Anybody else going out broke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I've been slow, but I do zero advertising and I've been working a temporary job doing something different. I just got a $1.50 an hour raise on Monday. Hopefully I can keep this job long enough to get to the meat of summer without missing the meat of summer doing this job.

$20 an hour ain't great, but being as I hardly do any actual work I'm not complaining.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Work seems to be picking up a little here. The company I work for has been running 40 hour work weeks for about 6 months now sometimes a little more then 40. Good luck Bull I hope work picks up for you!

Well he's got that all wrong!

It was Reagan's fault, he's the one that started all of that deficit spending to kick-start the economy. It worked. Now all the other President's want to do the same thing. Carter tried to be responsible and start an energy plan that took us away from oil, but............ the cost was too much for us to take .......... and is it still?

Wow--I thought the alleged political statements got deleted here on this forum---or wait, maybe it's only certain statements.---Sure, that's right--Obama and Carter were wonderful leaders and role models for our youth--get real

iwire

Staff member
If this keeps getting political it will be closed so please use PMs if you feel you just have to respond to the political comments in this thread.

SPARKS40

I am surprised to see this thread. We are absolutely slammed with work right now and have been for several months with no end in sight. We pay between 45K-65K for good electricians and can't seem to find good people (seem to hear this alot from other contractors).

45-65K??? That's it?? Maybe that's why you can't find good people. I'd give you a price break and hire on for 100K a year..........That is, if you can provide year round work.....of course, for 65K a year i could still eat steak, just a cheaper cut......:D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Wow--I thought the alleged political statements got deleted here on this forum---or wait, maybe it's only certain statements.---Sure, that's right--Obama and Carter were wonderful leaders and role models for our youth--get real

I can see how people of a certain political flavor might not appreciate the hypocrisy being shown.

In the end, it does not matter much who is to blame. A pox on all their houses. Anything government tries to run will turn to #### anyway. Does not matter much which political party is in charge of the government at the time. It seems likely to me that the current crop of political thieves has no more clue than previous crops, and whatever "solution" they come up with will work no better.

Figure out how to survive whatever it is that is coming. Get your financial houses in order. Learn to get whatever incremental business you can. Learn to deal with whatever new things are coming. Make a few bucks where you can and hunker down as long as it takes.

Things have always eventually gotten better, no matter how hard government tries to screw up the economy.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
45-65K??? That's it?? Maybe that's why you can't find good people. I'd give you a price break and hire on for 100K a year..........That is, if you can provide year round work.....of course, for 65K a year i could still eat steak, just a cheaper cut......:D

65K works out to about 32.50/hr. I don't know about you but that's good money over here, especially for a job that doesn't require a college education, just an apprenticeship.:cool:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

you are obviously in a non-typical segment of the industry.

a six figure salary is extremely rare for the average electrician.

you can't be competitive in the everyday market paying that high of a wage.

$45k-$65k are good wages for a field electrician.

jes25

FWIW I have been to Dubai about a dozen times while working as a contractor elsewhere in the middle east. My observations, including conversations and the like, lead me to believe a good salary as an electrician in dubai is unlikely. The workers there are from south asia and make around 300USD per month. If there is decent salaried job it would probably be like a PM or something. Also they install things different, ie european, and I believe a lot of construction has stopped there with the crash of the financial markets just like here.

There is money to be made overseas though.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I can see how people of a certain political flavor might not appreciate the hypocrisy being shown.
I would have loved to go through and delete them all (regardless of affiliation), but I'm too busy. I imagine most of the other mods were too. I haven't seen one reported post in my inbox, so it very well could be that Bob and I are the only ones who noticed. I'd appreciate it if you'd cut us some slack, some of us do have other tasks that infringe on forum time from time to time. :roll:

macmikeman

Just for the fun of it all, try checking Craigslist for " Software, Database, QA" jobs for a couple of weeks. What you will find is dozens of listings recruiting highly skilled programming experts with multiple computer language skills and maybe ten years or so of documented managerial at it, along with Master's degree's in computer science. Offered pay scales mostly around $60,000/yr. Count your blessings. We are in pretty good shape in our chosen field. I do have the skills to pre-twist my wires prior to wirenuts, and I have three licenses to prove it..... :D I'm well paid.

highendtron

I advertise in three phone books in five local/surrounding areas. I send out postcards once a year, and sometimes take out local newspaper adds. I have had to drop phone book adds that customers don't use. I have a small shop but am having a great year. I am not sure I want the problem of trying out more help or expanding. I keep low inventory and pay my creditors every thirty days. I wish I could say that I'm successful, but I am working too hard to notice!

iwire

Staff member
I would have loved to go through and delete them all (regardless of affiliation), but I'm too busy.

Exactly.

I looked back over the thread and it quickly becomes quite a chore to separate the political from the on topic which is all a judgment call anyway.

So my choices were, I could move the thread out of sight, I could delete a lot of posts, I could close it, but instead I figured I would just ask the members to try to stay on topic and let what was already posted stand.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Keeping us on topic is a lot like trying to control a tire rolling down hill with a stick.

Now that I think about it, raising kids is a lot like that, too.

Thanks, Dad, I mean, Bob. ;)

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Join the club. I've been going 2 years and maybe had 2 or 3 good months in that time. I paid myself $100 after truck and phone expenses in 2009. About $40 or 50 in 2008. I have just barely broken even. We have exhausted our savings and stretched my wife's salary to the breaking point.

My area has usually been a bit better off during recessions, but this one has hit hard. I'm competing against other hungry electricians and also against leafrakers, handymen and illegals who will do a cheap job for half my best offer of a decent job.

bullheimer

i have not generally liked moderators on this site and that is a reason i have stayed away for most of the time i have been a member. but in this case i have to say
EXCELLENT MODERATING!!!!
besides, where else can a po 'letrician go to talk to other 'lectrodes?

$32.50 was IBEW wages about four years ago when last i worked for them jerks. now it's up a couple more bucks.

in other words, HELL YEAH, I WOULD WORK FOR THAT!!! anything more than that for your rank and file j-men and i think you would be working in new york city or NUTS. i am next to the seattle local, the local there is about one dollar an hour more, and i thought it was one of the highest rates in the country, i am probably wrong, tho.

looking at posts of people doing well seemed at first the south @ atlanta was a great place to be. i cant wonder what this oil spill will do to work, when all the rough necks are looking for work. but alot of guys in the same area seem to be as bad off as me.

mass and conn seem to be busy too. but i am here. i am not about to go looking in dubai as i heard their market has totally and completely crashed. isnt that the place that built all those islands out into the sea, there is nothing selling there and buildings have been stopped in their tracks if that is the place i saw on tv about a year ago.

i got two jobs since this post, small crap that will pay my phone bill, and a panel change down payment. still waiting to start a house i was spozed to start may 1st, too. (just gimmie a down, dammit!!) i need money for everything, when i do start that damned job i will have to pay not one, but TWO mortgage payments with it. i have told all credit card companies they are LAST on my list, right after beer money. what do i care if i owe them x amount of $$ or x plus their late charges when i go bankrupt anyway? all my cards are personal, so i can go bk and still stay in biz.

well good luck to all y'all in the same boat as me. you have my sympathys. i owe, i owe so off to work i go. this is definitely gonna get worse before it gets better imho!!! i would ask my old boss in jersey for work but wifie has too many kids around here to leave. crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.