Code Compliant or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul

220/221 said:
Type 7
Bushed Conduit Nipples
Use:
Use through knockout to connect box to conduit coupling.

Game, set and match.

Is it game, set and match? That is for the zinc plated malleable iron chase nipple. What about the die cast chase nipples? :confused: :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh, good grief, Charlie Brown. Can't we all just get along? :grin:

A couple of years ago, I installed a generator sub-panel and inlet for a customer. The garage had finsihed walls, so I placed the sub in the stud bay next to the existing panel.

I bored a hole in the stud in line with a side KO in the existing panel, installed the new panel, and put a threaded nipple between them, using locknuts only inside both panels.

The locknuts scraped away paint, so it's bonded, there's a separate EGC anyway, and the install looks original, since I used the same brand of panel (and I re-used his breakers).

mivey

LarryFine said:
Oh, good grief, Charlie Brown. Can't we all just get along? :grin:

A couple of years ago, I installed a generator sub-panel and inlet for a customer. The garage had finsihed walls, so I placed the sub in the stud bay next to the existing panel.

I bored a hole in the stud in line with a side KO in the existing panel, installed the new panel, and put a threaded nipple between them, using locknuts only inside both panels.

The locknuts scraped away paint, so it's bonded, there's a separate EGC anyway, and the install looks original, since I used the same brand of panel (and I re-used his breakers).
You better be glad I didn't have to inspect it!

iwire

Staff member
wbalsam1 said:
Not a thorough bond, for sure. I would have to violate an install like this. :smile:

Using what code section? :smile:

IMO the only section which can be cited (and should be) is 250.12.

The NEC requires the paint to be removed, once the connection is 'metal to metal' it will be a reliable fault path.

UL says flimsy reducing washers make reliable fault path when installed per the NEC. That being a fact it is simply not believable that a chase nipple tightened against a clean conductive surface would not be a reliable fault path as well.

mivey

lol. Nothing technical. I was just trying to get Larry to bite so I could say: "...'cause Richmond is 10 hours away and I would never have made it".

Larry went home early and spoiled my fun.:grin:

wbalsam1

iwire said:
Using what code section? :smile:

IMO the only section which can be cited (and should be) is 250.12.

The NEC requires the paint to be removed, once the connection is 'metal to metal' it will be a reliable fault path.

UL says flimsy reducing washers make reliable fault path when installed per the NEC. That being a fact it is simply not believable that a chase nipple tightened against a clean conductive surface would not be a reliable fault path as well.

I think you're right about 250.12. Double locknutting each end of the conduit nipple was the way I was taught many years ago when doing industrial wiring. This method was a sure-fire way to have the locknuts dig through the paint on both sides of the enclosure thereby ensuring a thorough connection. Not only did we double locknut, but we also tightened each locknut by hammering them with the blade of a screwdriver to really tighten them. Locknutting only one side of each conduit would not ensure a thorough bonding connection path.

paul

wbalsam1 said:
Not a thorough bond, for sure. I would have to violate an install like this. :smile:

I would have probably put on a bond bushing on one end if I had one in the van. Then I don't have to worry about a red tag.

As for the original install, I've done that many, many times. I figure the paint is removed from where the knockout or my uni-bit went through. I've used malleable and zinc FWIW. I also have used PVC FA's and a chase nipple into a concrete approved metal box for slab work. It holds much better than a TA or a BA when the iron workers kick the snot out of the PVC and I didn't see that method on the "approved" list. Of course now they just use smurf tube and call it good.
jpshakehead.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.