Bath receptacle in bathtub space???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermudd

IMG_3687.jpg

If you were an inspector how would you call this one? Bath tub is to the right. And if you had to move the receptacle where would you put it?

My first picture I hope it works.

Cavie

mistermudd said:
th_IMG_3687.jpg

If you were an inspector how would you call this one? Bath tub is to the right. And if you had to move the receptacle where would you put it?

Put the receptical in the mirror. It is done everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:

gndrod

fix

fix

mistermudd said:
th_IMG_3687.jpg

Hi Mrmudd,

Frame out a wall partition between the lav and tub with a new GFCI protected receptacle in the partition side of lav. If asthetics is a concern, a good glazier can wrap the partition with mirror to look high-end. rbj

gndrod

Cavies fix

Cavies fix

Cavie said:
Put the receptical in the mirror. It is done everyday.

Didn't see you post while typing. The mirror may be bonded to the wall. That may be a challenge unless the glazier is Dale Chilhuly. :) rbj

quogueelectric

Where should the rceptacle go??

Where should the rceptacle go??

mistermudd said:
th_IMG_3687.jpg

On the left side of the sink of course!!

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
How could moving the outlet 5 inch's to the left into the mirror going to make it any safer ????????????????
If it is GFI protected I don't see a problem.

gndrod

fix 3

fix 3

Pierre C Belarge said:
I am curious.
I see that the receptacle is not a GFCI device. Are there 2 sinks there, with one GFCI protected device by that other sink?
If not, is this a GFCI CBer protected device?

Hi Pierre,

Would a soap dish with a GFCI in it work? (I couldn't resist.) rbj

mistermudd

Yeh, two basins GFCI is elsewhere in the house.
Even with GFCI protection do you wanna be in the tub when you make your wife mad and she throws her blow dryer in with you??

NEC 406.8(C) Recept. shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

The way I see this one is the receptacle is not directly over the tub but it is within the bath "stall".

If the receptacle was 6" in the mirror it would be code complaint but not any safer.

Minuteman

gndrod said:
Pierre's spot on. 406.8(C) Bathtub and shower space....Recepts shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.
Yep, that's what it says and moving it 5" would make it code compliant, but... it still won't be one bit safer.

frizbeedog

gndrod said:
Pierre's spot on. 406.8(C) Bathtub and shower space....Recepts shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Wasn't debating that. Still, how is it any safer. Lets go out on a limb. Just for fun.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
This is one of those situations where your inspector can show you just how much of a power trip he needs or doesn't need to have. This is not a tub "stall" if you look at the receptacle it is over the tub "platform" as this is on a granite slab , and it is outside of the outer rim of the tub, if the counter was 3'' longer it would be over the counter.
90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity.
(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.

If the purpose of the code is safety and moving the receptacle doesn't make it "SAFER" why would you go to the letter of the code and not the purpose of the code??????????????????????

frizbeedog

acrwc10 said:
This is one of those situations where your inspector can show you just how much of a power trip he needs or doesn't need to have. This is not a tub "stall" if you look at the receptacle it is over the tub "platform" as this is on a granite slab , and it is outside of the outer rim of the tub, if the counter was 3'' longer it would be over the counter.
90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity.
(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.

If the purpose of the code is safety and moving the receptacle doesn't make it "SAFER" why would you go to the letter of the code and not the purpose of the code??????????????????????

I like the "Practical Safegaurding" bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.