Backstabbing at your home

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Well, there is travel time and diagnostics involved, not just changing a known bad receptacle. (Unless it caught fire, of course.)

Seems if he's encountering that many, he should just about have a sixth sense, to where he'd simply go in a house and walk right up to the culprit.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Never! Bought a trailer house before I was a first year. Lost 1/3 of the house circuit took me forever it seemed like to find and fix the problem (about 4 hours). All receptacles were in series and it ended up behind a bed. Scarry deal when you just start in the trade and aren't 100% sure how to find the problem.

IMO Most residential wiremen that build these quick fab homes only have to have two years experience to get their licence. Granted thats all they can do. But they do they get the chance to troubleshooting their installations after their warranty is over and the devices fail? If it's a UL listed device and installed correctly should it be such an issue?

It isn't residential wiremen wiring these devices in mobile homes. They are wired in the factory by whoever, and inspected in house to HUD standards, not the NEC.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Well, there is travel time and diagnostics involved, not just changing a known bad receptacle. (Unless it caught fire, of course.)

That was my thought as well.

The other was: Are the Electricians so bad in Ohio that they can't even backstab a receptacle without screwing it up?

I have been in business for 35 years and haven't seen but two or three a year, maybe. Population density may have something to do with it.

Cletis

I have no idea why its bad around here really. But, most of calls are from space heaters then wall a/c units (not on a dedicated), so on and so forth. Typically, it's 1-2hrs to find it then fix it hence the 233.00 avg you came up with. Most of what we do are emergency service calls residential so maybe thats why we get this many calls. This is a free for all state so these guys wiring up new houses are not very good

kwired

Electron manager
What city/state you in and how many employees you have ?
NE, in a rural area, generally work alone, and don't prefer to do residential wiring but still do some, so I am limiting myself to exposure to some degree, but getting close to 30 years in the trade and I bet I only have found two or three such failures at the most in any one year, and usually in homes constructed in 1970's or 1980's , a time when we had a lot of non electrical professionals wiring these homes.

I have no idea why its bad around here really. But, most of calls are from space heaters then wall a/c units (not on a dedicated), so on and so forth. Typically, it's 1-2hrs to find it then fix it hence the 233.00 avg you came up with. Most of what we do are emergency service calls residential so maybe thats why we get this many calls. This is a free for all state so these guys wiring up new houses are not very good

I get melted down cheap receptacles with space heaters or A/C units whether backstabbed or not, and it usually is simple troubleshooting those as the problem is not very concealed, those that maybe are backstabbed may not fit into my two or three a year mentioned before - though I don't really run into all that many of these either, I think partly because it is obvious to find, that the owners are replacing them themselves, I'm sure this happens more then I have seen it.

Jon1980

Inactive, Email Never Verified
It isn't residential wiremen wiring these devices in mobile homes. They are wired in the factory by whoever, and inspected in house to HUD standards, not the NEC.

Yes I understand that mobile homes are manufacture and all manufactured homes are backstabbed, at least all I have seen. I was referring to sub divisions and the 15 amp backstab devices.

Also when doing a remodel or even new construction code requires us to install an AFCI or GFCI breaker or device. Alot of times home owners will remove these due to nuisance tripping. So if a backstabbed device should fail with one of these removed and God forbid cause a fire. We can't be held liable can we?

kwired

Electron manager
Yes I understand that mobile homes are manufacture and all manufactured homes are backstabbed, at least all I have seen. I was referring to sub divisions and the 15 amp backstab devices.

Also when doing a remodel or even new construction code requires us to install an AFCI or GFCI breaker or device. Alot of times home owners will remove these due to nuisance tripping. So if a backstabbed device should fail with one of these removed and God forbid cause a fire. We can't be held liable can we?
The more evidence you have showing your install was code compliant when you left it for the owner, the easier you will get out of any lawsuit should one come up. Permits and inspections are a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.