commercial oven from overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Thank you all for your input.

I will get in touch with the manufacturer myself (via email) and get my questions answered in writing.

Besoeker

They seem to like bureaucracy - and plenty of it.
A little to add to this.
A few years ago I was asked to look at a few failing VSDs in Hong Kong. This was after it was handed back to China but was still a thriving business district with all the high rise office blocks.
The drives were providing cooling water from the sea to water cooled aircon for many of them. The drives, from a mainstream manufacturer, weren't very reliable. It was an interesting trip.

On the day of my arrival, straight from Kai Tak airport, I was called to a meeting. Eighteen people. Myself, our direct customer, the CEO of the drives company with a few support staff, and a bunch of bodies from the facility services for the buildings and quite a few for whom I couldn't account.

There was a huge amount of discussion with the blame game being played out to its fullest extent.
Eventually I was asked how I might fix the problems. At that point I was jet lagged after a ten hour flight and and a big change in time zone, badly in need of some sleep, and a shower. And an overwhelming desire, in my zombie like state to extricate myself from a meeting of loudly chattering people.

"I don't know. But I'll tell you how in a few days time after I've fixed the problem."
Which I did on both counts.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

It would for the present loading but adding the extra 70kW might invalidate the readings.
It will be interesting to calculate how much more voltage variation will be due to the extra 70kW load, given the fault level at that point. Any calculations from your end?

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I'm an engineer, not a magician.
Rabbits and hats are not my style.
Make any reasonable assumptions you need to do the calculations. Any other things you require may also be supplied for making the calculations. But please do not ask for a magic wand. :D

Besoeker

Make any reasonable assumptions you need to do the calculations. Any other things you require may also be supplied for making the calculations. But please do not ask for a magic wand. :D
Given the number of unknown variables, that would be a singularly useless exercise.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Given the number of unknown variables, that would be a singularly useless exercise.

No. There is a simple formula to calculate the voltage drop.

Voltage drop = (Size of oven in KVA/Fault level in KVA) x 100. This may be added to the no load voltage variation already recorded. But this addition may be negligible in this case.

Besoeker

No. There is a simple formula to calculate the voltage drop.

Voltage drop = (Size of oven in KVA/Fault level in KVA) x 100. This may be added to the no load voltage variation already recorded. But this addition may be negligible in this case.
Plus all the assumptions required to compute the fault level...........

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Plus all the assumptions required to compute the fault level...........
No, not at all necessary. The elegant formula of voltage drop in my previous post gives a way out.
A known resistance of high power dissipation may be connected across the required points and its power consumption may be measured. The voltage drop with the resistance may also measured with a good quality digital voltmeter. Substituting these values in the above formula will give the fault level there.

iwire

Staff member
It will be interesting to calculate how much more voltage variation will be due to the extra 70kW load, given the fault level at that point. Any calculations from your end?

What does 'the fault level' have to do with the OPs question at all?

You need to start your own threads for your own topics.

iwire

Staff member
Thank you all for your input.

I will get in touch with the manufacturer myself (via email) and get my questions answered in writing.

Considering this I am closing this thread, anyone that wants to continue with side topics can start there own threads to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.