Cutting cover plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky76

grinder

grinder

Had to cut down 2 plates today (hard plastic type). I used a torpedo and pecil to mark it and 4" grinder with a metal grinding blade. Came out pretty good, first one I took out a little too much but used caulking up against door trim to fill small gap. It looked like it was meant to be there.

Never had any success w/ a sawzall. plates always cracked.

mtec

Chop saw with metal blade is the best. I slide the device away from were i need to cut, mesure, cut, then I can push back to trim work makes for a nice fit

macmikeman

Dennis Alwon said:
I say chop saw but be careful it is easy for the plate to slide or jump and cut you pretty bad.

That is why I now go with the diamond blade in the grinder. I have seen chop saws send plates into near earth orbit.:D Chop saw will cut a nicer line though. Message to kids- we are all professonals here at MH and we know what we are doing. Don't try any of these tricks at home.......:roll:

480sparky

yodaplate.jpg

iwire

Staff member
For cutting $0.30 plates nothing less then a CNC high pressure water jet cutter should be used. I keep this one in a trailer behind my truck. :D

DWJ3020-BB_CNC.jpg

480sparky

iwire said:
For cutting $0.30 plates nothing less then a CNC high pressure water jet cutter should be used. I keep this one in a trailer behind my truck. :D

Dang, Bob! I'd hate to see how many gangs you have in your boxes! :grin:

peter d

iwire said:

Gee I don't know Bob, that doesn't seem accurate enough. ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.