Ceiling Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

Since we are talking about prices, I would like to know what others are charging for hanging a standard ceiling fan. No higher than 12' with an existing fan rated box already installed.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm with Scott on this one unless it's your neighbor and you want to do him a favor. It all takes time. Drive to the job, set up the ladder, take down old, hang new, put the erector set together (fan blades, close to ceiling ? or std 4" drop ? or longer extension pipe ?). That alone will take you an hour. Then clean up, put the ladder back in the truck, write out the invoice.

If you're in an area that will only bring you $75.00 for this job so be it. In my area I can't take the ladder off my truck for $75.00;)

zapped 1

down here our average labor rate is around 75. per hour we are a little low @68 but low overhead and small sop allow this but on top of that there is always someone to do it cheaper

This is my favorite non-profit activity. At say $95.00 the customer thinks your a thief. If all goes well you won't lose much. But...
1) Pretty good chance ceiling box not fan rated. So you want $40 -$50 to dig out old box put in old work fan brace, customer says skip it, you leave with empty pockets or donate a fan box.
2) Reasonable chance fan or globe will be damaged to begin with. Customer says "oops I guess you'll have to come back another day"
3) Small chance fan will not balance. This will be your fault.
When my wife talks ceiling fans, I say turn up the AC.

Kdog76

Since we are talking about prices, I would like to know what others are charging for hanging a standard ceiling fan. No higher than 12' with an existing fan rated box already installed.

I would like to see around $150.00, fan box included in the price (if it's installed or not). Problem is, unless its down to about $100, I probably won't get the job. $125.00 and that's my final answer.

aline

Most of my customers buy their fan at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Lowe's charges $119 for basic labor to install a fan.

No way am I going to charge less than Lowe's.
After all they are the low price leader.
I'd hate to ruin that for them.

My price starts at $119 and goes up from there.
Usually the box needs to be replaced with a fan rated box.
I try to charge enough for the box replacement to help make up for the low fan installation price and try to sell a Lutron fan and light controller with the fan installation.

Of course a nice whole house surge protector is a nice addition to the fan installation.
It will help protect that Lutron fan controller as well as other electronic equipment throughout the home. Need one for the phone and cable lines too. :)

Don't forget about replacing the smoke detectors that are over 10 years old. GFCI receptacles, dimmers, etc. :)

electricmanscott

This is my favorite non-profit activity. At say $95.00 the customer thinks your a thief. If all goes well you won't lose much. But...
1) Pretty good chance ceiling box not fan rated. So you want $40 -$50 to dig out old box put in old work fan brace, customer says skip it, you leave with empty pockets or donate a fan box.
2) Reasonable chance fan or globe will be damaged to begin with. Customer says "oops I guess you'll have to come back another day"
3) Small chance fan will not balance. This will be your fault.
When my wife talks ceiling fans, I say turn up the AC.

That may all be true but as far as #1 goes that's doesn't apply to the ops question.
As for #2 that's when you nail them with another trip charge.

Those two instances would certainly not fall under my 125 buckaroonies charge. :)

I try to charge enough for the box replacement to help make up for the low fan installation price and try to sell a Lutron fan and light controller with the fan installation.

Of course a nice whole house surge protector is a nice addition to the fan installation.
It will help protect that Lutron fan controller as well as other electronic equipment throughout the home. Need one for the phone and cable lines too. :)

Don't forget about replacing the smoke detectors that are over 10 years old. GFCI receptacles, dimmers, etc. :)

I like it, self marketing while on the job. There are a lot of guys who will not do this. I think it is a great idea.

What I am also thinking and have not heard mention, is overhead costs/profit.

No matter what the economy may be doing, your overhead is not shrinking. I cannot understand some of the prices I am seeing. Are you really even making any money.
take your yearly overhead, and divide by the number of day you are working. I bet it comes out to a lot more than you think.
Especially if you are not working full days due to the economy.

okeefe

I will charge a $125.00 to replace a ceiling fan, to existing fan rated box. Plus charge more if they want you to install their remote control. I do ceiling fans but they are lose leader jobs for me unless I am getting to replace three fans in one visit.

celtic

No Power Saver?
:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My 1 hour minimum is $150 if that's all I'm going there for.

Status
Not open for further replies.