Abandoned range circuit can i use it for the dryer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

LarryFine said:
Suppose we use my other example:

Let's say you have a 20a receptacle and breaker for a window AC unit, and replace the AC with a 15a unit. You'll replace the breaker and the receptacle, re-using the #12 wire.

New or existing? (I know the EGC/neutral debate doesn't apply here.)

nothing wrong in this example because the wire meets code.
If the OP has 4 wire his is fine too.
If only 3 wire the issue is the requirement for new dryer to have 4 wires.

I have had the same axx for 50 yeras,on its 7 th handle and 2 nd head.

Its my opinion that this is a new circuit.My opinion really does not matter unless i am the inspector.
I know it will work but at question is if its a new circuit or not.
On there own the breaker,wire,or receptacle are nothing more than material.
Without all of them you have no circuit.Now with a new breaker and new receptacle and used wire i have created a new circuit that will not meet code.Sorry but thats how i read it.Others have opinions too.Life would be easy if we could just pick the one we like.

frizbeedog

Definition of existing.

Definition of existing.

I don't have one, but after reading this, I think we need one.

Who's willing to take a crack at it?

renosteinke

Ha! I just came from a 30 year old condo that posed a similar challenge.

In my case, they wanted a 4-prong range receptacle installed.

I was filled with dread ... the place was wired in romex, and the necessary parts of the attic were inaccessible. Thus, replacing the cable was pretty much impossible.

Full of pessimism, I removed the existing three-prong receptacle, and what did I find? They had run four wire cable, and cut the ground short! I was able to 'do it right' after all.

Let's face it ... sometimes the best you can hope is to make lemonade from the lemons you've been given.

Jim W in Tampa

Before copper went up i would run 10-3 wg for gas dryers.Cap off the red on both ends and use 20 amp breaker and 120 receptacle.Made life easy if they changed mind.Not something you could afford to do today.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
iwire said:
LarryFine said:
And I'd still go over his head if I didn't agree with his opinion, and see what his boss's opinion is.
Larry I said the AHJ, who are you going to talk to, his wife?;)

I'm starting to feel gullible. Goaded by Larry, the master of all loose cannons.

steelersman

480sparky said:
So if the wire is only 10', then it's, what, 50% of the circuit? Is 5' only 25%? Suppose the box is attached right to the panel? Is it now 1%? 5%?

Show me how you calculate what percentage of the circuit the wire is based on the length.
Ok ok ok 480 it's just my opinion but I'm allowed to have that aren't I? You have yours and I have mine and we all have them right? So maybe the percentage should be considered more like 33.33333333% for each: OCPD, circuit conductors, and device/receptacle. Fair enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.