conductor split between 2 lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'll assume you are not talking about the lack of white tape. :grin:

I'm sure there is another article but I would use art. 310.4(A) for paralleled conductors being a minimum of 1/0

One-eyed Jack

I'll assume you are not talking about the lack of white tape. :grin:

I'm sure there is another article but I would use art. 310.4(A) for paralleled conductors being a minimum of 1/0

I don't have a problem with that. All of the strands were terminated and he did not put more "conductors" under the lug than it was rated for. It would be a real stretch to call it "parrallel".

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't have a problem with that. All of the strands were terminated and he did not put more "conductors" under the lug than it was rated for. It would be a real stretch to call it "parrallel".

why would that be a stretch? It is parallel, IMO. Do I think there should be a problem with this-- probably not but I don't see it as code compliant.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not much different than 110.3(b) (and I agree I hate using that one, but sometimes it's the best we can do), but 110.14 states:"......devices such as pressure terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs shall be identified for the material of the conductor and shall be properly installed and used."
The data stickers on the panels give the wire range for "proper use"

One-eyed Jack

Not much different than 110.3(b) (and I agree I hate using that one, but sometimes it's the best we can do), but 110.14 states:"......devices such as pressure terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs shall be identified for the material of the conductor and shall be properly installed and used."
The data stickers on the panels give the wire range for "proper use"

If you measure the individual groups of conductors they will fit nicely within the wire range specified. He did not trim the conductor to fit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
They may fit. but the lug isn't listed for that wire range.
That two ply tire fits my truck, but won't carry the payload.:)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If you measure the individual groups of conductors they will fit nicely within the wire range specified. He did not trim the conductor to fit.

I don't see how you can use that argument, and then say they aren't parallel conductors.

If the contact resistance of the two sets of wires aren't the same, the current won't divide evenly.

Steve

480sparky

I don't see how you can use that argument, and then say they aren't parallel conductors.

If the contact resistance of the two sets of wires aren't the same, the current won't divide evenly.

Steve

Most stranded conductors have an odd number of strands. That alone will prevent the current from dividing evenly. Some even have 2-3 different sizes of strands.

Jim W in Tampa

That wire was not listed to be terminated that way. Also not good workmanship. Do the right thing and tag it. Not tagging this is unfair to the others that spend time and money to comply with nec. Only hacks do tricks like this.

One-eyed Jack

How other than UL listed is an addalug any different?

My point exactly. Mechanical lugs for "single" conductors with two set screws are readily available. Two compression points on a single conductor spaced 3/8 inch apart. You guys don't seriously think that a detrimental current division is going to occur at that point.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
My point exactly. Mechanical lugs for "single" conductors with two set screws are readily available. Two compression points on a single conductor spaced 3/8 inch apart. You guys don't seriously think that a detrimental current division is going to occur at that point.

No, but if I have to go to court, I don't want to try and justify a violation I chose not to enforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.