Behind schedule job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speshulk

Goodpoints readydave8 & Speshulk but if the GC, financee, or homeowner hang these cans

It is understood by ALL that GC, homeowner,or financee are responsible for code compliance

(can lights not installed in return air spaces) & appearance issues-can lights in a straight line

All true, but we all know how important word of mouth is in this business. The one person that won't understand is the potential future customer that walks in and only sees a job that wasn't done professionally.

GerryB

All true, but we all know how important word of mouth is in this business. The one person that won't understand is the potential future customer that walks in and only sees a job that wasn't done professionally.

As the OP I will say that it will be the Gc and one of his men doing the cans, not the fiance or the homeowner. This is a high end house, and it is more the GC's reputation than mine here. I think he will be more meticulous than I would be. I will be saving a lot of time and will be making about $70.00 a can to wire.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm in big trouble then, that is probably about 75% of what I do, alone and/or in a remote location.:eek:

Truth is, I do too but there are places I work where I make it a point to be gone before dark. I work in some bad urban neighborhoods & also some rural locations where things have been known to happen. I try to use good judgment when/where, etc.

I am always armed but I still try to avoid possible traps.

jmellc

Occupation
Screw that. It's gonna be you that looks stupid when people walk in to a house with recessed lights that don't line up and ask, "Who wired this place?" Think anyone's gonna say, "The GC installed the fixtures?"

I'd have to see the 1st room or 2 of lights they hang & be sure they do them straight. If not, I'd say "sorry, no can do". You would think a GC would be smart enough & aware enough to know the lights need to be straight & evenly spaced but I have seen a few that just are not with it and make obvious errors.

Speaking of can lights, be sure too, to have a drawing. We had a GC that was forever burying can lights, switches & receptacles. Supposedly a high end contractor but mostly a bag of hot air who was good at scamming customers.

kwired

Electron manager
Truth is, I do too but there are places I work where I make it a point to be gone before dark. I work in some bad urban neighborhoods & also some rural locations where things have been known to happen. I try to use good judgment when/where, etc.

I am always armed but I still try to avoid possible traps.

I am always armed too. One left arm and one right arm:D I hope I am not carrying something when/if someone would approach me with bad intentions, that would limit use of my arms.

jmellc

Occupation
I am always armed too. One left arm and one right arm:D I hope I am not carrying something when/if someone would approach me with bad intentions, that would limit use of my arms.

With the condition of my shoulders & hands these days, my arms would not be much good for defense. The equalizer is good from a few yards away and when outnumbered. I worked a copper theft job in 1 of the worst neighborhoods in town. Street people were always coming up to bum money, ask about work, etc. I was working alone and open carried on that job, crossdraw style, front of belly. A passerby would not usually notice. Someone approaching saw it clearly. A few started over & just backed away when they saw it. A few others came up & still asked their favors. Some offered cleanup or yard services. I took their names & passed on to the owner. I figured those who backed away had bad intentions. A number of muggings in our city have started out with someone being approached for money, directions, etc.

renosteinke

Well! I think we've set some sort of record for how far and how fast a thread can go off on a tangent. From the 'late job' to 'where to carry the gun.'

When you're "under the gun," (I couldn't resist), it's all that more important that you have a helper. Or, YOU be the helper for your guys. Someone to fetch things, someone to clean up, someone to lend a hand, someone to load & unload.

I suppose thet's the difference between 'leading' and 'managing.' Maybe, instead of throwing yourself into the job and turning a screwdriver, you can be more effective simply by being there to make sure the guys have everything they need to keep on working.

It's also critical to HAVE A PLAN - and stick to it. We can all tell storys of things that went wrong when we rushed things. It's harder to get lost when you have a map.

jmellc

Occupation
Well! I think we've set some sort of record for how far and how fast a thread can go off on a tangent. From the 'late job' to 'where to carry the gun.'

When you're "under the gun," (I couldn't resist), it's all that more important that you have a helper. Or, YOU be the helper for your guys. Someone to fetch things, someone to clean up, someone to lend a hand, someone to load & unload.

I suppose thet's the difference between 'leading' and 'managing.' Maybe, instead of throwing yourself into the job and turning a screwdriver, you can be more effective simply by being there to make sure the guys have everything they need to keep on working.

It's also critical to HAVE A PLAN - and stick to it. We can all tell storys of things that went wrong when we rushed things. It's harder to get lost when you have a map.

I agree 100%. The more pressure on a job, the more important to keep people on it and to help out in any way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.