Appropriate Forum Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Quite frankly I'm taken aback by the fact that you even felt the need to start this thread. I have never found any language used in this forum that would (or should) shock the sensibilities of anybody that would come here. This, especially since many of these "words" have been so ingrained in our society today that their use has become commonplace and they have lost the shock value that was once their purpose. Heard any teenagers talk lately? Heard any rap music?

I will agree that type of language certainly does not belong in any kind of professional, business or formal writing any more than bad spelling and grammar does but that?s not what we have here. Thing is this is a very informal forum where members can express what?s on their minds. Given the proper context and in moderation I see no problem with alluding to a ?cuss word? or even out and out using them to get a point across. We are all supposed to be adults.

The thing that bothers me the most from reading this thread so far is where this is coming from. It?s quite obvious this ?heavy handedness? (I?ll stop short of calling it censorship) seems to be based on some people?s religious beliefs. I agree with 77401 when he says ?I won?t judge you if you choose not to walk my path?. Don?t impose your religious beliefs on others.

I do understand that this is Mike Holt?s forum and his religious beliefs may differ from mine or others. It is also a public forum and as such we have to be tolerant of other views. I have known may ?religious? people who have let their religious convictions replace common sense to their detriment, though they will never understand why or admit it if they do.

-Hal

iwire

Staff member
Hal I started this thread and I can tell you it had absolutely nothing to do with religion. Trust me on that, PM me if you want more info.

We are all entitled to our opinions.

Many of us have opinions that certain NEC sections are pointless.

Some people are of the opinion they should skirt the law and drive their commercial vehicles on the parkways. :wink:

The fact is in all the above cases we have to put aside our opinions and obey the rules.

Now, everyone of us here agreed to certain rules when we joined the forum why should we not be expected to follow those rules we agreed to?

I think many here are making to much of a simple request.

No one is being told to change their life around.

I am only asking that when posting here, as a guest of this forum that we use a bit of restraint.

I have never found any language used in this forum that would (or should) shock the sensibilities of anybody that would come here

That is because the moderators edit, relocate or delete posts that violate the rules.

Bob

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Bob, in that it is not about anyone's religious beliefs. It is about being polite and maintaining a professional tone, in anything that anyone posts to this Forum.

allenwayne

It is a matter of courtesy,when in a restaurant we use forks.At home we can eat with our hands.When in a church we don`t swear,at home we can.Respect is the key.Even though I got a heck of a laugh from some posts I did say to myself ,well that`s not right :wink: Let`s be respectfull of the person that gives us this site to visit and the children of those that might have children watching the posts as they surf the net.I have 2 adolescent daughters that are quite interested in this site since I visit it frequentally.They really don`t need to read sexual inuendoes ,even done in jest :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ramsy, if it is such a problem for you here, why not start your own forum or find one where you can do and say as you please, surely there must be one out there that you would like.

In short, if you feel oppressed or censured, leave.

When I didn't like being some where that's what I do. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Allen, don't get your hopes up that this will happen again, but I agree with you and think you put it well. :wink:

Roger

peter d

A few issues here:

We are guest of Mike Holts and if you don't like it, then please LEAVE and start your own forum and you can have all the swearing you want.

As far as religious beliefs go, we do live in the United States of America, do we not? Mike is free to practice his faith and run this forum as he desires. If his beliefs influence his decision not to allow swearing and other innapporpriate language, so be it.

This is a great forum and if the naysayers don't like it, they are FREE to go elsewhere and do as they wish.

:)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
electricmanscott said:
Am I in the bizarro forum? :shock:
ditto. bigtime.

i've seen some weird diatribes, but that one takes it.

if you've got a problem with lds, then this isn't the place. if ryan's got a ticket to kolob, then he must have it in his backpocket, because i've never seen it. no one has ever pushed religion here, even when relevant to a talk.

all creeds are here, buddy, sorry to break your heart.

i am not lds, but so employed, and firsthand, there's no reason to discriminate in this forum.

don't drink + type,

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Can anyone from Salt Lake elaborate on the sponsorship thingy. Does it really make visitors behave better? Whats the story with this?

iwire

Staff member
ramsy said:
Can anyone from Salt Lake elaborate on the sponsorship thingy. Does it really make visitors behave better? Whats the story with this?

This is not a Forum for that subject matter.

I am sure you can find a forum on the Internet that can answer any questions you have about that subject.

dlhoule

IMO the moderators of this forum do a great job. I've only seen one post removed that I kind of thought should stay. That is a remarkable record as far as I am concerned.

Keep up the great job moderators.

hockeyoligist2

allenwayne said:
It is a matter of courtesy,when in a restaurant we use forks.At home we can eat with our hands.When in a church we don`t swear,at home we can.Respect is the key.Even though I got a heck of a laugh from some posts I did say to myself ,well that`s not right :wink: Let`s be respectfull of the person that gives us this site to visit and the children of those that might have children watching the posts as they surf the net.I have 2 adolescent daughters that are quite interested in this site since I visit it frequentally.They really don`t need to read sexual inuendoes ,even done in jest :D

Ditto! I'm not a very religiose person............ but I respect my elders, women and children and never say bad things in public unless I accidently grab a hot wire then I can't help it!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I once bowled in a league where they started a $5 fine for cussing. I just walked up the the league secretary and handed him a $100 bill and said, let me know when I've used this up. One ball cost me $25. :roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have no problem with the request of keeping it civil, and I don't see the request as being religiously oppressive.

Besides, what does religion have to do with morals and ethics? I'm not religious, but I do believe in the Golden Rule.*

* The original one.

jes25

ramsy said:
77401 said:
I will respect The moderators desire to police a Disney forum bordering on censorship. It is your ball (game), and I still want to play. 8)
This forum will remain a shadow of it's former self, without the No BS avatar. I will miss it sorely.

But the Disneyland mentality has nothing on Salt Lake city establishments, which booted me for not having a sponsor. Visitors must be formally sponsored, or perhaps married into the community, before participating in it after dark. And, we do have a few moderators here from Salt Lake city.

Next time I see the daughters of Salt Lake flying off like a bottled-up cork, maybe pause is in order to screen for a last name, and a papa that matches either Combination inspector, instructor, or Mike Holt moderator.

Perhaps more expressive liberties would be earned, after the moderator's family feeds my pot belly, short, and inferior breeding, then raised another set of grandchildren.

HUH.........This post has me TOTALLY baffled! I think we are in the Bizzaro forum.

PS George whats: lds

Status
Not open for further replies.