Reverse fed 480/277-2300 delta secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
My understanding of the 'don't connect the primary neutral' is that the neutral if a wye:delta transformer has very low impedance to zero sequence current. This is another way of saying that the transformer reliably derives a neutral from the three phase voltages.

Wye:delta transformers are used as grounding transformers to derive a neutral point to ground ungrounded delta systems.

When you use the wye side as the primary and connect the wye neutral to the system neutral, then this transformer's neutral will be placed in parallel with the source neutral. If the phase to neutral voltages do not match between the two transformers (system source and connected load transformers) then neutral current will flow to try to balance things.

Weather or not this is a problem depends upon the situation. Utilities often intentionally use wye primary transformers as part of 'effective grounding'; the re-derived neutral is of benefit to stabilizing phase-ground voltages.

If this load transformer is of similar rating to the system source, then any circulating currents might be unimportant.

But if you have a bad combination of source to transformer size, and phase imbalance, then the transformer might be overloaded simply trying to fight the supply system balance.

Jon

Im leaning on this primary neutral isolation thing for Y-Δ transformer being mostly a myth. Here is an interesting IEEE analysis showing its fine either way in case anyone can follow it.

I can tell you from experience that supplying a wye -delta with a neutral on XO is very bad. This happened at a job I was working on. Blew this nice hole in the 2" EMT feeder serving the transformer. Obviously there are situations where nothing will happen and it will work fine, depends on the amount of imbalance.

Attachments

• blowout.jpg
    blowout.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 20

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
I can tell you from experience that supplying a wye -delta with a neutral on XO is very bad. This happened at a job I was working on. Blew this nice hole in the 2" EMT feeder serving the transformer. Obviously there are situations where nothing will happen and it will work fine, depends on the amount of imbalance.

Nice picture. Are you sure it’s because the neutral imbalance or could this be due to ferro-resonance?

Nice picture. Are you sure it’s because the neutral imbalance or could this be due to ferro-resonance?
I am pretty sure it was the source neutral connection to XO. Here is a thread on it from 6 years ago if you are interested. Its a bit into the weeds at first but seems to narrow in on it toward the end.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
My understanding with ferro-resonance is typically the cancelation of reactances would blow fuses when re-energizing the xfrms?

It could be triggered by phase loss, blowing of fuses, and opening or closing switches. All systems are susceptible to ferro-resonance, but some transformer connections are more prone to it.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
I am pretty sure it was the source neutral connection to XO. Here is a thread on it from 6 years ago if you are interested. Its a bit into the weeds at first but seems to narrow in on it toward the end.

Based on that thread, it sounds like you had a phase loss at the utility which consequently caused an overload condition. I don’t think it was due to a primary neutral connection, although I could see that contributing to the meltdown. Think of it this way, it was probably in service with a primary neutral on X0 for a long time with no issues.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Says who?
I have always said the primary wye connection should be left floating on a reverse fed transformer unless it is part of a utility grid. This comes from the predominant use of dry type transformers with a single three legged core, to supply 480V delta.

You are correct there is no absolute prohibition against connecting a primary neutral. However, there are many considerations therefore these should be left to installations that have been throughout engineered.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
I have always said the primary wye connection should be left floating on a reverse fed transformer unless it is part of a utility grid. This comes from the predominant use of dry type transformers with a single three legged core, to supply 480V delta.

You are correct there is no absolute prohibition against connecting a primary neutral. However, there are many considerations therefore these should be left to installations that have been throughout engineered.

As a general rule I agree no one should be installing or connecting a wire on something they don’t understand (which includes using non-standard transformer connections and providing advice to remove the primary neutral), but this rationale is to discourage unqualified persons from working outside of their competency rather than providing a technical reason against utilizing a primary neutral.

