Reverse fed 480/277-2300 delta secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

jminer99er

I need some help understanding a ground fault on this transformers secondary. I don't deal with 480/277-2300 transformers often.

I will attach the name plate info and a few pictures. This transformer is being reverse fed. It's stepping up 480/277 to 2300V in what I believe is an ungrounded delta secondary. I did confirm from the manufacturer that the delta isn't corner grounded internally. The mfg engineer couldn't answer my specific questions because he said he's not a power systems eng.

The 2300V secondary travels about 1500' on a steel bridge to a switch (I think) and steps down to 480/277V

The primary feed is 3 phase 4 wire 480/277. The neutral lands on the XO and has a bonding jumper strap to the enclosure, which is tied in to ground rods.

The secondary has 3 medium voltage cables going into conduit with a green #4 thhn conductor. (I think this is acting like the equipment ground?) but the #4 thhn is also bonded to the enclosure.

Does this transformer need ground fault monitoring on the secondary for unintentional ground?

If a phase unintentionally goes to steel, will the 2.3kV comes back via egc to the enclosure, which the 480/277 neutral is tied to, does it put 2300V on the gear, and is it rated for that voltage, or will the primary protection open?

Does the primary even need this neutral?

Thanks

20210729_091823.jpg 20210729_091800.jpg 20210729_092034.jpg

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I need some help understanding a ground fault on this transformers secondary. I don't deal with 480/277-2300 transformers often.

I will attach the name plate info and a few pictures. This transformer is being reverse fed. It's stepping up 480/277 to 2300V in what I believe is an ungrounded delta secondary. I did confirm from the manufacturer that the delta isn't corner grounded internally. The mfg engineer couldn't answer my specific questions because he said he's not a power systems eng.

The 2300V secondary travels about 1500' on a steel bridge to a switch (I think) and steps down to 480/277V

The primary feed is 3 phase 4 wire 480/277. The neutral lands on the XO and has a bonding jumper strap to the enclosure, which is tied in to ground rods.

The secondary has 3 medium voltage cables going into conduit with a green #4 thhn conductor. (I think this is acting like the equipment ground?) but the #4 thhn is also bonded to the enclosure.

Does this transformer need ground fault monitoring on the secondary for unintentional ground?

If a phase unintentionally goes to steel, will the 2.3kV comes back via egc to the enclosure, which the 480/277 neutral is tied to, does it put 2300V on the gear, and is it rated for that voltage, or will the primary protection open?

Thanks

View attachment 2557403 View attachment 2557404 View attachment 2557405
First, is this transformer specifically listed for back feeding?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Is the primary feed from a grounded 480 volt system? If yes, you do not want XO bonded on that transformer. On the load end, yes, you will need it bonded on the LV secondary.

DrSparks

Occupation
You can run ungrounded, but you'll need ground fault monitoring equipment definitely and there are a lot of NFPA 70e requirements too.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
X-0

No, that connection should be broken. X-0 should be left floating.

In other words, the primary should be wired as if it was a delta.

Technically speaking, the feeder need not have the neutral, just an EGC.

DrSparks

Occupation
You need the neutral on the 480 side or you wouldn't have a complete circuit.

No, the fault current on an ungrounded system would not return to the xfmr. That's the whole point of an ungrounded system--fault current mitigation.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You need the neutral on the 480 side or you wouldn't have a complete circuit.

No, the fault current on an ungrounded system would not return to the xfmr. That's the whole point of an ungrounded system--fault current mitigation.

Load yes, but input, no. You will need to bond the transformer case on the input side though, so a fault to the case will activate the ocp.

jminer99er

That's what I'm trying to figure out for the 2.3kV side

If this installation correct? It was put in 4 years ago, and recently dropped on my lap.

There is 70e stickers

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
Ungrounded systems generally need ground fault detectors.

A single ground fault on an ungrounded system just turns that system into an unintentional grounded system (kinda like a corner grounded system). Properly bonded equipment is “technically” equipotential so it doesn’t really impress dangerous voltage on the rest of the system unless there is current. What does happen though, is the line-to-ground potentials of the ungrounded system rise to line-to-line values.

What do you mean by primary neutral?

jminer99er

So what is the purpose of the green #4 thhn traveling with the medium voltage cable?

Am I understanding the above replys:

1- The XO neutral on the primary should be removed? (What can happen if it stays?)

2- The 2300V secondary is ungrounded and need ground fault detection?

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
So what is the purpose of the green #4 thhn traveling with the medium voltage cable?

Am I understanding the above replys:

1- The XO neutral on the primary should be removed? (What can happen if it stays?)

2- The 2300V secondary is ungrounded and need ground fault detection?

The EGC is for bonding. It’s required.

The neutral to the X0 helps with voltage regulation.

The ungrounded MV system needs ground fault detection.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
At which transformer?
The feed end, that's there now. From above:

20210729_091800-jpg.2557404

Status
Not open for further replies.