Charging for estimates is not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So could you explain to me why should there be a difference between a project funded from my tax$'s and one that I pay directly out-of pocket?

Sure... it's about scale and scope and competence.

Tiny scale, unknown scope, zero competence at the buyers end of the transaction.

The effort required to overcome the second two issues is fair game but when the scale of the work is so small there is very little to justify the effort as part of overhead and normal operations... even when you do actually get the job.

aline

I had a guy call and say he needed a fire suppression hood wired up in his restuarant.
By the convesation I had with him over the phone I assumed it was just installed and he needed the electrical to the equipment under the hood interfaced with the hood.

When I get there I find an old building that is completely gutted. There's no walls, no equipment, nothing but an empty shell of a building. He says he's going to open a restuarant and then he starts pointing and says, there's going to be bathrooms over there, theres going to be a soda fountain over there, there's going be some cooking equipment over there with the hood above it, there will be booths and table over there, etc.

He doesn't have any prints at all and he wants me to give him an estimate to wire his restuarant. I told him to call me when he has some prints and specs on the project.

This was one where I went out without charging a dispatch fee. What a waste of my time.

I have no idea why he said over the phone he just needed his fire suppression hood wired and didn't mention he needed the whole restuarant wired.

Last edited:

macmikeman

This was one where I went out without charging a dispatch fee. What a waste of my time.

I have no idea why he said over the phone he just needed his fire suppression hood wired and didn't mention he needed the whole restuarant wired.

I had something like this not long ago, but it was a house call I didn't charge a dispatch to come look at. I didn't cause the wife owns a company that my kid works at on weekends and during summers. After they decided they didn't want to do the job they asked me to come out and look at, the husband pipes in with " thanks for comming out to look anyway" and turns to walk back into the house. I spoke up. I told him I normaly charge 45 in that area to dispatch and come out. I told him I didn't apply that to them and why. I told him now that they wasted my time it does apply to them. The guy pulls out the wallet and hands over the money. My kid still works there....

Sparky555

I had something like this not long ago, but it was a house call I didn't charge a dispatch to come look at. I didn't cause the wife owns a company that my kid works at on weekends and during summers. After they decided they didn't want to do the job they asked me to come out and look at, the husband pipes in with " thanks for comming out to look anyway" and turns to walk back into the house. I spoke up. I told him I normaly charge 45 in that area to dispatch and come out. I told him I didn't apply that to them and why. I told him now that they wasted my time it does apply to them. The guy pulls out the wallet and hands over the money. My kid still works there....

Very impressive. I'm not worthy to be on the same forum.

growler

So could you explain to me why should there be a difference between a project funded from my tax$'s and one that I pay directly out-of pocket?

Could someone explain to me why a steak cost more than a hamburger? I was under the impression that they are both beef and that beef all comes from cows.

Why is that I can get a six pack of soda at the store for $2.50 and yet that darn machine keeps charging me a $1 ea., I think it's ripping me off.

Why is it that service stations are now charging for air, I thought air was supposed to be free. What, I even have to pay to use the bathroom!

Next they will be charging for a place to park. What's this ticket doing on my windshield? :-?:-?

Yes, why would anyone ever pay for parking when there are other places that have free parking? Why would anyone pay a dollar a can for soda when they know it's cheaper at the store? If you look around long enough you can find free air and free facilities. And if a hamburger and steak are the same thing then why not just eat hamburger, it's cheaper.

emahler

Could someone explain to me why a steak cost more than a hamburger? I was under the impression that they are both beef and that beef all comes from cows.

Why is that I can get a six pack of soda at the store for $2.50 and yet that darn machine keeps charging me a $1 ea., I think it's ripping me off.

Why is it that service stations are now charging for air, I thought air was supposed to be free. What, I even have to pay to use the bathroom!

Next they will be charging for a place to park. What's this ticket doing on my windshield? :-?:-?

Yes, why would anyone ever pay for parking when there are other places that have free parking? Why would anyone pay a dollar a can for soda when they know it's cheaper at the store? If you look around long enough you can find free air and free facilities. And if a hamburger and steak are the same thing then why not just eat hamburger, it's cheaper.

i ask you again....will you please stop letting facts get in the way of a good opinion...

As an engineer I'm not sure why you have such an interest in this thread.
Are you planning on starting an electrical contracting company that specializes in small jobs, service and repairs for commercial and residential? That's what this topic is about.

Well, even though I can do many of the electrical work in my house, some I would not be profficient, I would hire a Contractor. So I speak here as a Customer. Should I just shut up and take whatever the 'electrician' decides I should pay? All electricians are honest and upright businessmen by default?

There was a small reconstruction job on my house, <$3K. I called three contractors to come and take a lok at the work and to give me a detailed BID, not estimate. I decided to go with the middle price as I felt much more comfortable with the individuals professionalism than the one who prvided the lower cost. None of them asked for a fee to give me a price. I had some idea of what it could cost, and even though I was in the ballpark, it was around a time when everybody was still busy and the Contractors dictated the price.

Having said that I would hate to see the disappearence of the small contractors and be taken over by the outfits that run 10's of crews and to pay the overhead associated with that. I also like the personal touch and the sense if the Contractor has the awareness that he is doing something for me that willbe part of my home, my surroundings for time to come. Alas, the current economic trend as we evidenced from the comment made to Joe the Plumber, is aimed at driving the prices up and attacking the small business owner.

Last edited:

Rewire

I had a guy call and say he needed a fire suppression hood wired up in his restuarant.
By the convesation I had with him over the phone I assumed it was just installed and he needed the electrical to the equipment under the hood interfaced with the hood.

