Ceiling Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

one fan, drive time to and from hang fan remote doesnt work right fan wobbles there goes the morning, not worth the trip because to many guys are solo charging 50 no thanks

quogueelectric

Change out a fan existing no muss no fuss fan box existing 75 cutting in 2 gang switch running new 3 wire to new fan support box old work 150-200 depending on degree of difficulty fan speed control NOT included.

macmikeman

I could do a ceiling fan replacement for $150 but I won't. So instead- existing fan rated box is $300. I don't care what other guys hang fans for around here. You called me and that is my price. On another note, ceiling fan installation is pretty much a drag for me. I did not spend my years training just to look forward to getting the chance to go hang one of those. But if you really want to pay me what I want to do it, I guess so, ok I'll come do it...... You don't have to actually say all that to a customer, but if you think like that your life will get better. I never have had real slow downs, and the economy sucks here too fellas.

satcom

I could do a ceiling fan replacement for $150 but I won't. So instead- existing fan rated box is $300. I don't care what other guys hang fans for around here. You called me and that is my price. On another note, ceiling fan installation is pretty much a drag for me. I did not spend my years training just to look forward to getting the chance to go hang one of those. But if you really want to pay me what I want to do it, I guess so, ok I'll come do it...... You don't have to actually say all that to a customer, but if you think like that your life will get better. I never have had real slow downs, and the economy sucks here too fellas.

You have it right with the box issues, some boxes can go in easy, but many can take hours to change, the cable may be to short, or the insulation is rot, some installs may require a circuit extension. I din't see anyone talk about the trip or time or the fact they had an expensive stocked truck on site, they just talked about, the fan install time, and even that can vary, some fans may require assembly, then the missing parts problems can ruin your planed time. In my opinion, a fan install is not a rubber stamp price.

Loffgren

$125.00 Fan install with new fan rated box.

Extra if conductors are short....

We do NOT balance fans...No way...

MarkyMarkNC

Bonus question along the lines of the OPs........

Who here will balance a fan? :cool:

I've probably hung a thousand fans in my career, and have used those little balancing kits that come with the fan exactly zero times. I always....

-Make sure the blades are tight and at equal angles.
-Don't hang super cheap fans.
-Don't drop the fan motor on the floor.:mad:

Every time I've done those three things I have had close to zero wobble.:D

I'll be honest, I wouldn't even know what to do with those little weights that come with the fans. I would be curious to see if there was anyone that had the patience to mess with them.

satcom

$125.00 Fan install with new fan rated box.

Extra if conductors are short....

We do NOT balance fans...No way...

There is nothing wrong with the $125 price, as long as you inform the customer of all the possible added charges, and what their cost, may be.

480sparky

Is this to be balanced on:
ones head
ones finger tip
or
ones foot, like a soccer ball

Balance so they don't go wob, wob, wob, wob.........

...........I'll be honest, I wouldn't even know what to do with those little weights that come with the fans. I would be curious to see if there was anyone that had the patience to mess with them.

I have to balance the cheap import fans some people buy. I charge for the time, though.

Every Hunter fan I install comes with a kit, and I doubt I've ever had to use them on the Hunter. I keep them and use them on the cheapies.

macmikeman

You give me a then thousand dollar fan and it is going to wobble wobble if the support is not fixed properly. So the problem is where I live they throw these cardboard box structures up with two or three nails and it all shakes and moves around. Hunter makes a lot of wobble fans by the way, they do not deserve the reputation of higher qualiity they have.

bradleyelectric

It could take hours to balance a fan!
what a pita

not if I'm balancing it. A push on a blade here a time or two, if that doesn't work put the fan on a lower speed and show them the balancing kit and the paperwork. That's all the patience I have in the balancing department. I know the supporting box is installed well before I hang the fan. I didn't buy the cheap fan and I'm not going to balance junk some clown bought somewhere other than where I recommended. If they think a quality fan is to much money they certainly can't afford to pay me to make it something it's not.

petey_c

I charge $125. I haven't had to balance a fan in years. As far as cheap fans go, when I first got married and didn't know better (applies to both marriage and electric...) I bought an Emcon fan at one of the "marts" for $20 or $30 (1985 dollars in Va.). It lasted hum free for ten years. Now I cringe when I have to install a "bargain" fan. I just have to give them my "outta sight" guarantee. pete

ultramegabob

not if I'm balancing it. A push on a blade here a time or two, if that doesn't work put the fan on a lower speed and show them the balancing kit and the paperwork. That's all the patience I have in the balancing department. I know the supporting box is installed well before I hang the fan. I didn't buy the cheap fan and I'm not going to balance junk some clown bought somewhere other than where I recommended. If they think a quality fan is to much money they certainly can't afford to pay me to make it something it's not.

I totally agree with ya there, I wont waste any time trying to balance a piece of junk fan. I think its funny how the manufactures supply those self adhesive chunks of lead that are big enough to balance a car tire.

Don't forget

Don't forget

I've probably hung a thousand fans in my career, and have used those little balancing kits that come with the fan exactly zero times. I always....

-Make sure the blades are tight and at equal angles.
-Don't hang super cheap fans.
-Don't drop the fan motor on the floor.:mad:

Every time I've done those three things I have had close to zero wobble.:D

I can say ditto to this and add..... always start with a securely mounted fan rated box.

As far as cost to R/R a basic fan anywhere from $175-$225

mivey

I would be curious to see if there was anyone that had the patience to mess with them.
Done it many times.
Every Hunter fan I install comes with a kit, and I doubt I've ever had to use them on the Hunter.
I have had problems with Hunters before. It is usually warped blades instead of bad weights. Hunter will send free replacement blades.
Then you're doing it wrong. 10 minutes. 15 tops.
Agreed if it is a weight issue.

You will never sucessfully balance warped blades as they will continue to warp. You can balance at one speed and it will be off at another.

iam14sure

Fan install

Fan install

We do the fan installs for Home Depot. They charge $122. if existing box is ok and less than 12 feet high. We have seen fans that wobble no matter what you do and they usually are replaced by H.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.