conductor split between 2 lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is a single conductor under two compression points IMO.
Of course it is. That is my point. A conductor (please note: singular) must be terminated under an individual terminal (please note: also singular). The photo shows one conductor being terminated under two terminals. I call that a violation of 408.41.

480sparky

Of course it is. That is my point. A conductor (please note: singular) must be terminated under an individual terminal (please note: also singular). The photo shows one conductor being terminated under two terminals. I call that a violation of 408.41.

charlie wins. Everyone send him a dollar. :D

One-eyed Jack

You left out the part; that is not used for another conductor. Ther is no other conductor. The intent of this section IMO is to not have multiple circuit neutrals under one termination point.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
It must be one termination point, and that termination point must not also have another conductor attached. The wording, as written, requires both. The sentence does not say that a neutral conductor must be attached to one or more termination points, none of which can also have another conductor.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
When you do parallel do you pull the same length wires? I think not. Then one leg is pulling more amps than the
other; I would rather split my wire within 3/8" than explain why my feeders aren't the same length.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And of course this is basically the same as what the installer has done but it is legal. :-?

646134_front200.jpg

jwjrw

And of course this is basically the same as what the installer has done but it is legal. :-?

646134_front200.jpg

Ok I see your point and cant say that a better connection would be made in the cheater lug but it looks hackish so I wouldnt do it if for no other reason then that.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Why do you thing that is legal? Specifically, are you suggesting that you can take a stranded wire, separate the strands into two groups, and land each group on a separate one of the lugs you are showing? I think not.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Why do you thing that is legal? Specifically, are you suggesting that you can take a stranded wire, separate the strands into two groups, and land each group on a separate one of the lugs you are showing? I think not.
Because the lug is listed for the purpose with some panels. In fact, they use to supply them withe , I think, ITE panels years ago. I never said separating the strands was legal in fact I said the opposite.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

646134_front200.jpg

I'm not sure I agree that it is basically the same.

It's likely that each finger on this lug has a greater ampacity than 1/2 the strands of the wire. Its even possible that each finger is rated for the full ampacity of the wire that the lug is used to terminate. At any rate, the lug is at least UL listed, so its been tested and proven safe.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I'm not sure I agree that it is basically the same.

It's likely that each finger on this lug has a greater ampacity than 1/2 the strands of the wire. Its even possible that each finger is rated for the full ampacity of the wire that the lug is used to terminate. At any rate, the lug is at least UL listed, so its been tested and proven safe.

No arguments there, however, the fact that the wire is essentially the same length means that the current will be virtually equal on the split. If this is so then there would be no need to oversize the fingers.

The fact is the code says no--- I just don't see where there should be an issue in this install. Would I turn it down? Probably just to make a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.