Amish wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
This summer I worked on a cabin built by an Amish crew. None of them had drivers licenses but they had power tools aplenty along with nail guns and gas chain saws.

Kind of scary watching them use them with their long beards. Kept thinking somebody's face was going to get sucked into the table saw.
There is a family in this area that does operate a construction business. Same thing, they have power saws, air compressors, nail guns...

They don't have drivers licenses or cars, trucks, they expect their customer to make arrangements to transport them and their equipment to the job. From what I have been told they are not "cheap" another construction guy once told me on a estimate to replace a roof they were in the same price range as he was, but they still expected the customer to transport them to work as well as their equipment. The few projects I have been involved with where they did work I was not impressed with the craftsmanship of their work, which was a little surprising to me. There was not much attention to details on finish work and it looked pretty "cobbled".

mwm1752

Dave,
Colorado State Statutes require permits for structures that are served by a utility, pv, and other power sources. Permit would require NEC inspections, building codes have minimum illumination requirements. IMO the codes also protect comsumers as when, where, why, to whom a builder/owner resales is not a predicted circumstance; If a juristdiction does not have a building dept build structurally how you want ( just the way it is). Colorado does have a statewide requirement for NEC compliance whether the state inspects or an approved jurisdition does. I agree the required outlets may never be used by this particular owner but that is the owner choice and his choice should not effect the next owner.

kwired

Electron manager
Colorado does have a statewide requirement for NEC compliance whether the state inspects or an approved jurisdition does. I agree the required outlets may never be used by this particular owner but that is the owner choice and his choice should not effect the next owner.
And that brings up other questions. Does state laws tell you that wiring must be installed? Or does NEC only apply if there happens to be any wiring installed?

I don't believe NEC tells us we must install wiring in any particular building, just tells us how it will be done if there is wiring there.

It is similar here, current adopted NEC applies to all wiring, even if it was not required to be permitted, but how can it apply to wiring that is not there, unless there is a law that says it must be there? If I wanted to build a building and go on 1800's designs and construction methods - I would't install any wiring, but I may never get proper authority to build such a structure either.

What if I decided to not have any plumbing in my new home?

mwm1752

And that brings up other questions. Does state laws tell you that wiring must be installed? Or does NEC only apply if there happens to be any wiring installed? If there was no state law to govern the adoption of code then no code would be applicable -- Federal to State,or State to Local = police powers by definition in Building Dept Administration Edition 3. Enities may be able to ammend to more stringint but I do not believe lessen the requirements

I don't believe NEC tells us we must install wiring in any particular building, just tells us how it will be done if there is wiring there.
210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets
This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
NEC states to provide--

What if I decided to not have any plumbing in my new home?

2009 IPC SECTION 403
MINIMUM PLUMBING FACILITIES
403.1 Minimum number of fixtures. Plumbing fixtures shall be provided for the type of occupancy and in the minimum number shown in Table 403.1. Types of occupancies not shown in Table 403.1 shall be considered individually by the code official. The number of occupants shall be determined by the International BUilding Code. Occupancy classification shall be determined in accordance with the International Building Code.

Single family is included in the occpancies & there is a Colorado State Plumbing Board similar to the Electrical board

alrighty now

mwm1752

All the NEC would have to say about that is that you do not have to bond the nonexistent plumbing to your GES. :angel:

Tapatalk!

(1) General. nonexistentMetal water piping system(s) installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure,

Is this the code change you were referring to?:jawdrop:

growler

If I wanted to build a building and go on 1800's designs and construction methods - I would't install any wiring, but I may never get proper authority to build such a structure either.

Getting the permit to build may not be your problem. If I have enough space on a property and zoning does come into play I could build an 1800s style cabin on the property. Even in the city I see no problem there. I could call it a storage shed and build any style I choose.

The problem starts when you try to call it habitable and want to live in it. Most areas would not issue you a certificate of occupancy. If they catch anyone trying to live there they get evicted.

To have a habitable property you need electrical, plumbing and some source of heat.

kwired

Electron manager
To have a habitable property you need electrical, plumbing and some source of heat.

I know, isn't is a miracle our predecessors survived before those items were around?

I understand people want a certain standard of living to be met, and it is a little hard to draw some lines fairly. I also don't think it is all that correct to make someone meet some standards that are forced upon them, but I put up with it anyway. Some people need to go to some third world countries and see just how good even the "low lifers" have it here, and then maybe quit worrying as much about who does what next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.