Failed Home Inspection ! Code Ref or Made up by Home Inspector ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

Is there a code ref for this ? or is it just another home inspector making up things ?

IMG_2221 copy.jpg IMG_2221 copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cletis

This is a job we did 10yrs ago and they are selling just got this call. Have never been flagged on this. I'm sure it's not ideal but wires are bare in every panel in America. He told buyers it could cause a fire and/or an explosion ?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Every breaker has a 'strip gauge' for how far to cut back the insulation.

If you didn't follow the strip gauge, then you technically do have a violation.

With that said, this is not a serious problem. Even if the wire is stripped perfectly, the terminal is still exposed...and what you show in the photo looks perfectly fine to me.

-Jon

Cletis

he said they don't quote code ref's because they change county to county and year to year so....He said they go by NREC ???

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
he said they don't quote code ref's because they change county to county and year to year so....He said they go by NREC ???
Home inspectors don’t quote code references because they don’t know them. Most are wannabes that like to critique work they can’t do and don’t want to get a real job.
The really bad thing is the homeowners don’t know and take what these idiots say as gospel.

as you can tell I have no respect or regard for home inspectors..

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

mwm1752

don't pay for services not rendered. Inspectors are supposed to define the code violation in the report. surprised he didn't call out phasing colors LOL
sorry just had to.

Cletis

Home inspectors don’t quote code references because they don’t know them. Most are wannabes that like to critique work they can’t do and don’t want to get a real job.
The really bad thing is the homeowners don’t know and take what these idiots say as gospel.

you not as bitter as me about them lol

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
don't pay for services not rendered. Inspectors are supposed to define the code violation in the report. surprised he didn't call out phasing colors LOL
sorry just had to.
That’s the part many of them fail to realize..

State Building Code. – If a licensee includes a deficiency in the written report of a home inspection that is stated as a violation of the North Carolina State Residential Building Code, the licensee must do all of the following:
(1) Determine the date of construction, renovation, and any subsequent installation or replacement of any system or component of the home.
(2) Determine the State Building Code in effect at the time of construction, renovation, and any subsequent installation or replacement of any system or component of the home.
(3) Conduct the home inspection using the building codes in effect at the time of the construction, renovation, and any subsequent installation or replacement of any system or component of the home.
In order to fully inform the client, if the licensee describes a deficiency as a violation of the State Building Code in the written report, then the report shall include the information described in subdivision (1) of this subsection and photocopies of the relevant provisions of the State Building Code used pursuant to subdivision (2) of this subsection to determine any violation stated in the report. The Board may adopt rules that are more restrictive on the use of the State Building Code by home inspectors.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That’s the part many of them fail to realize..

State Building Code. – If a licensee includes a deficiency in the written report of a home inspection that is stated as a violation of the North Carolina State Residential Building Code, the licensee must do all of the following:
(1) Determine the date of construction, renovation, and any subsequent installation or replacement of any system or component of the home.
(2) Determine the State Building Code in effect at the time of construction, renovation, and any subsequent installation or replacement of any system or component of the home.
(3) Conduct the home inspection using the building codes in effect at the time of the construction, renovation, and any subsequent installation or replacement of any system or component of the home.
In order to fully inform the client, if the licensee describes a deficiency as a violation of the State Building Code in the written report, then the report shall include the information described in subdivision (1) of this subsection and photocopies of the relevant provisions of the State Building Code used pursuant to subdivision (2) of this subsection to determine any violation stated in the report. The Board may adopt rules that are more restrictive on the use of the State Building Code by home inspectors.
Interesting that N. Carolina appears to have a licensing code for "Home Inspectors". That's not the case everywhere. As much as people like to malign California for being over regulated, that's one area that is not (other than general business practices regulations). H.I.s here run the gamut from highly qualified individuals (usually ex-contractors) to total quacks. My daughter was buying a home last year and the SELLER's realtor had an HI come out and provide a report that said everything was hunky dory. I took a look at the things on his report and saw lots of flaws, so WE hired an HI I know who is a "retired" contractor, he found all the things I saw plus a few I missed.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician

I can't agree more. If it was NY he would have no business opening a panel cover. He would not be qualified to express an opinion of violation as he did, at most he can comment on what is in view (K&T, cloth NM, missing covers plates, ungrounded 2 prong receptacle, etc.) and use of a plug in receptacle gfci tester result. Can't comment on safety, violation, or reliability, only make note of condition and for electrician for further evaluation.
If anything he made a risk for sparking or arcing by entering the enclosure. At most it would present a risk to the next person to work within the panel and limited at that, if pulling in a new wire that made incidental contact with one of the wires. I'm sure he also gladly recommend someone for the job too.
An argument at most could be made related to 110.12, but based on limited picture that would be a stretch to suggest it a risk for arcing with cover closed, I've seen far worse.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I use to post on many HI sites. Lots of experts were on there trying to teach others. I left when the HIs would argue with correct answers to end.

Today I think its gotten better but I avoid those forums when I can.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I use to post on many HI sites. Lots of experts were on there trying to teach others. I left when the HIs would argue with correct answers to end.

Today I think its gotten better but I avoid those forums when I can.
I'm still active on one and deleted my entire digital life on another which was full of trolls. For the most part the HI's have always been thankful someone who is providing for the correct information.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I've had a bank hold a loan up due to a "hi" until I gave the seller a written statement with my info. and code number and page number. I also invited them to call me to look at the wire in question as the id was factory written on the outer jacket. Loan went through no phone call. Had to do with uf used outside.

kwired

Electron manager
sorry just had to.
To be fair this was a home inspector that was most likely looking at more than just electrical. His job is to point out things that may be a potential problem not so much his job to declare anything is a problem. His report can then be taken to the applicable professionals to investigate what should be done about those potential problems, some items may be dismissed as being normal/acceptable.

Someone should maybe inform him what limits he should put on such a situation before flagging it in the future. The insulation should be removed to a point past where contact is made in all cases or you can have bigger issues than if just a little too much was removed.

growler

This is a job we did 10yrs ago and they are selling just got this call. Have never been flagged on this. I'm sure it's not ideal but wires are bare in every panel in America. He told buyers it could cause a fire and/or an explosion ?

The only time I have ever been flagged for a little copper showing outside the breaker was on a government job. Some of their inspections can be pretty darned strict and they look for anything and everything (kind of like home inspectors ).

Technically it can be called a violation but to say that it can cause a fire or an explosion is a bit over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.