Some members seem to be afraid of using the neutral based on a misunderstanding of past experience. It sounds like most cases are a result of primary phase loss and undersized wires. For example:

One advantage of a primary neutral on a wye-primary delta-secondary configuration is you still get balanced secondary voltage when you experience a phase loss upstream. This behaves similar to an open-delta bank and increases current draw on the remaining phases by a factor of sqrt(3). Unless you account for this increased current by adequate transformer capacity and larger primary feeder size, there will be overloading and eventual damage (to the wiring and transformer).

Removing the primary neutral obviously eliminates this possibility and could be one reason everyone thinks it should be removed without not really knowing why…

Just trying to challenge the “I’ve always done it that way” mentality since a few threads on this subject have came up with no apparent resolution.

Last edited:

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Removing the primary neutral obviously eliminates this possibility and could be one reason everyone thinks it should be removed without not really knowing why…

Just trying to challenge the “I’ve always done it that way” mentality since a few threads on this subject have came up with no apparent resolution.

As part of the 'don't connect the primary neutral' crowd, I'd appreciate a more extensive education on the situations where one would connect the primary neutral.

On the other hand, if we go back to the original post, it sure appears that the neutral _and_ the EGC are landed on the primary neutral terminal, which strongly suggests to me that this was not an intentional connecting of a primary neutral, but rather a mistaken connection by someone who 'always does it that way' on the secondary of a transformer. Additionally there are questions about the proper grounding of the high voltage side that I don't think have been clearly addressed. So perhaps a discussion of the why or why not to connect the neutral of a primary wye belongs in a different thread :)

-Jon

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am inclined to agree that probably someone hooked it up the "same" way they would hook up a step down transformer.

It also looks to me like they landed the bonding wires from the conduits on XO. That would mean there is a connection of the EGC to neutral that should not be there.

Whether the neutral should be run to X0 is another question. I think on the whole leaving it floating is best because there is no downside, at least that I can see, and there are potential downsides to connecting the neutral to the X0.

jminer99er

I am inclined to agree that probably someone hooked it up the "same" way they would hook up a step down transformer.

It also looks to me like they landed the bonding wires from the conduits on XO. That would mean there is a connection of the EGC to neutral that should not be there.

Whether the neutral should be run to X0 is another question. I think on the whole leaving it floating is best because there is no downside, at least that I can see, and there are potential downsides to connecting the neutral to the X0.
I think you're correct. 20210729_091810.jpg

synchro

Occupation
EE
This type of lug intentionally deflects a portion of the strands outward to its open slots on the sides in order to withstand higher pull-out forces during a fault.
I agree that the discoloration, also evident at X3, should be investigated further.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Putting aside the bonding on the primary (480V) side and answering the question you CAME HERE to ask; there is no requirement for Medium Voltage (1kV and up) to have a Delta system grounded or to have GF monitoring. That NEC requirement (250.21.B) ONLY pertains to systems below 1000V. That's not to say it isn't a good idea, that's just answering your question as to satisfying NEC requirements.

Most of the Delta MV systems I have worked on are not corner grounded but do have protective relaying that would detect a GF and therefore would meet the same intent as 250.21.B. However in your specific application, i.e. stepping up and back down just for long distances, it is in fact quite common to not have that and do not violate anything the NEC. The first time I came across it (this is done a lot with MV rated down-hole pumps) I had the same concern, so I added a $3k protection relay that nobody wanted to pay for and had the answer beaten into me by my boss after he had to eat the relay cost...

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Putting aside the bonding on the primary (480V) side and answering the question you CAME HERE to ask; there is no requirement for Medium Voltage (1kV and up) to have a Delta system grounded or to have GF monitoring. That NEC requirement (250.21.B) ONLY pertains to systems below 1000V. That's not to say it isn't a good idea, that's just answering your question as to satisfying NEC requirements.

Most of the Delta MV systems I have worked on are not corner grounded but do have protective relaying that would detect a GF and therefore would meet the same intent as 250.21.B. However in your specific application, i.e. stepping up and back down just for long distances, it is in fact quite common to not have that.
That's what I said! It really depends on available fault current. If arc flash is a huge concern, I'd go ungrounded.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.