3-way Delima

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

I have run into another that I could use some help on.

I am rewiring a rehab for a customer. They wanted the receps. in the living room all split. Hot on the bottom and 3-way switched on top. I have done this several times but never with a three-way involved but didn't see it as a problem. I roughed with line on one 3-way and the recep. load on the other 3-way switch. When I roughed the receps. in I used 12/2/2 wire since I had some on the truck and having not done this before thought the extra neutral might come in handy. When I went to finish today I elected to just pig-tail the 4 neutrals in each recep. since I didn't think it really would matter as to the operation of the 3-way. I broke the brass clip on the line side, black on bottom, red on top.

The result was I had 120 V on the bottom nada on the top. All my connections appear solid and I have 120 V at the line side of the 3-way. It was getting late but I did take some meter readings at the load side that would make me think I have an open neutral.

What gives? Do I need to separate and break the neutral clip at the recepts? I thought this would be easy but its got me scratching my bald head. Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

p.s. I hope my explanation makes sense.

stickboy1375

If you are not sure if your wiring is correct, draw it on paper and make sure it works, not sure if I read your post correctly but sounds like you fed 1 of the 3 ways and then ran a 12-3 to to the next 3 way then hit the receptacles with a 12-2-2?

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
ElectricianJeff said:
I roughed with line on one 3-way and the recep. load on the other 3-way switch.

do you have a feed at the "load end" to supply power to the always hot of the recp?

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
What is 12/2/2???

same a 14-2-2 , it contains two whites and a blk and red, perfect for AFI and GFI homeruns...

romexextra2.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jeff

Try explaining the rest of the connection. I am assuming there is a feed in one 3 way and a 3 wire cable to the other 3 way.

One 3 way has a 12/2 to the first rec. and the other 3 way has a 12/2 to the last recep.? Is this correct or is the feed in the recep?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
I use it alot, some wire manufacturers call it 14-4 but with a added " 2 circuit" logo on the box...

I have heard of 14/4 but never saw it. I assumed it had a blue wire.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
I have heard of 14/4 but never saw it. I assumed it had a blue wire.

You are correct, a 14-4 will contain a BLK, RED, BLUE, & WHITE, I'm surprised you never needed a 14-4 for adding a four way switch, it makes life simple sometimes...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
You are correct, a 14-4 will contain a BLK, RED, BLUE, & WHITE, I'm surprised you never needed a 14-4 for adding a four way switch, it makes life simple sometimes...

I just carry a 3 wire in and out of the 4 way. Usually I feed one 3 way and switch leg out the other carrying the neutral through.

stickboy1375

I used 14-4 the other day, I had wall sconces on each gable end controlled with a set of of 3 ways on each gable end, it saved me only running 1 wire between the 3 way switches...the job was old work and I was already tired of cutting out sheetrock behind the baseboard...:mad:

cadpoint

If you can't draw it like "Stick" said, you ain't going to wire it correctly.:rolleyes:

The switchs are only before or after the Devices ... U didn't make the cut ...

Last edited:

stickboy1375

cadpoint said:
If you can't draw it like "Stick" said, you ain't going to wire it correctly.:rolleyes:

The switchs are only before or after the Devices ... U didn't make the cut ...

So you would rather pull a 14-3 and a 14-2 when you only need a 14-4?

quogueelectric

12-2-2

12-2-2

Dennis Alwon said:
What is 12/2/2???
Dennis 12/2/2/ is a 5 conductor 12 wire with 2 sets of 12/2 and a ground wire in the same cable it is very expensive. I usually pick it up when it goes on sale and they are looking to move stock. I sometimes use it for ac runs where a service receptacle is required and the Ac load is under 16 amps fla so I dont have to run annother ckt I am charging for one anyway. It would be good for arc fault breaker runs to bedrooms with adjascent walls or wherever you need 2 circuits with separate neutrals or 2 2pole circuits.like 2 small appliance ckts in a kitchen where you used gfci breakers and yes the second set of wires are marked for positive identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.