How far can unfused Service Entrance Condutors Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
tom baker said:
How for can unfused service entrance conductors run inside a building?
I'll bite.

(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.
What are you getting at Tom?

cpal

I believe the the service eq must be at the first readily accesible location inside or out??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
tom baker said:
I am instructing a class and wanted to show how the forum works. In some locations the distance is limited.

And from what I learned here at the forum some areas will not let you enter the building unfused. I am not even sure what the rule is here. Rarely do I install without protection but when I do it is immediately inside-- usually less than 5 or 6 feet.

ceb58

Inspectors I deal with allow twice the length of the panel. ie Sq. D 42 circ. home line is about 42 1/4'' service wire 84 1/2'' inside building.

JohnJ0906

About 5' max, but you are expected to keep it as short as possible. In other words, if you have 5' and it would have been possible to have 3', you will fail.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is my opinion that "nearest" means exactly that....if you go through the wall, the service disconnect must be at the point where the conductors pass through the inside surface of the wall.

JohnJ0906

don_resqcapt19 said:
It is my opinion that "nearest" means exactly that....if you go through the wall, the service disconnect must be at the point where the conductors pass through the inside surface of the wall.

Do you mean that they should enter directly into the disconnect?

mistermudd

15 ft. of service raceway in WA ST WAC296-46B-230(12)(b)

(b) Inside location: When the service disconnecting means is installed inside the building or structure, it must be located so that the service raceway extends no more than fifteen feet inside the building/structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.