Code Compliant or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

Scrape away the paint on both enclosures where they will contact the couplings both outside and inside. This provides a thorough connection.
Provide a bonding path in each enclosure that is mechanically and electrically continuous and you've certainly met the "intent" of the code.

It would be hard to come up with language that specifically prohibits this method of providing a chase from one enclosure to another.:smile: :smile:

mdshunk said:
Didn't someone post a letter from Mark Ode on that a while back?

In any event, I don't have any problems with it myself, I've done it in the past, and will continue to do so in the future. A quick check with a DLRO will show why I don't have a problem with it. The enamel on the enclosure, in that picture, should have been ruffed off the inside, though.

You have a ground wire running between the two, if its terminated on the other side the same as on this side it provides better bonding then the conduit.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
M. D. said:
But the , in this case short raceway fitting thingy , is not bonded by that wire and the fitting thingy is not listed for the purpose... I think a legitimate concern...loose connections in metal raceways are not a good thing in general , even when an equipment grounding conductor is run.

weressl said:
You have a ground wire running between the two, if its terminated on the other side the same as on this side it provides better bonding then the conduit.

That's kind of what I was getting at, and I agree with Brian, that wouldn't even raise a flag with me, lots of other things that are far more important.

If the coupling hadn't been there and they had installed the nipple with a lock nut, what are the odds that they scraped the paint in the other panel where the flange side is? Just because they use the right parts doesn't mean it was installed right.

Jim W in Tampa

weressl said:

What is at question is the COUPLING,should a wire somehow bite into it,will it be able to clear the short.Personally i think any inspector going after something like this is looking for a reason to tag the job.Pierre is not that kind of guy,i hope.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
We have run into that question here before. Usually because of the locknut as quoted above. One inspector, on a job many years ago, took the two chase nipples loosened them up a little and held them where none of the metal (coupling or chase nipples) were touching the case and said, "That's my problem." He felt that the assembly could float and be energized by a frayed wire. So, the journeyman on the job took it apart put a nipple in with locknuts and bushings.

Where did I state I am looking to fail this install???

Where did I state I am looking to fail this install???

Some of you guys need to chill out. Maybe I need to remind you this site is for all to learn, including me.
Maybe, just maybe I am trying to help someone on a job that they have run into a situation with.

With that, I do not think the parts put together to make the connections, such as a chase nipple and a pipe coupling, are designed to make this connection. So I need to feel like it is okay to install this in the fashion pictured. We do not see this type of installation around these parts.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Although a coupling and chase nipples look great.

I would say that the coupling and chase nipples do not consitute a code compliant raceway as described in Article 100.I.Raceway.

quogueelectric

I do this all the time however I am aware that it may not be to the letter code compliant. Most inspectors spend little time on my jobs and very often tell the customer what nice work it is.

iaov

Pierre C Belarge said:
Some of you guys need to chill out. Maybe I need to remind you this site is for all to learn, including me.
Maybe, just maybe I am trying to help someone on a job that they have run into a situation with.

With that, I do not think the parts put together to make the connections, such as a chase nipple and a pipe coupling, are designed to make this connection. So I need to feel like it is okay to install this in the fashion pictured. We do not see this type of installation around these parts.
Keep posting the pictures and asking the questions Pierre. I learn something every time you do!:smile:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Pierre C Belarge said:
...I do not think the parts put together to make the connections, such as a chase nipple and a pipe coupling, are designed to make this connection. So I need to feel like it is okay to install this in the fashion pictured. We do not see this type of installation around these parts.
Rethink your position...

O-Z/Gedney said:
Type 7
Bushed Conduit Nipples
Use:
Use through knockout to connect box to conduit coupling. Use with a locknut to connect
two boxes side by side or back to back. Use with a locknut to connect fixture housings
in continuous runs.
http://www.o-zgedney.com/PDF/EA1,2,5thru11,19,20.pdf

The only thing I been looking for is oversized star washer to really lock in the bonding with the coupling as Perrie provided in the photo.

Otherwise I used locking washer due it will actally go thru the paint so it get a good bond there.

{ there is other metholds i can get the paint off but some are unorthix {sp } }

Merci,Marc

mdshunk

From the OZ Gedney catalog, about their chase nipples:

Type 7
Bushed Conduit Nipples
Use:
Use through knockout to connect box to conduit coupling. Use with a locknut to connect
two boxes side by side or back to back. Use with a locknut to connect fixture housings
in continuous runs.

paul

I've got an issue with the wasting of time and material with the striping of the wire using half a roll of phase tape. On top of that, they didn't stripe it all in one direction.

FAIL IT!

220/221

Type 7
Bushed Conduit Nipples
Use:
Use through knockout to connect box to conduit coupling.

Game, set and match.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
Some of you guys need to chill out.

And you need to stop taking everything as a personal attack against you.

I don't see any responses to this thread that are 'hot' and need to chill.

You put up a topic to discuss, your getting peoples opinions (and some references) and now you appear to be upset. :-?

electricmanscott

The picture is to me an excellent example of somebody using their brain to get an installation done in a timely and safe manner. "Legal" or not I don;t know nor do I really care. Unfortunately todays code and inspectors are trying to take the make it work way of thinking away from competent electricians. Many see something they are not used to or may not even be within the letter of the NEC and automatically think "Nope no good 110.3(B)....." rather than using common sense and saying "good idea I might not have thought of that but it works and it's safe."

I believe for some inspectors it is simply a power thing. Many times I'll have an inspection that goes fine with no obvious issues yet the inspector just has to impose his will no matter what...."Just add a few more staples here and you'll be good...." as he's signing the card any way and there is not a chance in hell that I'll go back and start adding more staples that are not relly needed. But I guess it makes him feel like he is in control.

<answer turned inspector rant over>

Last edited:
iwire said:
And you need to stop taking everything as a personal attack against you.

I don't see any responses to this thread that are 'hot' and need to chill.

You put up a topic to discuss, your getting peoples opinions (and some references) and now you appear to be upset. :-?

Since when did you become the "Grand Pooba" and start giving away such advice....As I remember it, people in "glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

Status
Not open for further replies.