AFCI with panel change

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

What about the things you can't see ? like a neutral grabbed off of a different circuit.
One of the pitfalls of doing remodel work but I don't think that the inspector is going to open boxes to check for this.

If I am doing a service change, and let me say there must be a very good reason or I don't change it, and there will be a requirement to Arc Fault Protect circuits it would only be smart on my part to check for such items. Yes I would eat the additional cost of this should the inspector require AFCI on the circuits. It would have been my oversight and something I should have looked into before giving my bid.
And yes if after entering the agreement the AFCI device didn?t hold then I will eat any and all cost of ensuring that the adopted codes are fully fulfilled.

It would be no different than doing a kitchen remodel and the original electrical contractor pulling a 12/3 putting every other receptacle on alternating circuits.
Should the bid be increased include GFCI devices at each outlet? I say no that this was a mistake of the contractor and not an unforeseen circumstance and should not be charged to the homeowner after signing a contract to complete the kitchen remodel. The electrical contractor should have looked before biding.

Now understand that this is just the rules that I play the remodel game by and no way means that anyone else has to play by them. This is how I would want to be treated therefore the way I will treat my customers. My heart just won?t allow me to charge the homeowner for my mistake. How you play this game is completely up to you and I have no objections.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

One of the pitfalls of doing remodel work but I don't think that the inspector is going to open boxes to check for this.

If I am doing a service change, and let me say there must be a very good reason or I don't change it, and there will be a requirement to Arc Fault Protect circuits it would only be smart on my part to check for such items. Yes I would eat the additional cost of this should the inspector require AFCI on the circuits. It would have been my oversight and something I should have looked into before giving my bid.
And yes if after entering the agreement the AFCI device didn?t hold then I will eat any and all cost of ensuring that the adopted codes are fully fulfilled.

It would be no different than doing a kitchen remodel and the original electrical contractor pulling a 12/3 putting every other receptacle on alternating circuits.
Should the bid be increased include GFCI devices at each outlet? I say no that this was a mistake of the contractor and not an unforeseen circumstance and should not be charged to the homeowner after signing a contract to complete the kitchen remodel. The electrical contractor should have looked before biding.

Now understand that this is just the rules that I play the remodel game by and no way means that anyone else has to play by them. This is how I would want to be treated therefore the way I will treat my customers. My heart just won?t allow me to charge the homeowner for my mistake. How you play this game is completely up to you and I have no objections.

You must not give many bids or your charging for them. There is no reason you should go in FOR A BID and trouble shoot the entire buildings electrical system for FREE. If you do bid and trouble shoot them for free, I am working on an old house right now I would love for you to come over and give me a "bid" on repairing the old K&T, it will save me a days labor once you find all the problems for FREE, and you don't get the job, I will be sure to bill the home owner for the service. You are such a nice guy. Thanks :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.