When I get there I find an old building that is completely gutted. There's no walls, no equipment, nothing but an empty shell of a building. He says he's going to open a restuarant and then he starts pointing and says, there's going to be bathrooms over there, theres going to be a soda fountain over there, there's going be some cooking equipment over there with the hood above it, there will be booths and table over there, etc.

He doesn't have any prints at all and he wants me to give him an estimate to wire his restuarant. I told him to call me when he has some prints and specs on the project.

This could have been avoided if you had asked if the equipment was installed.Was your time really "weasted" or did you take the opertunity to establish a relationship with a potential customer?

was Joe the plumber licensed ?? i seemed to of heard maybe not

No and that was the whole point that was spinned. He was trying to get licensed and open his shop, but if he is going to be taxed into extinction then why spend the money and loose it on the end. Our media - just the facts, Ma'am - did not even know as much that when you work for a plumbing company the Owbner holds the license and the individuals working for him can have various training and do not need to have a license. All media outlets ran with the story. Just to show how out of touch are they with middle America!

growler

when you work for a plumbing company the Owbner holds the license and the individuals working for him can have various training and do not need to have a license.

Not really true, in many states to work as a service plumber the tech on the truck needs a journeyman's license because he is working without supervision.

Not really true, in many states to work as a service plumber the tech on the truck needs a journeyman's license because he is working without supervision.
Not NECESSARILY true, but may be true.

Regardless, it was not the point.

The point WAS that he never CLAIMED to be a licensed plumber, nor did he necessarily need to be for the purpose of that conversation. He said he is contemplating of opening a plumbing business and having second thoughts if the changing economic model will not support his business model due to share the wealth, read; economic redistribution.

aline

This could have been avoided if you had asked if the equipment was installed.Was your time really "weasted" or did you take the opertunity to establish a relationship with a potential customer?
When he called he said he needed the wiring electrical wiring for this hood for his restuarant. I just assumed he actually had a restuarant not an empty shell of a building.
I wasn't too concerned whether or not the equipment was intalled yet. I figured he would have the information on the hood and the equipment that he needed wired. I didn't think to ask him if he actually had a restuarant or just an empty shell of a building.

I was very nice to him and explained that I would neet prints and specifications before I could estimate the job for him. I left him my business card and told him to call me when he got them. This was about two years ago and to this day the building is still sitting empty. It doesn't look like he's opening a restaurant there after all.

aline

I had another customer call wanting an estimate on an addition for their home. Again this was before I started charging a dispatch fee. I was quite busy at the time and told her I could make it out sometime next week. So I book the appointment and when the day comes I call to make sure she still wanted me to come out. This was a 45 minute drive one way. She says yes.

When I get there I see boxes already nailed up and some wire already ran. I ask her about this and she says oh my husband already has someone doing the work he just wants another estimate to compare with this guys price.

And no I did not establish a relationship with a potential customer. I didn't want this guy for a customer. :)

Last edited:

Rewire

When he called he said he needed the wiring electrical wiring for this hood for his restuarant. I just assumed he actually had a restuarant not an empty shell of a building.
I wasn't too concerned whether or not the equipment was intalled yet. I figured he would have the information on the hood and the equipment that he needed wired. I didn't think to ask him if he actually had a restuarant or just an empty shell of a building.

I was very nice to him and explained that I would neet prints and specifications before I could estimate the job for him. I left him my business card and told him to call me when he got them. This was about two years ago and to this day the building is still sitting empty. It doesn't look like he's opening a restaurant there after all.

I bet the next guy calling about a hood you asked if it was installed or not.

aline

I bet the next guy calling about a hood you asked if it was installed or not.
I now ask if they already have the restuarant or are just thinking about starting one. :)
When he said he needed a hood wired for his restuarant I assumed he actually had a restuarant.

Also just a note the guy did not speak english well and it was difficult to communicate with him. I don't know any spanish.

Rewire

I had another customer call wanting an estimate on an addition for their home. Again this was before I started charging a dispatch fee. I was quite busy at the time and told her I could make it out sometime next week. So I book the appointment and when the day comes I call to make sure she still wanted me to come out. This was a 45 minute drive one way. She says yes.

When I get there I see boxes already nailed up and some wire already ran. I ask her about this and she says oh my husband already has someone doing the work he just wants another estimate to compare with this guys price.

And no I did not establish a relationship with a potential customer. I didn't want this guy for a customer. :)

I'll send you 29 bucks if it will make you feel better. I would have had a little fun with it I would have wrote out such a lowball estimate it would make a trunk slammer cry then be very adament that thgis is what "everybody " charges then go home have a good laugh.I am waiting for you to tell the story about the guy with the million dollar project that didn't use you because you charged a "dispatch fee"....

aline

I'll send you 29 bucks if it will make you feel better. I would have had a little fun with it I would have wrote out such a lowball estimate it would make a trunk slammer cry then be very adament that thgis is what "everybody " charges then go home have a good laugh.I am waiting for you to tell the story about the guy with the million dollar project that didn't use you because you charged a "dispatch fee"....
If someone on the phone is describing a decent size project to me I don't charge a dispatch fee. I don't charge dispatch fees for every estimate.

I'll take my chances that the guy that wants three free estimates to put up the ceiling fan for his home isn't going to have a million dollar project for me. If he does have a million dollar project I'm sure he's going to get a lot more than three bids for it. If he's getting three bids for his ceiling fan he's not just going to just give me his million dollar project.

I'll send you my address so you can send me the $29. It will make me feel better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.