Bad gen-set install

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So it's not a screw bonding jumper but a small piece of bus.

The white conductor at the left looks like the strands are folded over. ;)
The strap is designed to be removed if necessary. I had one installation where there was a service 150 amp rated disconnect ahead of the ATS and I had to float the neutral. And yes, the white wire was a # 6 and is folded over. The generator is a 10K unit (45 amp output) serving a 150 amp panel. I folded the wire so it would fit more securely in the lug.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
is that white control wire actually a neutral or is it being used as an ungrounded conductor? just curious because its fused. Thanks
Those are the power sensing wires. According to the manual N1 and N2 are 240 vac utility sensing output and the T1 terminal is 120 vac load sensing output and all go to the generator control panel. You can check for yourself in the installation manual.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/manuals/rtsd install-1-12.pdf

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The strap is designed to be removed if necessary. I had one installation where there was a service 150 amp rated disconnect ahead of the ATS and I had to float the neutral.

That makes sense. However when set up as the service disconnect you still cannot land a GEC on the ground bus with the factory setup in the photo.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
How about this one....
Don't know how to interpret your post. Are we in agreement ?
No.
Yup, that one's pretty explicit. :)

I cannot tell from the photo but is the neutral bus bonded with only a screw?
From what I remember there is a strap and nut and it bonds the buss to the enclosure. ...
So it's not a screw bonding jumper but a small piece of bus.

Don't let the bonding strap fool you.

250.24(A) said:
(4) Main Bonding Jumper as Wire or Busbar. Where the
main bonding jumper specified in 250.28 is a wire or busbar
and is installed from the grounded conductor terminal
bar or bus to the equipment grounding terminal bar or bus

in the service equipment, the grounding electrode conductor
shall be permitted to be connected to the equipment
grounding terminal, bar, or bus to which the main bonding
jumper is connected.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k130/goldstar13397/Gen-setcodeviolations005.jpg

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

You must have some "touchy" antivirus software!:happyyes:
The link opened fine for me, and I have some pretty good antivirus stuff, plus some browser built in stuff.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

You attempted to access:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k130/goldstar13397/Gen-setcodeviolations005.jpg

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.
I get that Norton 360 warning following photobucket links from time to time. I got it when I first clicked on the link for the '006.jpg. I clicked on the "continue anyway" link on the warning page, and proceeded without a problem. No such warning on revisits. I believe the warning is mostly because of linked-in advertising elements on the photobucket website in general.

Last edited:

KOsealed

That makes sense. However when set up as the service disconnect you still cannot land a GEC on the ground bus with the factory setup in the photo.
This is true, but it brings a whole new dynamic into the situation.

The installation manual and all the accompanying documentation say to terminate the GEC/s on the ground bar in the lower left hand side of the ATS. Generac specifically says to do that and gives no option to terminate the GEC/s on the neutral bar.

The only option seems to be installing an appropriate sized jumper from the neutral bar to the ground bar, since terminating the GEC/s on the neutral bar would be a 110.3(B) violation.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

You attempted to access:

I had a problem with Photobucket years ago and posted the problem here in the Forum. Many of us here use Photobucket to display photos and I once got a virus from the site. I hadn't used the service for several years but it seems to be OK now from what I can tell.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No.
Don't let the bonding strap fool you.
I'm sorry. I'm not breaking your chops but I'm still not following you. This is what I normally do with these transfer switches with respect to the GEC. In this case I used PVC between the meter and the transfer switch. When I use a metal offset nipple I use a bonding bushing on the transfer switch side and terminate the ground wire on the ground bar :

HurricaneSandy-Ringwooddamage009.jpg

In this transfer switch there are only 4 positions available on the neutral bar. A strap bonds the neutral bar to the enclosure. The ground bar shown above is used to terminate all misc. ground wires including the GEC. The fact that the manufacturer uses a strap to bond the cabinet to the neutral bar is apparently an approved design. What have I done wrong ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Smart stated you need to connect the EGC bus and the neutral bus together with either a wire or bus bar bonding jumper. The photo depicts the connection via the metal enclosure which would not allow you to connect the GEC's to the ground bus.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As Smart stated you need to connect the EGC bus and the neutral bus together with either a wire or bus bar bonding jumper. The photo depicts the connection via the metal enclosure which would not allow you to connect the GEC's to the ground bus.
OK. I see your point. How am I supposed to accomplish this with the way Generac has designed the transfer switch ? And how is this different in the case of a main breaker panel where the neutral/ground bars are bonded to the back of the enclosure via a screw ?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
OK. I see your point. How am I supposed to accomplish this with the way Generac has designed the transfer switch ? And how is this different in the case of a main breaker panel where the neutral/ground bars are bonded to the back of the enclosure via a screw ?

From my viewpoint, no different and, like the ATS, your GEC should be connected to the grounded (neutral) bar and not an EGC bar secured to the can.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

In that case you connected directly to the bar where the neutral is terminated, not really the same as the example in the photo. I would be curious to hear what Generac has to say about this problem. Obviously there needs to be more terminals on the neutral bar.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From my viewpoint, no different and, like the ATS, your GEC should be connected to the grounded (neutral) bar and not an EGC bar secured to the can.
So, what you're saying is that I should have run say a # 4 from the 4th spot on the neutral bar to the ground bar and then connect the GEC and EGC's there. Is that correct ?

ElecQuest

OK. I see your point. How am I supposed to accomplish this with the way Generac has designed the transfer switch ?
Just run a jumper from the neutral bar to the ground bar.

There is a lot that Generac hasn't thought about, such as the neutral lugs in the 20KW generator with a 100A disconnect not being able to accept a #3.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In that case you connected directly to the bar where the neutral is terminated, not really the same as the example in the photo. I would be curious to hear what Generac has to say about this problem. Obviously there needs to be more terminals on the neutral bar.
I would be curious as well. If what we've discussed here is correct then I would bet there are a lot of installations out there that are (technically) in violation

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So, what you're saying is that I should have run say a # 4 from the 4th spot on the neutral bar to the ground bar and then connect the GEC and EGC's there. Is that correct ?

That would make it code compliant.

I'm wondering how many inspectors would ever find this problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.