Failed Home Inspection ! Code Ref or Made up by Home Inspector ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

To be fair this was a home inspector that was most likely looking at more than just electrical. His job is to point out things that may be a potential problem not so much his job to declare anything is a problem. His report can then be taken to the applicable professionals to investigate what should be done about those potential problems, some items may be dismissed as being normal/acceptable.

Someone should maybe inform him what limits he should put on such a situation before flagging it in the future. The insulation should be removed to a point past where contact is made in all cases or you can have bigger issues than if just a little too much was removed.
I was a bit harsh - & if that was the only weird issue it is a simple fix to sell a property.

kwired

Electron manager
I was a bit harsh - & if that was the only weird issue it is a simple fix to sell a property.
Well some of them need a little harshness anyway, but too many take their reports to mean you must fix these items or someone is certain to die. They are only there to point out potential problems not to enforce codes.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Plugin GFCI testers are limited as well. There's good reason the code requires accessible test buttons.

growler

Well some of them need a little harshness anyway, but too many take their reports to mean you must fix these items or someone is certain to die.

There are electricians out there that will try to sell upgrades by telling homeowners their 20-25 year old panels needs to be replaced or it will give problems or even be dangerous.

growler

I've almost gone to court with HIs over their use of plug-in testers that won't trip an ungrounded GFCI.

If they write it up correctly they will state that the GFCI is missing a ground and leave it at that.

Having circuits without grounding in a house can effect the value.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is probably a code violation because it violates the listing instructions of a listed product.

It is probably not a serious hazard, but where do we draw the line? If it had another inch of exposed wire?

480sparky

If they write it up correctly they will state that the GFCI is missing a ground and leave it at that.

But they never have. They always state, "GFCI's not functional and need replaced."

growler

But they never have. They always state, "GFCI's not functional and need replaced."

That's OK with me. I replace the GFCI receptacle and test it.
It get written on the invoice that the GFCI was replaced and tested good.

Their is no down side for me because a GFCI receptacle on an ungrounded circuit is code compliant. If the new owner ever gets upset that he has missing grounds they were not written up by the home inspector. I was working for the seller to repair items listed on the home inspection report and not to do an electrical inspection and evaluation.

480sparky

That's OK with me. I replace the GFCI receptacle and test it.
It get written on the invoice that the GFCI was replaced and tested good.

Their is no down side for me because a GFCI receptacle on an ungrounded circuit is code compliant. If the new owner ever gets upset that he has missing grounds they were not written up by the home inspector. I was working for the seller to repair items listed on the home inspection report and not to do an electrical inspection and evaluation.

But, the original GFCI is fully functional. Replacing functioning devices can be considered unethical.

growler

But, the original GFCI is fully functional. Replacing functioning devices can be considered unethical.

If you want to get all ethical and save the owner a few dollars then you can write it up as having been tested and it tested good. The only problem with that is they may question what was done at closing.

If I were to tell the owner that the GFCI was bad that would be unethical. The home inspection report request that the GFCI be replaced and I have complied with that request.

It's normally faster and cheaper than trying to argue the point.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Which should be obvious without the tester as it will be labeled "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND" if installed properly.
Probably not, but it might affect it.

480sparky

If you want to get all ethical and save the owner a few dollars then you can write it up as having been tested and it tested good. The only problem with that is they may question what was done at closing.

If I were to tell the owner that the GFCI was bad that would be unethical. The home inspection report request that the GFCI be replaced and I have complied with that request.

It's normally faster and cheaper than trying to argue the point.

I write up a report stating the GFCI function as designed and quote QCYU from the UL White Book as well as the device's instructions.

If there's any question, I'll be happy to stack up my decades of experience and training against the HI's certificate from the Class of Wednesday, 11:30 AM.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If the HI reports the GFCI as non functional, and the electrician comes in and reports that it is functioning perfectly, does the seller get to backcharge the HI for the 'nuisance trip'?

If the HI correctly understands and reports that no equipment ground is present, and the buyer requests that this be corrected, does it help the seller any to report that such is a legal install?

-Jon

480sparky

If the HI reports the GFCI as non functional, and the electrician comes in and reports that it is functioning perfectly, does the seller get to backcharge the HI for the 'nuisance trip'?

The HI isn't reporting a 'nuisance trip'. It's reported as a non-functioning because there's no ground wire to carry the current from the plug-in tester used. I seriously doubt an HI was hired just to test the GFCIs.

If the HI correctly understands and reports that no equipment ground is present, and the buyer requests that this be corrected, does it help the seller any to report that such is a legal install?

If no ECG was legal at time of install, there's no legal responsibility of the current owner to correct it. It becomes a negotiation issue at that point. Neither the potential buyer or the seller have any legal standing.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I'm still active on one and deleted my entire digital life on another which was full of trolls. For the most part the HI's have always been thankful someone who is providing for the correct information.

Like I said, its changed in the last few years, but prior to that good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.