Before/after

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

No more room. HO needed to add another AC in this maxed out panel.

electrical423.jpg

Jimpanelchange013.jpg

Now that it's a legitimate topic, has anyone ever run into another board member on the street? I ran into Vertex today at lunch. It was pretty cool. I took a late lunch @ 2:30 and stumbled into Panda Express, filthy dirty and beat down from this panel change. Paul recognized my truck and we BS'ed a bit before I had to go back and finish.

Don't forget your level! You know your going to need it tomorrow when you are working on the other side of town.

220/221

Lower left, in the "before" photo, there is what appears to be a new EMT run with no wiring in it.

That's what started the ball rolling. AC guy was trying to add a circuit. There were two blanks in the deadfront but no bus space. Apparently he didn't notice until he had run the pipe:roll: I put it back in the new panel for him.

He had the HO call us and I told him I'd replace the panel.

Was the water an electrode? The chase would need a bonding locknut in the very least IMO. But the opening although on the back - by the way the code is worded would need to be listed wet...

Water was electrode when installed. Ground rods are now electrodes. There are so many plastic water service pipes around here now that they don't even consider the water as an electrode. We always enter our panels in the back via chase nipple or, more often, plastic snap in bushing. Not NEC compliant but locally amended/compliant.

The wire bending space does not appear to be adequate where the meter cables enter in to the panel.

Now that you mention it, I believe you are correct. I appreciate the input.

Is my vision going, or it the new panel, actually an older style under size box?

Beats me? It was new, in the box. It measured close to the old one @ just over 14" if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Buck Parrish

220/221 - I got to give you kudos (what ever they are) for posting photos of your work.
Some one once said it's like performing "a night at the Apollo"

220/221

I post them all the time at the other board. I generally learn something. If not about electrical work, about people.

220/221

I use Photobucket.

1. Download a crapload of pics for free.

2. Copy the URL for the selected pic and paste it into the window that pops up when you click the picture icon above the post area ^

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Sealing locknuts.

Sealing locknuts.

Beats me. What does it say? I used sealing locknuts/fittings everywhere except the chase nipple.

I'm interested in these sealing locknuts and fittings. What brand are they and where can you get them?

220/221

I'm interested in these sealing locknuts and fittings. What brand are they and where can you get them?

I'll have to check the brand. I'm sure all the supply houses have them. It's just a lacknut with some pliable plastic bonded to it. They are sometimes a pain to thread on but they are more stealthy than a meyers hub.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Can someone point out the code article for the above statement?

2008 Article 312.2 Damp and Wet Locations
. . . For enclosures in wet locations, raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.

The chase nipple in the center above the buss is a violation. The offset nipple with just a locknut and bond bushing would be also along with the three other pipes coming into the panel on the left. 220/221 says the are self sealing. My suppliers and I are waiting anxiously to see what brand these are.

Status
Not open for further replies.