Backstabbing at your home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

If you personally wired your own house, would you backstab 15 and 20 amp devices ?

Be Truthful

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If you personally wired your own house, would you backstab 15 and 20 amp devices ?

Be Truthful

Yes for 15 amp and I would for 20 amp circuits too if they accepted #12 conductors.

Roger

Cletis

I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of it. I think it should be outlawed imo and I also think there is plenty of evidence against it. All I see is this when I close my eyes and think of backstabbing before bedtime

Attachments

• IR_backstab_receptacle_1.jpg
    IR_backstab_receptacle_1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
I imagine I would probably go ahead and wrap around the screws, but if I was going to backstab I would rather do it in my own home.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not only will I not back stab a device in my house, I would never even use a wiring device that could be back stabbed in my house. The only devices that can be back stabbed are the bottom of the line junk.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't even use the back wired pressure plates with solid wire. 99% of the time I wrap around the screw, even with stranded conductors.

iwire

Staff member
Not only will I not back stab a device in my house, I would never even use a wiring device that could be back stabbed in my house. The only devices that can be back stabbed are the bottom of the line junk.

I have used Home depot cheap junk in my home and likely will again. :D

They work fine to run CFL lamps, battery chargers etc. I don't usually plug heavy loads at the house.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The problem (as I see it) with back-stabbing receptacles is the "cascading" from one to another (pair in-pair out & not from a pig-tailed splice). If you have (let's say) 8 receptacles on a cascaded run and begin plugging in appliances down stream of the first one, that first receptacle is taking the heat for all beyond it. From my experience that first receptacle is usually the one where the problem arises. However, even though I choose not to back-stab, I see no problem back-stabbing from a pig-tailed splice. At least that way any problem that may arise is localized to that device because I believe a properly twisted, wire nutted splice is a stronger connection than a cascaded receptacle. AND we all know that HO's are going to stop at HD and pick up a few 12 amp heaters and plug them in wherever they see a receptacle. Back-stabbed receptacles are not going to hold up to high amperage draw appliances (at least not for long).

Another problem I have with back-stabbing receptacles is that this wiring method is done strictly for speed wiring and to save $$ on labor. I usually find this wiring method done in track-built homes. That electrician is getting the same $$ for 100 units so he tries to find ways to make up a few $$ wherever he can. When you buy a receptacle the screws on the receptacle are all the way out. You get to the outlet position, strip the wires, stab them in, screw the receptacle in, put the cover plate on - done in less than 1 minute (never touching the screws on the device).

If stabbing is such a great and revolutionary wiring method you have to ask yourself :
  1. Why don't they make receptacles where you can back-stab the EGC ?
  2. Why do you have to crimp or splice the EGC together before connecting it to the receptacle?
  3. Why don't they make receptacles so that EGC's can be cascaded as as well ?
  4. Why do they no longer make receptacles that accept # 12 wiring in the back-stab ports ?
  5. If you're working for a track builder did you take the job for so few $$ that back-stabbing is going to save you that much $$ ?

Sorry to drone on so long.

Being honest - no I wouldn't use the back-stab method in my home or anyone else's for that matter.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

They work fine to run CFL lamps, battery chargers etc. I don't usually plug heavy loads at the house.

Yes, we know you like code minimum. But as for me I am what you call a loose screw, I seek for the best :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Yes, there are lots sold, but it is just something I would never use.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty

+1, zero backstab devices in own home. Do have a lot of the clamp plate devices but do not consider those 'backstab' although some folks do. All spec grade in own home, mostly Hubbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.