Are Push-In type connectors used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny123

I was walking through the local hardware store the other day, and came across a package of In-Sure? Push-In Wire Connectors. They looked like a neat product to me, but I wondered if they were actually being used by anybody?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Halo has them in there recessed cans. All you need to do is strip the field wiring and push it in the connector. The fixture wire is already inserted.

Not sure I trust them for heavier loads.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I use Wago's and Ideal's all the time with great results. No difference between these and non bolt in circuit breakers.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I use Wago's and Ideal's all the time with great results. No difference between these and non bolt in circuit breakers.

With that logic would you also say that push in receptacle slots were reliable. I see the Wago's as having the same function as a push in the back receptacle. It relies on tension to hold the wire not screws.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
With that logic would you also say that push in receptacle slots were reliable. I see the Wago's as having the same function as a push in the back receptacle. It relies on tension to hold the wire not screws.

probably has the same thermal expansion rate and will eventually fail same as receptacles.

Last week I bought push-in connectors for the first time. So far I like them. Quick, easy, simple. Hoping they hold up to the test of time (and power/heat)! I still won't "backstab" switches and recepticals. Way too many service calls over the years finding that as the problem (especially the decora style).

But, to those of you that stabbed before me......thanks for the job security:p

kwired

Electron manager
Anyone seen a failed Wago? I have not
Anyone seen a failed push termination on a device? I have

How about you?

There are similarities, there are also differences.

When you make up a receptacle, you insert the conductors into the termination, then you push against that termination when mounting the receptacle in the box. Who knows if there is any pressure in the wrong direction, or at the wrong point compromising that connection. With the Wago (or similar) product, you insert the conductor(s) in the device and then you usually bend the conductors instead of pushing the device to position it.

I've seen 1 failed wago in all the years I've been using them. This one was on a residential circuit where they were running 2 1500 watt space heaters on a circuit, connected to a Zinsco breaker that never tripped (imagine that). And I suspect that the wago wasn't properly installed, but can't be sure.

We use them extensively.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
There are similarities, there are also differences.

When you make up a receptacle, you insert the conductors into the termination, then you push against that termination when mounting the receptacle in the box. Who knows if there is any pressure in the wrong direction, or at the wrong point compromising that connection. With the Wago (or similar) product, you insert the conductor(s) in the device and then you usually bend the conductors instead of pushing the device to position it.

Good point.

MarineTech

I've seen 1 failed wago in all the years I've been using them. This one was on a residential circuit where they were running 2 1500 watt space heaters on a circuit, connected to a Zinsco breaker that never tripped (imagine that). And I suspect that the wago wasn't properly installed, but can't be sure.

We use them extensively.

@electricguy61

Could you please tell me the WAGO product you are using? Is it the WAGO Series 773?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Anyone seen a failed Wago? I have not
Anyone seen a failed push termination on a device? I have

How about you?

How long have Wago's been around and how long have push type terminals been around for receptacles?

Also the fact that you constantly push in and out on receptacles may be the reason they are likely to fail and the wago's may not. As I stated before I have only seen wago's used for one light not 20 amp loads. They may do fine without the constant motion. IDK

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
The Wagos and Backstabable Devices I use are all UL listed. Doesn't that mean they have been tested for their intended use? IMO, if Wago's et al are properly installed, there should be no problem.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician

They must be properly installed. The strip guage is there for a reason and a lot of guys ignore it. I'd venture to say many issues with backstabbed devices are do to short stripped wires.

djd

There is a difference I never trouble any many problem with wago and or push in connectors as receps using , maybe quality ?

RLyons

IMG_0016_zps1ceeb5f3.jpg

My opinion: If you consider yourself an electrician who does quality work, use wire nuts and pre twist. Post twisting is acceptable but pre-twisting has the advantage of allowing you to inspect before the wire nuts goes on (and I think is just plain quicker than twisting that wirenut so may times). The Wagos havent been around that long and I predict that with time they will be no different than backstabs. How much money and time are you really saving? Did a service call for a backstabbed outlet that failed, and Ill bet the cost of that service call would have covered the extra time to not backstab. Maybe Im just equivalent to the guy 60 years ago who said "forget these wirenuts, Im grabbing my solder..." but time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.