Attic Wiring Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code wise, do you see any issues with this wiring?
IMG_6858.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yea many..
Is that a swiches in the floor I see.......
Looks nice other than no protection for the NM

mdshunk

Nope. Looks like it closely follows the structure. If you failed me for that, I'd re-do it as open wiring on insulators on the ceiling and make you like it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
My eye's playin tricks .. For some rediculous reason I was looking at it sideways.

OPP's

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
scwirenut said:
that is for type AC cable, nm does not have that limitation
Read art 334.23-- it applies to nm also.

That being said I have never seen an installation as such get turned down. I cannot imagine why that would be a violation.

scwirenut

Dennis Alwon said:

That being said I have never seen an installation as such get turned down. I cannot imagine why that would be a violation.

wow!. this is why I shop here, lol I have wired 100's of houses wrong..omg

you live and learn, thanks.....

quogueelectric

Pierre C Belarge said:
Code wise, do you see any issues with this wiring?
IMG_6858.jpg
I dont particularly like the wire being surfacemounted I do not see the service light , service receptacle or the service disconnect. I think the flue pipe has too many elbows in it but that is a plumbing issue I am not sure if it is a y or a t it should be a y.

Last edited:

M. D.

mdshunk said:
But it could have had a scuttle hole and not stairs.

Not sure that matters in regard to a wiring method

Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building

I don't think that wiring is permanently closed in even with a scuttle hole

Dennis Alwon said:

Just because a job may pass inspections in the area where you work, and the NEC is not being enforced does not make it a code compliant installation. (disregarding local codes)
It is a violation as per the section I presented.
And yes, there are many installations like this in the area I inspect in...that is until I see the job and speak to the EC. :wink: :D

MD
The wiring method is different for accessible attics by stairs, and attics that may be accessible by a scuttle hole...the difference is significant. Read all of 334.23- 320.23.

480sparky

ItsHot said:
Yeah, You never know when the HO will be walking on his walls!:grin:

Or having the HVAC equipment replaced, or moving the ducts around during a remodel, or storing stuff against the walls, or using the NM to hang stuff off of......

ItsHot

code violation

code violation

Pierre C Belarge said:
Actually the issue is one of storage. When one gets into some of the attics, there is so much storage that the possibility of damaging the cables/conductors becomes significant.
Pierre I agree with your point! This may be one:-? of the most violated articles in residential wiring. I remember the most recent attic that I have been in. It had a drop ladder access without any "running board" protection. And a ton of stowables up there!

Status
Not open for further replies.