correction time for posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Do you like the time limit? Any ideas about how else the problem with the post changing abusers might have been handled?

Before going any further, I want to be clear that I'm not beating up on the moderators as I think they do a great job and am not being critical of their decision as I may have made the same choice if I were in their shoes.

I'm not sure how much abuse was going on with changing prior posts without making edit notes, but I see a few issues with the time limit and was just wondering how some others felt.

I am prone to typos and stupid mistakes and I find myself less enthused about making corrections when you have to create a whole new post to do it. I am aware that some corrections are not a real big deal, and don't add beefy substance to the discussion, but it would be nice to correct them for future readers. I think any new substance should be in a new post.

The problem with correcting some silly math error or spelling error or some silly word use error is that those who have been interested in the thread see a new post and will go to the thread thinking something interesting is happening. Then they feel they have wasted their time because it is just a minor correction.

The problem with not correcting it is that the thread can seem like...well I'll leave that up to the reader, but it sure would be nice to have a cleaner thread for future readers.

When I'm writing at work, I have more time to proof my documents. Maybe not having that time here will make me a better poster but it sure is not as relaxing as it used to be. I find as I am getting older that I am making more typos and it bugs me. Maybe it just bothers me too much and maybe I'm just having a problem dealing with getting older.

I was just curious how some of you feel about it.

iwire

Staff member
We are still working out how much time will be allowed to edit your own posts.

There is a good reason the time limit was put in place and it is for the betterment of the forum. :smile:

M. D.

see what I mean:D , what I don't understand is the 60 second delay :roll: good morning guys

mivey

chris kennedy said:
How much time do you get?

How much time do you feel you need?
I think you get 10 minutes. Sometimes I may not return to a thread for several hours or even a day or so if I am out working. When I read what I posted, it suprises me sometimes as I would swear that was not what I saw on my screen at the time. :smile:

iwire said:
There is a good reason the time limit was put in place and it is for the betterment of the forum. :smile:
I don't argue that point at all as I think the moderators do a good job trying to better the forum. I just find it frustrating that a few abusers ruin it for the rest. I was just spoiled by the longer correction times we used to have.

Maybe there is more to it than that but would stepping on the abusers a little harder have fixed the problem? Like I said, I don't know how much stuff was going on.

I'm sure the members could have helped by not even responding to the post changers until they mended their ways. Or, we could have even quoted the abuser's prior posts more when we realized the poster was abusing the edit function.

On a side note about the betterment of the forum: could we have a thread or something about foul language abuse? I am embarrased by some of the stuff posted here but am trying not to be a prude. * and _ and # and such don't alw*ys get it, if you follow my illustration, and sometimes even those are left out. I work with some linemen that could peel the paint off of a truck with their language, but I don't hang around them when it is not necessary for work. I realize I am here by choice and enjoy the site, but there are times I'm glad my wife is not in the room, and wish I wasn't.

mivey

M. D. said:
see what I mean:D , what I don't understand is the 60 second delay :roll: good morning guys
Good morning. The 60 second delay is so you won't have this.

mivey

M. D. said:
Good morning. The 60 second delay is so you won't have this.

M. D.

I like the fact that changes to posts will have to be foot noted,.. so to speak ,.. that way we all know what and why,.. 10 minuets seems fair to me.

iwire

Staff member
mivey said:
I think you get 10 minutes. Sometimes I may not return to a thread for several hours or even a day or so if I am out working.

There is no chance that editing will be allowed several hours or days later, not going to happen.

I doubt you will see it over 1 hour and even that is doubtful.

When I read what I posted, it surprises me sometimes as I would swear that was not what I saw on my screen at the time. :smile:

Well .... all I can say is proof read more, use the preview screen that is available, don't post in a hurry.

I just find it frustrating that a few abusers ruin it for the rest.

Unfortunately that is the way of the world, not just this forum.

Maybe there is more to it than that but would stepping on the abusers a little harder have fixed the problem?

The issue with that approach is once the person has done it, it's done we can not put it back.

On the other hand if there is a good reason to edit something days or weeks in the future the moderators can always do so.

Like I said, I don't know how much stuff was going on.

Actually not a lot but enough and it is not fair to to the members.

