight.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I feel you pain with conduit bodies not threading on all of the way.

These things are the bane of my existence, sometimes requiring that the RMC be shortened by half the thread length just to get these on to a point where the two conduit ends can touch. Or if we're using an adjustable threading machine we'll set the cut a little deeper than standard. I cannot understand why a rigid coupling will thread on all of the way but these pieces of junk won't. :rant:

65505B.jpg

liquidtite

Ya we had the same problem with erikson connectors.Left threads showing could not tighten all the way.Witch I'm Shure will lead to rusting more rapidly than if threads were in connector all the way

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Using some Red Dot stuff right now that is really irking me.
I only use the Red Dot MALBs and they seem to thread on ok, but the inside edge at the cover is very sharp and you have to be careful not to get cut or damage the conductor insulation.
The conduit bodies I use are Crouse or Appleton form 7s and we have the same issue with both brands. The threads or the amount of galvanizing on the threads are not consistent making difficult to get the threader set correctly. I have started setting is much deeper than normal and cutting the threads shorter than normal, letting the taper at the end of the thread tighten against the female threads on the conduit bodies.

zappy

what about factory threads

what about factory threads

All conduit comes from the factory with the threading 3/4" down correct? So why when we cut and thread, we go 7/8" or more? Why not always thread 3/4" down?

kwired

Electron manager
Wouldn't that depend on the RMC size? Larger sized RMC has up to 2" of thread.
Yes, but in no case will the taper be any longer than the die that cut the thread, even if the threaded portion of the pipe is longer.

Not quite sure if larger sizes use a different taper or not, I was thinking it is all the same taper, just the thread pitch is different in larger sizes.

kwired

Electron manager
I feel you pain with conduit bodies not threading on all of the way.

These things are the bane of my existence, sometimes requiring that the RMC be shortened by half the thread length just to get these on to a point where the two conduit ends can touch. Or if we're using an adjustable threading machine we'll set the cut a little deeper than standard. I cannot understand why a rigid coupling will thread on all of the way but these pieces of junk won't. :rant:

65505B.jpg

Some factors that will make a difference, cast vs machined threads, straight vs tapered threads.

Ya we had the same problem with erikson connectors.Left threads showing could not tighten all the way.Witch I'm Shure will lead to rusting more rapidly than if threads were in connector all the way

Last sentence in 300.6(A):

Where corrosion protection is necessary and the conduit is threaded in the field, the threads shall be coated with an approved electrically conductive, corrosion-resistant compound.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The taper of the conduit threads is to be 3/4" per foot. This is fixed by the die and as others have said the tapered part of the thread for fixed dies can be no longer than the die itself.

When we cut "deeper" threads, we do not change the taper, it is the OD that changes.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Should you always measure exactly to the center of couplings, or should you - a 1/8 or 16th inch? Also same for LB's etc. should you measure exactly to the bottom or minus a 1/8 or 16th inch? Thank you for your help.

For me, I measure to the center of the coupling. But I also check the depth after doing a couple to verify it's correct, then adjust/deduct as necessary. It's different depending on if I'm hand threading or using a pony/power threader. Condulets/boxes are tough for a depth measurement, because like Don said, they don't always thread consistently. I usually figure 5/8" into the hub as a starting depth for those.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The threading machines that we use for 2.5"-4" RMC taper the entire thread with a die that's only an inch long, this is even for threads that are close to 2" in length. That's because the die adjuster rides on an angled block which allow the entire thread to be cut as a taper.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The threading machines that we use for 2.5"-4" RMC taper the entire thread with a die that's only an inch long, this is even for threads that are close to 2" in length. That's because the die adjuster rides on an angled block which allow the entire thread to be cut as a taper.

Yep, that's how our Rigid threader does it on the bigger sizes.

kwired

Electron manager

But the tapering still stops at some point. You can't continue threading until you break through the inner wall of the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.