Backstabs - fact or urban legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Backstabs - fact or urban legend?

Minuteman, why did you change these panels?

I have been in the trade about 22 years and have never seen any damage from FPE Stab-Lok breakers. I read comments all the time about how dangerous they are but have never seen any documents to back this up. In my area FPE and Zinsco equipment was very popular so I have worked with both of these manufactures equipment quite a bit. The only time I replace these panels is when they will not handle the new loads. I have Zinsco service equipment in my house and see no reason to replace it. FPE did have problems with some breakers for a while but this doesn?t mean all of them are bad. All manufactures have had issues with their equipment at some time. I have now seen two instances when branch circuit conductors were damaged when Siemens 15 amps breakers failed to trip. There are several large distributors of used breakers in my area who test all breakers they sell. I have asked them how often FPE breakers fail the testing and their answer is almost never.

Curt

Minuteman

Originally posted by curt swartz:
Minuteman, why did you change these panels?
The most recent had a severely burned 2P50 on the range circuit. The one before that was a 2P30 on a dryer. In both cases, the buss was damaged. The other panel replacement started out as a furnace circuit upgrade estimate , it had 2 Single Pole 30's connected to the dryer that had heat damage but were working and no more room in the panel.

I do not suggest a change out on FPE (or Zinsco) just for change sake. As with any brand panel we only change those with cause (i.e. damage, double lugging, upgrade, relocation).

I gave an estimate two days ago on a Square D that had damaged bus. What can I say?

Minuteman

Originally posted by curt swartz:
I read comments all the time about how dangerous they are but have never seen any documents to back this up... There are several large distributors of used breakers in my area who test all breakers they sell. I have asked them how often FPE breakers fail the testing and their answer is almost never.
Curt read this FPE failure rate summary

Status
Not open for further replies.