Lets say you put your time and energy into a deep thread with a member, then that member goes and deletes or changes all their posts (it has happened) is that fair to you? Would you be as likely to put that effort in again?

On a side note about the betterment of the forum: could we have a thread or something about foul language abuse? I am embarrassed by some of the stuff posted here but am trying not to be a prude. * and _ and # and such don't alw*ys get it, if you follow my illustration, and sometimes even those are left out. I work with some linemen that could peel the paint off of a truck with their language, but I don't hang around them when it is not necessary for work. I realize I am here by choice and enjoy the site, but there are times I'm glad my wife is not in the room, and wish I wasn't.

I am 100% behind you in that, I regular remove or edit out foul or rude language and many of the Moderators do. You don't think this place is as squeaky clean as it is all by itself do you?

When have you seen an 'F-bomb' or advertising, or pictures that are beyond a 'G' rating or really anything to far off topic of the electrical trade? :smile:

If anyone at anytime sees a post that has foul language or any questionable material please notify us, as much time as we spend here we can not see it all, we do need help.

Use this
report.gif
at the top right of each post to report any post that is questionable.

You might check out the 'stickys' in the NEC forum for more info, here is a reminder that is always there #5

I, as you know, sometimes write lengthy posts. I almost always will proof read it in the preview portion of the post before sending it...not always, mostly.

The issue with most of us, including myself is the need for speed. I am always in a rush, and that is when I make the most mistakes.
So, SLOOOOOOOW down, proof read and then you will be a little happier.

What irks me on this site is the spelling and the sentence structure - or lack of it. I am amazed at how some people can actually understand some of the questions here. I generally just skip those threads, it is no big deal.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
mivey said:
I'm sure the members could have helped by not even responding to the post changers until they mended their ways. Or, we could have even quoted the abuser's prior posts more when we realized the poster was abusing the edit function.

There are a few select individuals that cause me make a point to quote their entire post, especially on other forums, for just that reason. If you have ever been in the center of (or witnessed) a bitter personal attack, only to see the offender wipe clean all their posts and walk away with an ostensibly squeaky clean post record thereafter, you'd appreciate the ten minute limit all the more.

People abuse the edit function, so the limit is necessary. It's better with, than without, IMO. :)

mivey

doing it the hard way

doing it the hard way

I just installed the spell checker (the one I ignored in the upper right corner of the reply window) so I can check spelling before posting. Believe it or not, I had been pasting long posts into Word for checking when I felt like it. What a knuckle-head.:roll: Now if we just had a grammar-checker.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
George Stolz said:
There are a few select individuals that cause me make a point to quote their entire post
What?

mivey said:
I just installed the spell checker (the one I ignored in the upper right corner of the reply window)
I don't see this. Somehow I lost spell-check here and its a PITA.

frizbeedog

mivey said:
I just installed the spell checker (the one I ignored in the upper right corner of the reply window) so I can check spelling before posting. Believe it or not, I had been pasting long posts into Word for checking when I felt like it. What a knuckle-head.:roll: Now if we just had a grammar-checker.

Remember, they still publish dictionarys. I have one handy near the desk. You can use spell checker if you want, but when you are unsure if the usage is correct the dictionary is great. If you have the time.

It's a fast as you can , hair on fire world we live in, so I try my best to slow down when I can. Believe it or not sometimes slower is faster. At least for me. I don't know why.

Can I still PWI if I'm nice. :wink: :D

mivey

frizbeedog said:
Remember, they still publish dictionarys. I have one handy near the desk. You can use spell checker if you want, but when you are unsure if the usage is correct the dictionary is great. If you have the time.

It's a fast as you can , hair on fire world we live in, so I try my best to slow down when I can. Believe it or not sometimes slower is faster. At least for me. I don't know why.

Can I still PWI if I'm nice. :wink: :D
frizbeedog looks like he is not too interested in the slowing down thing. I have a basset hound that will shove his nose under my arm when I'm trying to type if he thinks he needs my attention and he does not get the "wait a minute" thing.

The spell checker thingy here will also link a dictionary on the word in question.

nakulak

I like having a week or so to correct in the event that I make a really, really serious grammatical error. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.