12-2 NM cable as switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterjohn

On a single 12-2 going from switch to light box I have always used the white wire as my hot wire. I use the black wire as my switchleg. Is this the proper way to do this? I was always under the impression it was code.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
georgestolz said:
...which is our way of saying yes. :D

Careful here George, without a code book how would the question asker know it is a yes?

I know I have pointed to code article sections that would provide a "no" answer.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hello Rick, I wasn't really refering to anything specific to this thread. I was making a comment to point out that simply because someone posts an article and section as an answer, that is not necessarily a yes (or no). The article and section(s) must be read in order to find the correct answer.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Rick, MA correctly saw this requirement as being a waste of ink in the NEC and waived it by way of an addendum.

There is no need to remark the white conductor in a cable wiring method, any electrician will know what the conductor is doing.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
roger said:
Rick, MA correctly saw this requirement as being a waste of ink in the NEC and waived it by way of an addendum.

There is no need to remark the white conductor in a cable wiring method, any electrician will know what the conductor is doing.

Roger

I like that idea of not re-identifying the white. Some Bozo who doesn't understand why the white conductor at the light is spliced to the black shouldn't be doing electrical work. Yes, I have little compassion for the DIYer's and handymen. :wink:

iwire

Staff member
roger said:

Roger

8)

Roger you must have sat in on one of the code classes I have taken presented by one of the MA electrical code members. :D

The instructor like Trevor and myself has little sympathy for those that get in over their head. :p

I have no problem whatsoever with homeowners working in their own house. But once they make the choice to do electric work they better know what they are doing, don't expect the NEC to 'dumb it down' so the work can be done by anyone with no training.

Jim W in Tampa

tkb said:
RUWired said:
And you must reidentify the white conductor as a black conductor.
Unless you are in MA.

Personally i think out of being an electrician that we must remark that white wire.Not seeing it marked indicates to me that they read only part of the book.Using the kind of logic that an electrician would know could be used on any wiring system.How about 2 whites and a blue to an AC from disconnect to unit in the flex ? Would that confuse a real electrician ?Just how hard is it to remark the white with a sharpy ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
tkb said:
RUWired said:
And you must reidentify the white conductor as a black conductor.
Unless you are in MA.

Using the kind of logic that an electrician would know could be used on any wiring system.How about 2 whites and a blue to an AC from disconnect to unit in the flex ? Would that confuse a real electrician ?

Jim, using white conductors for ungrounded conductors in FMC would be illegal, FMC is not a cable assembly.

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

I know that Roger.Was just using it an example to misuse of white.It's also a violation to use a white in a cable as a hot,that is unless your state removes it.Being in Florida we often get out of state electricians.Would it not be nice if we all folowed the same rules ? Is that not the reason behind using NEC ? And nothing says the wire must be remarked BLACK i prefer blue or red on low volt,yellow or orange on high

chicar

I think it comes down to looking out for your fellow electrician. To identify the wire for the purpose you are using it for is good workmanship. Phase Id is so important to me because if installed properly it can give you info just by the color of wire installed. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
chicar said:
I think it comes down to looking out for your fellow electrician. To identify the wire for the purpose you are using it for is good workmanship. Phase Id is so important to me because if installed properly it can give you info just by the color of wire installed. :D

I think that this requirement is for the guy who isn't an electrician. If he doesn't know that a switch box with only two wires has a white hot leg, than he has no business working on it. If I pull down a ceiling fixture and the box has 3 cables in it, I will know immediately that the white conductor spliced to the black conductors is a hot leg feeding the switch. IMO no reidentification should be required. A qualified person would see this the second they looked into the ceiling box.

Status
Not open for further replies.