Failed Home Inspection ! Code Ref or Made up by Home Inspector ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The HI isn't reporting a 'nuisance trip'. It's reported as a non-functioning because there's no ground wire to carry the current from the plug-in tester used. I seriously doubt an HI was hired just to test the GFCIs.

My apologies, I should have been explicit instead of making a joke.

The GFCI works, but the hand held tester that the HI uses doesn't trip it.

If the HI reports that the GFCI doesn't work, that is a 'nuisance trip' of the inspector.

Jon

growler

If the HI correctly understands and reports that no equipment ground is present, and the buyer requests that this be corrected, does it help the seller any to report that such is a legal install?

-Jon

Would it make you feel a lot better to know the house you are considering buying was fully code compliant back in 1910 ?

kwired

Electron manager
If the HI reports the GFCI as non functional, and the electrician comes in and reports that it is functioning perfectly, does the seller get to backcharge the HI for the 'nuisance trip'?

If the HI correctly understands and reports that no equipment ground is present, and the buyer requests that this be corrected, does it help the seller any to report that such is a legal install?

-Jon
If that is only thing on his report that the electrician needed to address, I think is a valid question.

As far as potential value of the home because something is or is not to code that had been mentioned, this is sort of no different than taking your mechanic with you when considering purchasing a used car. If the mechanic says it needs items repaired - that is nothing more than some information to use to negotiate with the seller. They can fix it or sell as is. They also can drop asking price, or they can say take it at asking price or leave it.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
9 years ago had a HI write up that I'd installed 2 wires under the same QO breaker lug. Guess he had never seen a QO breaker before?

growler

9 years ago had a HI write up that I'd installed 2 wires under the same QO breaker lug. Guess he had never seen a QO breaker before?
HI's will always write that up 'cuz they don't know any better.

The reason that home inspectors write up double taps is because it's low hanging fruit. It's quick and easy to spot and has been part of their inspection criteria since the beginning of home inspections.

When an electrician comes in and finds that this is a type QO breaker he can write it up as being legally allowed.

Why wouldn't a home inspector leave it to a professional electrician to make this judgement call ?

Home inspectors are not electricians.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Why wouldn't a home inspector leave it to a professional electrician to make this judgement call ?

It's a disgrace that the seller has to incur all the expenses for professionals to look at whatever the HI thinks is a problem.

AFAIK any "problem" that's not found to be legitimate should have the cost of the professional called to look at it charged back to the HI!

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It's a disgrace that the seller has to incur all the expenses for professionals to look at whatever the HI thinks is a problem.

AFAIK any "problem" that's not found to be legitimate should have the cost of the professional called to look at it charged back to the HI!

-Hal
Maybe not the HI, but the buyer, as the HI is the buyer's agent.

480sparky

The reason that home inspectors write up double taps is because it's low hanging fruit. It's quick and easy to spot and has been part of their inspection criteria since the beginning of home inspections.

When an electrician comes in and finds that this is a type QO breaker he can write it up as being legally allowed.

Home inspectors are not electricians.

No, no, no, no no, no, no..... You're supposed to charge money to come out and pigtail it. Or at least, that's what I'm told.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Pigtail it or write up an explanation why it is ok.. Charge money either way.
I'm not going charge a dime for the two minutes it takes me to write up a report.
When I write a response to an HI report, it takes longer than two minutes.

I include code section quotes and pics equal to the offending document.

When done right, it saves the seller a lot more than I might charge.

kwired

Electron manager

That is what I figured most generally do, fix things that need fixing and write explanations on anything that was noted but is acceptable.

Out here in boonies often I am the one asked to do an inspection - I hate doing it. When I do write disclaimer that states I can't say concealed items are "safe" without disturbing walls/ceilings/etc to be able to visually inspect it. I am always concerned someone will take anything that wasn't mentioned that causes problems to be an opportunity to put a blame on me --- you said everything was ok, or at least everything but what was mentioned in your report.

480sparky

I copy and paste old responses. Easy peasy. No photos since I never visited the site.

retirede

How often do you have a HI report that has nothing concerning electrical except for doubled up wires on a breaker(s)?

When my daughter was buying a house a few years back, the HI report had a note to the effect that the GFCI in the garage should be removed in case she want to put a freezer out there

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
If/when I sell my house, I intend to ignore any HI reports. Buy it or don't.

Two two homes I have bought have been foreclosed houses. The first one the bank give me 7 pages from a HI, I pretty much put it in the trash in the bank office, I told them “ I’m a smart guy I know what to look for and if something is right or wrong. HI make their money off people who are clueless about houses and how there built. BTW sold that house in 5 years and maybe 1/2 page from HI

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The problem with the Home Inspector SCAM is their contract with their sucker (I mean client) is that they're not responsible for any of the drivel they promulgate or any of the glaring defects that they fail to notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.